• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► Regarding the sequel baiting arguement

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Kh3, does have sequel baiting but its not a bad thing. Whats a bad thing is that Verum Rex looks so f***ing cool and overshadows it. Whats worse is that its not even a real game, so KH3 hypes you up for something that doesnt exist but makes it look so convincing that you still get hyped up anyway. Id enjoy KH3 more if the Verum Rex trailer was never shown and they only showed the Box Art of the game.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
On the bright side we could actually get to experiance the Verum Rex game through Quadratum. Given how that story plays out we could get to see the storyline of the game through Sora, Riku, or Yozora's perspective

Awards
On the bright side we could actually get to experiance the Verum Rex game through Quadratum. Given how that story plays out we could get to see the storyline of the game through Sora, Riku, or Yozora's perspective

its such a slap in the face. its like you win a prize at a competitin and then they announce a bigger competition with a bigger prize so your vicotry feels pointless. personally, i wasnt really a big fan of the Unreal Engine used, everything looks like its made of playdough. So whatever is made next, it will look better in my eyes. I even kinda prefer the PS2 graphics really and its not nostalgia because i generally dont like PS4 graphics. I prefer stuf like Dark souls 1 and Eldens Ring in terms of style. FF Origin also looks really good

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Id enjoy KH3 more if the Verum Rex trailer was never shown and they only showed the Box Art of the game.

Fair opinion. However, just wanted to point out that I found it incredibly clever and fun of them to try and recreate the openings of all the disney movies in the intro cutscenes of the worlds we visit. For Toy Story there was always some sort of elaborate recreation of a game--some sort of outlandish scenario that was then revealed to be just a video game or child's play. Toy Story 2 opened with Buzz doing some crazy stuff on another planet only for it to be revealed as Rex playing a video game.

It was very much a play on that for them to flash the Verum Rex "commercial" as the intro only to have it be revealed as "just a commercial" in the world intro. Only for that then to come back as an extra twist later. I found it incredibly cool and a sign that they put a lot of care and thought into designing things.

Awards
However, just wanted to point out that I found it incredibly clever and fun of them to try and recreate the openings of all the disney movies in the intro cutscenes of the worlds we visit. For Toy Story there was always some sort of elaborate recreation of a game--some sort of outlandish scenario that was then revealed to be just a video game or child's play. Toy Story 2 opened with Buzz doing some crazy stuff on another planet only for it to be revealed as Rex playing a video game

i think they wre really just flexing with how far their technological abilities have come. "Look, we can basically recreate a Pixar movie in the game now"

It was very much a play on that for them to flash the Verum Rex "commercial" as the intro only to have it be revealed as "just a commercial" in the world intro. Only for that then to come back as an extra twist later.

i found it funny when Sora tried to convince donald that he really does look like Yozora lol.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
As much as Verem Rex is interesting and all that, in no way do I find it more interesting than what was already going on. In fact, I feel like Verem Rex added complexity we probably didn't need but it is what it is. I just hope these new OCs aren't meant to take the place of the existing FF characters again. Doesn't matter to me if new FF characters aren't added to the series, I just don't want the told ones to be yeeted in favor of new characters.

Awards
As much as Verem Rex is interesting and all that, in no way do I find it more interesting than what was already going on. In fact, I feel like Verem Rex added complexity we probably didn't need but it is what it is. I just hope these new OCs aren't meant to take the place of the existing FF characters again. Doesn't matter to me if new FF characters aren't added to the series, I just don't want the told ones to be yeeted in favor of new characters.
its not the story so much that i like, i just thought the graphics look rly cool, the weapons too. I mean, emo teenager with laser sword and crossbow is kinda cool dont you think?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Eh. The graphics look like any other fancy high budget Square game/opening, I'm amazed that people are still absolutely wowed and floor by graphics these days. Impressed a little, maybe. But good graphics do not make an interesting game.

Pretty sure Yozora is a grown man, and the emo boy look is not new, Kingdom Hearts had plenty of them already.

Awards
Pretty sure Yozora is a grown man, and the emo boy look is not new, Kingdom Hearts had plenty of them already.

i dont think he is older than 20. he looks pretty small too. Yeah the emo boy isnt new, Roxas did it first, but it was and still is cool. definately more hype than the armors and creepy old man

GreyouTT

Awards
Game Clear unlock: Yozora Must Die mode

darknessofheart

Awards
Eh. The graphics look like any other fancy high budget Square game/opening, I'm amazed that people are still absolutely wowed and floor by graphics these days. Impressed a little, maybe. But good graphics do not make an interesting game.
This right here is exactly why I was so disappointed by the secret ending of KHIII. The whole movie seemed to have been a "Look how amazing and lifelike these graphics are" when they were pretty par the course for many games. KHI and II's secret endings had amazing graphics as well, but they weren't indicative of the final product we got in the teased game, so the graphics alone are not a selling point at all for me. At the time though, I found the graphics in I and II to be truly mind-blowing because of where technology was at the time, but the main intrigue of those movies for me was the action and the mysteries they were setting up. Just having random text and quotes flood the screen was much more thought-provoking than what we got in KHIII's secret ending in my opinion.

