• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Road for the Fallen

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

nosecap

Okay guys, this is just a experiment after many years of not writing, if I could get some opinions plz? (typos may appear since I don't own a Word, I did it with wordpad.

------

In a valley, where once a beautiful village bloomed, only thing that remained was dust and old shapes of wood which highly resembled torn out houses. The view was silent and almost too peaceful to be true.

Soon afterwards two large blood red airships full of cannons, flew through the sky with two smaller ships engaging them and firing them from very close. As one of the larger airships got hit, soldiers gathered to the deck readying their weapons. As the men dashed to the deck from below, a brown haired young man was readying his gun with nervous hands, only dropping it to the floor.

A large man in green outfit and red cape approached the young man and told him to get to the deck before he would make it his personal duty to drop him off board. The young brown haired man nodded and readied himself for the battle ahead. He ran upstairs to the deck, and approached the edge of the ship and began to fire the smaller ones.

Sound of militia and firing echoed all the way to the ground, before a large explosion triggered. The second of the larger ships lost control and began to spin, making it to lose it's propels. Soon, when the grey sky engulfed the ships, and not a sound of the previous battle could be heard. Only the echo of the wind whispered in the air.

Hours passed and yet anything didn't happen. The wind whispered and the water made it's own sounds as it reached the shore. The water carried many things to the shore as the hours passed - logs, iron, furniture and much more. When one of the logs reached the shore, a young male hold onto it, only struggling to keep himself out of the water. He crawled towards one of the fallen buildings in a state of pain, now only gasping breath and spitting blood. He leaned against the wall watching the grey sky which soon uncovered the nights sky and the three moons.

"Where am I?" The man said, apparently only to himself since there was no one to be seen.
"Gotta get up... agh!" He yelled as he desperately fell to the ground. "Damn it, DAMN IT!" He yelled and punched the wall that he leaned onto again and tried to use his healing ablities to heal his leg which had really severe wound. After few moments, the wound was restored and he stood up, gazing into the area, trying to know where he was. "Aww damn, let's see, where the hell is this place... I can't remember anything."

Even that he tried from all of his heart, he couldn't remember nothing else than a voice in his head calling him Jaques, and a man of his age in military uniform with quite long, black hair calling him friend. Several other memories rushed trought his mind but they were only flashbacks, and they didn't hold much importance at the moment.

He examined the area where he had ended up in hoping that he would find something of use. He ended up only finding a rusty sword from the water and wet bandages. The temperature was going down fast, but all the wood was either burned or wet. He scratched his head for a moment only to realize that he had a wound in his head as well, as it burned when touched.

"Well, this explains a lot of things, ha." He said and wiped the blood into his sleeve. He realized that there was no need to stay into the shore, since there wasn't anything that really could had helped him to survive throught the night. He began to walk in the direction off the shore where he saw trees and grass, with a wide road. He hoped to find something or somebody in the midst of the night, and ask for directions before he would end up nowhere.

As he walked throught the forest, noises all around could be heard and something was coming near. Very near.

Jaques began to run throught the woods, and before he even could make one step after another, a large creature which resembled like a lion but it didn't got a tail, it was replaced by snake. With it's completely white eyes it stared the man, waiting him to do something. The man stared the creature into the eyes, only thinking what to do. Soon he unsheated his sword and took his stance with no hesitation.

"So I can handle a sword, huh?" He said curiously before the creature dashed and jumped in to the direction of the male. He dodged, and blocked one of the attacks that the creature striked on him. The second one injured his left arm, and he was forced to let his grip go with the other hand making his stance even more unstable.

As the creature dashed again, Jaques blocked an attack and immediatly swinged his sword, making a scar into the head of the creature. It backed off for a bit, and soon fled. He soon leaned into a tree and used the bandages from earlier, since he didn't feel like using magic would work here. He soon continued his journey, but ran this time, just to make it sure that any other fiends wouldn't attack him in the middle of the night.

As several hours had passed and it has started to rain, heavily. He quickened his pace in hopes to find a shelter for night.

He finally reached a village that wasn't burnt down or neither abandoned. The gates made of wood were many times higher as most of the trees in the forest, so he was amazed. Soon he slammed the door with his right hand as hard as he could and shouted at the same time if someone would open. A hatch opened in front of his face, and a night patrol guard stared him from the other side.

"Password?" The man said with a questioning voice.
"I-I don't know any passwords, just let me inside, I seek shelter for night!" Jaques said as if like something would had been after him.
"Just joking, kid. we don't get visitors too often. Hrhm?" He said as he opened the door for him, and saw the wound in his hand.
"I-it's nothing..." He said as he covered it with his left sleeve and headed for the tavern, leaving the night patrol to his post.

As he arrived to the warm and big tavern, he just couldn't notice that there was people more that there could fit in any tavern, as much of them sat on the tables drinking or sitting in corners, or in front of the fireplace. Suddenly the tavern owner approached the young man.

"You need a room, we ain't got one. There's no other taverns around, so you can stay in floor if you want, free of charge of course. Ale's a different thing, aye." The man said.
"It's okay, I can bear with it..." Jaques said as he noticed that the tavern owner had a eye patch in his right eye and very much scars, propably from the edge of bullets and sword. The man resembled someone, but he couldn't figure out who. He watched the man leave again to behind the desk and he himself headed to a shady corner, and wrapped himself around a blanket that was lying in the floor.

Few moments later, a tall man with long hair and messy beard approached him. As he had a dark green hood covering most of his head, he seemed frightening to Jaques. The man also had many accessories with him, daggers and swords mostly, but only one gun.

"Excuse me, but that was my blanket." He said and smirked.
"Oh! I'm so sorry, I can give it back, I just took it because I was cold and wet..."
"It's okay, you can keep it for now since you seem to need it more than I do." The man said and gave a slight laughter.
"Thank you... seems like this is the only positive thing that has happened to me tonight..."

"Why's that?" The man questioned and lighted his long pipe.
"Long story... may I ask your name?"
"Ailom, strange name, I know." The man said as he smirked again.
"What's yours?" Ailom asked.
"Jagues, that's the only thing that I remember, and swordfighting... nothing much really."
"Well, Jagues, your memory loss is in bad situation here since a war is going to start in any moments between Horiatos and Chonno. These are travellers who have fled their homes from the way of war, and there's a lot of them as you can clearly see..."
"Oh." Jagues simply said.

Last edited:

Oriax

I like the general idea, the storyline is pretty good :D

What I would say though is that you could use some more description, for example:
Soon afterwards two large airships flew through the sky with two smaller ships engaging them, firing them from very close. Sound of militia and firing echoed all the way to the ground, before a large explosion triggered. The second of the larger ships lost control and began to spin, making it to lose it's propels. Soon, when the grey sky engulfed the ships, not a sound of the previous battle could be heard. Only the echo of the wind whispered in the air.
Maybe describing the airships - what do they look like - markings etc.
Also, describing the battle would be good too. As your guy, Jagues, has lost his memory, the battle is obviously an important event and therefore it would be good to describe the battle more as it is emphasising his memory loss.
I would say the same for other parts of it too - just more description, describe his setting, describe how he feels without his memory etc etc etc

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh there, I didn't mean too - just giving you ideas hopefully :)

Hope I helped :D

nosecap

Ah, thought that someone would mention about that just a while ago. I'm not really good in describing things even thought that I would think something to tell...

But thanks! I'll edit for sure, and continue since I've got pretty good ideas.

Oriax

Description is what brings most things alive, it is there to bring the reader into the world of the character and is one of the most important things a story requires :)
But you say you are not good at it? Well, practice practice and it will get better my friend :)
Good luck :)

& you're welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back