• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Psycho-Pass

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

iLeen

Awards
I mentioned about this anime in a post a while ago, but never made a thread about it, so here we go...

• Genre: Psychological, mystery
  • (Super long) Summary: (mixture of Wiki and my own knowledge) Set in the future, it is possible to measure a person's mental state and probability that a person may commit a crime thanks to the Sibyl System. The Sibyl system judges a person's "hue color" and crime coefficient number. A clear color and low number means that the person is clean from any suspicions of committing a crime. Actual colors and a high crime number will subject you to immediate detainment, or even death (people with these high numbers are known as latent criminals). Detectives acting as the "eyes" of the Sibyl system work as a group: Enforcers, who are latent criminals, and Inspectors, who normally have near to perfectly clear colored hues. The Enforcers deliver lethal justice using weapons called Denominators, which can measure a person's hue color/crime coefficient number and change accordingly to the person (people with somewhat high numbers just get zapped in order to knock them out but those with very high numbers and pose as an immediate threat are immediately killed on the spot). Inspectors are there to ensure the Enforcers perform their duties within the constraints of the law. The story follows Unit One of the Public Safety Bureau's Criminal Investigation Division, including the main protagonists Enforcer Shinya Kōgami and new Inspector Akane Tsunemori, in their daily tasks as detectives of the Sibyl System.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic anime/manga (better to watch the anime. There is only one chapter of the manga so far, and I think the anime came first). As much as I love
simple anime's, I love how intricate and thoughtful this anime is. A seemingly perfect, ideal society where crime is stopped before it can happen (Minority Report anyone?) can actually be more harmful than helpful. The more your freedom and actions are restricted by the law, the more inner turmoils increases within society. I promise you, there is an ongoing plot that this anime is following, I just didn't include any details on it. You can watch the anime to see what's going on;]

iLeen

Awards
Awesome! Tell me what you think of it whenever you get the chance to watch it:] I know, I have a weird username. "ileen" will do.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
[video=youtube;m2hyvgIy3T8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hyvgIy3T8[/video]

the show got better after about episode six, hoping it keeps up the trend

iLeen

Awards
[video=youtube;m2hyvgIy3T8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hyvgIy3T8[/video]

the show got better after about episode six, hoping it keeps up the trend
Wow. I never realized how awesome the music is. I mean, I thought it sounded cool while watching the show, but it sounds even better just listening to it.

I agree. The show gets better and better, one they establish all the terms and rules of the world, characters personalities, character relationships, show how the Enforcers and Inspectors work in general...and THEN we finally get to have a better glimpse at the main antagonist:3 Oh Makishima...you sure were too cruel killing Akane's friend like that. Wonder what he's really up to...or maybe his goal is really to simply spread chaos wherever he goes in retaliation to the Sibyl system and people who "don't think for themselves."

Sure thing, I'll tell ya when I watched it and what I think of it. but it will take sometime for me to watch it, maybe later. btw your username is awesome!
Haha. Thanks! Yours too! Sometimes, I wish I chose a simpler username like yours. Mines way too longXD
Take your time! The anime isn't going anywhere;] Plus, it'll be better because you can just watch the episodes straight in a row.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
That main theme is fantastic. Normally those tracks for the series are often some of the best.

I'm pretty behind on this series. I do plan on watching it all eventually. It's pretty coo'

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
This is definitely a good series, I just don't like one thing: the cases are way too bare and out in the open. They basically show you what Makashima is up to aside from his main goal, and then the mystery is just kind of gone. It's basically just "Welp. Let's see how they figure out how this all happened, even though the viewer already knows!"

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
This is definitely a good series, I just don't like one thing: the cases are way too bare and out in the open. They basically show you what Makashima is up to aside from his main goal, and then the mystery is just kind of gone. It's basically just "Welp. Let's see how they figure out how this all happened, even though the viewer already knows!"

Like a detective show where they don't leave the killers face just out of the light?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I actually think this show is at its strongest when it's not trying to be a detective show. The two arcs that I've honestly enjoyed ("the artist" and "the hunter") were great because it was a psychological thriller, not mystery. When Psycho-Pass tries to play the cop/detective genre straight, it kinda falls flat on its face. It resorts to Kougami's "detective skills" (ie: plot intuition/reading the script) or finds quick solutions via the "future technology" (ie: plot convenience/deus ex machina).