In KHIII's secret ending, there was literally no action, just Sora and Riku waking up in yet another city. Sora and Riku being amazed at their surroundings never made sense to me because they've been in similar settings, Sora being in one from that same game. So, all we got was a secret ending with no intriguing text, no action, yet another figure in a black coat (if I never see these outfits used ever again in a KH game, it will be soon) that most correctly speculated was the MoM, and simply a showcase of graphics that weren't really as impressive as I think SE thought. The other secret endings really pumped me up for what was to come in the series and I couldn't wait for the next game. This one was just "meh, I'll wait and see." Though, to be fair, 10+ games in, I'm not sure if any secret movie could keep my investment up as high as it once was.

Last edited:

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
This right here is exactly why I was so disappointed by the secret ending of KHIII. The whole movie seemed to have been a "Look how amazing and lifelike these graphics are" when they were pretty par the course for many games. KHI and II's secret endings had amazing graphics as well, but they weren't indicative of the final product we got in the teased game, so the graphics alone are not a selling point at all for me. At the time though, I found the graphics in I and II to be truly mind-blowing because of where technology was at the time, but the main intrigue of those movies for me was the action and the mysteries they were setting up. Just having random text and quotes flood the screen was much more thought-provoking than what we got in KHIII's secret ending in my opinion.

In KHIII's secret ending, there was literally no action, just Sora and Riku waking up in yet another city. Sora and Riku being amazed at their surroundings never made sense to me because they've been in similar settings, Sora being in one from that same game. So, all we got was a secret ending with no intriguing text, no action, yet another figure in a black coat (if I never see these outfits used ever again in a KH game, it will be soon) that most correctly speculated was the MoM, and simply a showcase of graphics that weren't really as impressive as I think SE thought. The other secret endings really pumped me up for what was to come in the series and I couldn't wait for the next game. This one was just "meh, I'll wait and see." Though, to be fair, 10+ games in, I'm not sure if any secret movie could keep my investment up as high as it once was.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your comment but it does feel a bit like you are comparing apples to oranges with the secret endings, which is slightly unfair. The original secret endings for KH1 and KH2 (another side another story and the gathering) are VERY different from the final mix version secret endings of 1 and 2 (deep dive and birth by sleep) which were quite expanded and added a LOT more content. KH3's vanilla secret ending is much more in line with the former set rather than the later set. However, KH3's "final mix" secret ending would be imo the entire sequence from Sora waking up in Yozora's final world through the end of his battle with Yozora and the final scenes depending on win or loss. So in that sense KH3's final secret ending is incredible because its technically playable--a first. So if you are going to be comparing things like Deep Dive or Birth By Sleep secret ending to KH3 you should probably be comparing it to the Re:mind version of the secret ending.

Apologies if you were strictly talking about ASAS and Gathering, I wasn't sure.

Now, if we are talking about the vanilla secret endings as a whole, obviously people are entitled to be hyped by different things, but just my opinion on the matter is that the vanilla KH3 ending trailer was just as hype if not more for me personally than, say, the vanilla KH2 one, the Gathering. Maybe this is because I live in Tokyo, but suddenly seeing Sora wake up somewhere and realizing all too suddenly like "wait what the hell thats Shibuya--why is he there? HOW is he there?"
It was a really cool moment for me because I could recognize the landmarks the game was teasing immediately and it opened a HUGE can of questions. It didn't need text posing random gibberish quotes because the images themselves were intriguing enough. "Is it ACTUALLY Shibuya? Is it the WEWY Shibuya? Isn't he supposed to be dead though? Do KH characters go to the real world when they die!? But...Riku was there..."

We were essentially told "hey, Sora and Riku are somehow in the real world now. Maybe. And also the person who was supposed to be a video game character ISN'T just a video game character which means KH might be getting insanely meta"

Not only that but imo it was pretty dang cool seeing the KH characters in my city, and laughing at the little joke about the MoM essentially standing on top of the Square Enix building.

To me it left WAY more unanswered questions that I could actually theorize about, vs something say, The Gathering. In that ending I saw 3 people I didn't know and had no reason to care for standing around and just sort of...picking Keyblades up with ominous quotes from ansem reports flashing at me. It felt like a promotional movie teaser trailer that tells me basically nothing but "hey, I guess we are going to learn about Keyblades and the past of Keyblade wielders or something". Then....that's it really. Not saying it is BAD, but I didn't particularly feel hyped after watching it. I was more confused than anything else. There is also not a lot of "action" in this trailer either, honestly. They just walk forward a bit and pick Keyblades up out of the dirt.

I get hyped when I get actual tangible morsels of concepts I can actually theorize with, and also offers me information about characters that I already have a reason to care about. It's why ASAS was absolutely spectacular. It was very cinematic, but also teased the fates of characters I was already invested in.

I think there was a really nice balance with the KH3 vanilla and with the Re:mind secret endings.

