• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation of Tidus

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LionHeart14

Starting this thread is probably a bad idea, because no one can ever agree on how to say this stupid name, but I just want to know, do you say it Tee-dus or Ty-dus?
Perosnally, I say Ty-dus. I think it sounds way cooler, and plus, Titus is a real name, which is very very close to Tidus. And that's pronounced Ty-dus.
But how do you people pronounce it and why?

Awards
James Arnold Taylor said:
Okay first things first, “Tidus” is pronounced Tee-dus, not Tie-dus. This is one of the very first things they (the producers of the game) told me when we went in to record. Of course you could say it’s irrelevant considering I never actually say my characters name in either FFX or FFX-2, but it’s always one of those questions that pops up. The story goes that they had a promo trailer made for the game and the announcer said Tee-dus instead of Tie-Dus, and they figured that’s the way they should keep it.

LionHeart14

Alright, I guess you got me there. But, I'm gonna keep saying Ty-dus, because I think it sounds cooler, and I'm also from a part of the US where some things are pronounced oddly, so I really don't care if I say it wrong :lol:

Donna da Ragione

To be clear, the name is Japanese in origin, not Latin, and Selphie's pronunciation is an admitted error (plus she's a dumbfuck).

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I've heard it officially said both ways.

yeah. wakka in kingdom hearts one pronounced his name "tee-dus" however selphie in kingdom hearts ii pronounced his name "ty-dus".

but i guess selphie's pronounciation was an error i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back