The latest episode is an example of why I dislike this show as a mystery series (along with other problems this show has). I just finished watching this (Ni no Kuni has left me a tad behind, lol), and I felt like I was watching one of the initial episodes all over again. I mean, you're honestly telling me that they can fill out quick search inquiries as complex as "anyone she knows that hasn't left their home for a while"? That just takes all he joy out of actually solving the mystery. The only decent detective work was the scene at the end where the dominator's reading helped them figure out the secret.

The bigger problem with the recent episode itself was how much it stretched my suspension of disbelief. You mean to tell me that they wouldn't normally do a background check on a victim? That's not standard procedure? More importantly, I simply don't buy the city's reaction to these events. I get that the idea is that they are so accustomed to Sybil's system that they don't think twice about it; but no, I'm sorry, I just can't see it. Do you really expect me to believe that people would just stand around watching someone get brutally beaten to death? No one had the sense to think that maybe something was off? It's not like they even ignored it, they expressly stood there and watched it. You're telling me that no one would come to the aid of someone asking for help just because an alarm didn't go off? And if so, doesn't that kind of insult the emotions of the other characters we've been seeing? This would imply that the only reason that one girl grieved for her dead friend (during "the artist" arc) was because Sybil told her it was alright because the crime was committed by someone with a high psycho-pass rating. The dominator failing Akane during that moment with Makishima lead her to wonder if something was wrong. But is that not what the society as a whole would do? They don't also recognize a murder in broad daylight as a "failure," but just assume that nothing is wrong? I'm sorry, I think this show's pushing a little too hard on that one.

But I am glad that they finally finished the second opening sequence, lol

iLeen

Awards
I agree. I'm more into the psychological thriller:3

I actually thought it was somewhat believable how the citizens reacted to the brutal scene. They probably never seen something like that, or ever heard of it on the news (movies don't count because it's usually hollywoodized, or they just don't show violent movies to avoid change of hue colors), because like that lady said to Ginoza, they have to make the people think that the Sibyl System is absolutely perfect. Therefore, seeing a brutal scene happening out in the open with none of the robots detecting a threat made them think that the scene was abnormal (since they've never seen something like that before), but was absolutely safe. I think this is why Makishima is going all "the people rely on the Sibyl System too much and don't think for themselves, so I'm going to try to raise some public disturbance."

*Don't read the info below if you are squirmish about horror stories*
Well, I might find this more believable because I watched a video of goers at Disneyland watching a show in a revolving room. They hear a horrifying scream, that eventually goes away. They later find out that the horrifying scream belonged to one of the workers who got caught in the revolving walls and died. What many of them thought was that the scream was strange, but just a part of the show, even though the show was all about happy and joy and had nothing to do with death screaming.

This is where I find the connection to the case of all the citizens out on the street viewing a murder right in front of the eyes. They just can't process what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
While these past two episodes were a definite improvement over the one I took issue with, I just can't place this series on "great" tier right now.

I mean, I'm still not sure what it is about this episode that has people jumping up and down. It was a good episode, yeah. But I didn't think it was that good.

iLeen

Awards
While these past two episodes were a definite improvement over the one I took issue with, I just can't place this series on "great" tier right now.

I mean, I'm still not sure what it is about this episode that has people jumping up and down. It was a good episode, yeah. But I didn't think it was that good.
I think it's just the killing suspense that gets to people. I mean, pretty much in most of the episodes, the full episode is not ALL great, but just the bits and pieces of some thriller scenes that get to ya.

Like this episode. The ending with all the crazy suspense of what the Sibyl System really is is just killing me on the inside. I also liked the fighting scene between Kogami and Makishima because some of the fight moves were different from what I'm use to seeing. And...NUOOOOOOO! Not Kagari! I barely got to know you! Crazy lady with her crazy powers shooting him just because he witnessed what the true SS is. I was really hoping to see his backstory and a bit more focus on him in the future but I guess that's not going to happen now. This episode was the most air time he got, probably because he most likely died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back