Not that I think you should change your mind, you can feel however you like-- just trying to give some insight into why I liked the KH3 one.

i think they wre really just flexing with how far their technological abilities have come. "Look, we can basically recreate a Pixar movie in the game now"
Well, no. It wasn't about "recreating a Pixar movie" in terms of graphics, it was about capturing the STYLE of the movie. It's why Olympus Coliseum opens with a narrator talking about Hercules and Hades (because that's how the movie Hercules starts). It's why Kingdom of Corona opened with young Rapunzel talking to Mother Gothel about needing to stay in the tower, because that's how the movie started.

They introduced a flashy crazy out of the world high-budget cutscene of stuff that makes no sense only to pull the rug out and be like PSYCHE it was a COMMERCIAL....because that's what Toy Story did in their opening to the movie.

Last edited:
Awards
, but just my opinion on the matter is that the vanilla KH3 ending trailer was just as hype if not more for me personally than, say, the vanilla KH2 one, the Gathering. Maybe this is because I live in Tokyo, but suddenly seeing Sora wake up somewhere and realizing all too suddenly like "wait what the hell thats Shibuya--why is he there? HOW is he there?"
It was a really cool moment for me because I could recognize the landmarks the game was teasing immediately and it opened a HUGE can of questions. It didn't need text posing random gibberish quotes because the images themselves were intriguing enough. "Is it ACTUALLY Shibuya? Is it the WEWY Shibuya? Isn't he supposed to be dead though? Do KH characters go to the real world when they die!? But...Riku was there..."

We were essentially told "hey, Sora and Riku are somehow in the real world now. Maybe. And also the person who was supposed to be a video game character ISN'T just a video game character which means KH might be getting insanely meta"

Not only that but imo it was pretty dang cool seeing the KH characters in my city, and laughing at the little joke about the MoM essentially standing on top of the Square Enix building.

Personally, I was never fan of the Gatherig or the Birth By Sleep movie. It didnt click for me. I found the armors to look kinda silly especially Terra's who looks like Batman and the old man with spiderman sidekick was silly as well. KH1 secret ending was cooler, cause it had an emo teenager with too keyblades and an older Riku fighting in a modern looking city. And KH3 is kinda similar to it too, you got Sora vs Yozora, an emo teenager with a laser sword, fighting in a city based off Tokyo.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Can't really say which I was more excited for but I think the Gathering did present a lot of questions to the audience at the time. Mostly "Is this KH3?!"

Most of the intrigue came from the fact that these three had keyblades (so people theorized maybe it was Sora, Riku, and Kairi), there were keyblades all around them, and they picked up not just any random keyblades, but Sora, Riku and Mickey's keyblades.

I'm sure if we dig into ancient history we could find what people were saying at the time and all theories it produced, but I'm too lazy to do that.

But I think fandom wise, it kinda feels like the Birth by Sleep one created the most fan theories (maybe BHK did even more though?) and it lasted quite a long time. I don't see that many people discussing Yozora or what the KH3 secret ending meant. People speculated about Birth by Sleep like rabid dogs even after it was revealed not to be KH3.

Awards
Can't really say which I was more excited for but I think the Gathering did present a lot of questions to the audience at the time. Mostly "Is this KH3?!"

Most of the intrigue came from the fact that these three had keyblades (so people theorized maybe it was Sora, Riku, and Kairi), there were keyblades all around them, and they picked up not just any random keyblades, but Sora, Riku and Mickey's keyblades.

I'm sure if we dig into ancient history we could find what people were saying at the time and all theories it produced, but I'm too lazy to do that.

But I think fandom wise, it kinda feels like the Birth by Sleep one created the most fan theories (maybe BHK did even more though?) and it lasted quite a long time. I don't see that many people discussing Yozora or what the KH3 secret ending meant. People speculated about Birth by Sleep like rabid dogs even after it was revealed not to be KH3.

the birth by sleep ending was like in 2007 and by 2008 there was a trailer for the game so it was easy for people to tell who was who. KH3, on the other hand, its been three years and we still have nothing. Obviously there were many quiestions in 2007 pre bbs announcement, i still remember that fake PS3 box art about KH3.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
The first Birth by Sleep tease at the end of KH2 came out I believe in 2005, not 2007. Then Final Mix had the full version I believe which was in 2007. I think 2008 was the first time there was a teaser for the game. That's about 3ish years of speculation, about the same amount of time so far.

It could simply be my perception, but I remember a lot more speculation about BbS at this time than Yozora so far.

Awards
The first Birth by Sleep tease at the end of KH2 came out I believe in 2005, not 2007. Then Final Mix had the full version I believe which was in 2007. I think 2008 was the first time there was a teaser for the game. That's about 3ish years of speculation, about the same amount of time so far.

yeah i didnt play KH2 till 2006 and i didnt watch the secret ending till 2007. Also, KH2 was only out in japan in 2005 so for most of the world they would see the secret ending at 2006

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
The theories and discussions that went on for 3 years was not exclusive to japan. People imported the Japanese version. Video sites just for Kingdom Hearts existed before even Youtube. The release date being different outside of Japan doesn't really deter the amount of discussion there was. Final Mix/the full trailer was never released in the US until recently and it was still all over the internet being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back