• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Practically Pirate-Proof: Studio Ghibli DS game to be on 4GB Cartridge

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Destructoid - Biggest DS cart yet: 4GB, for Ghibli/Level 5 RPG

Previously it was a big deal when Archaic Sealed Heat was the first DS game to commission Nintendo for larger DS cartridges to hold all of it's FMV cutscenes, and even then the title came to 256mb. And now, Studio Ghibli (the studio owned by Hayao Miyazaki, the studio behind Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.) has gotten exclusive rights to use a 4GB DS cartridge for their RPG title "Another World", which is more than double the size of a PSP UMD

I don't think many people are going to be having the capability to pirate this particular DS title.

S

Shadow Soldier

Good thing they make Micro SD Cards cheap..... but... my first thought;

"Hoollly fuck"

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
4GB MicroSDs are the typical type to get with Flashcarts, though HDSC ones technically support up to 8GB. So, with firmware and such, there isn't even room on a 4GB MicroSD for this game...you'd have to have an 8GB in order to pirate this game o-o

S

Shadow Soldier

Meh, my R4SDHC came with a 1 gig, but the stores here, they sell 16gigs for no more than 20 bucks....

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
8GBs are about $15, and 8GB is the highest where the read speeds are reliable at all, if you go larger then that you'll have games fuck up and slowdown because the read speeds are too slow.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
That's pretty impressive, though I'm more excited about the game more than the media. A Studio Ghibli and Level 5 RPG with a full orchestral score by Joe Hisashi? Oh hell yes, this should be great.

Though, the end of the trailer says "for NintendoDS & Another Platform" which has me curious.

S

Shadow Soldier

Well, ya, but still, just saying, they're dirt cheap. I have to invest in a new one.

Also, I can see a lot of people downloading this for curiosity and expecting greatness.

But I can also see a lot of people not downloading the ROM because it's too big in size, and their dl limit/month.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Though, the end of the trailer says "for NintendoDS & Another Platform" which has me curious.

The other platform is ROID Phones, the same ones presently running KH: Coded.

Also, I can see a lot of people downloading this for curiosity and expecting greatness.

But I can also see a lot of people not downloading the ROM because it's too big in size, and their dl limit/month.

Well, obviously, because the fact of the matter is that 95% of the Flashcart userbase opt for 4GB MicroSDs, and thus simply can't run the game.

Hero_of_Fate

The Flaming C
Website
mariomedia.net
I can do it. My card allows SDHC MicroSDs. (At least up to 8 GB, as far as I know. Which I have.)*Awesome Face*
Really, though. I'll probably just buy the game.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Like I said, most technically have the capability to, because any Flashcart that isn't a piece of shit can do SDHC, but up until this point it was almost pointless to have MicroSD larger than 4GBs.

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
Wow, that is pretty big. I plan on buying, just due to the fact it has the studios name on it. Yeah I like the fanbase that much.

S

Shadow Soldier

Wow, that is pretty big. I plan on buying, just due to the fact it has the studios name on it. Yeah I like the fanbase that much.

You're buying it because you can't download it. You told me days would've taken you like 3 weeks... I can't imagine what a 4gb game would do to your sorry ass internet.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Another thing to note is that the in-game graphics of this game far surpass anything else done on the platform, including the likes of KH: Days, Archaic Sealed Heat, and GTA: Chinatown Wars. Which leads me to believe that maybe a whole lot of why the DS's true potential is hardly ever seen is almost entirely cartridge space related. Due to the fact that cartridge space is of absolutely no issue here, the in-game graphics of this game are absolutely phenomenal for the platform, and are incredibly smooth and well-rendered

Video: Ninokuni: The Another World - TGS 09 Gameplay
Japanese Exploration Gameplay | GameTrailers.com
TGS 09: Japanese Trailer | GameTrailers.com
(Gameplay footage starts at 2:10)

The DS seems to have the technical capability under it's hood to make games far exceeding what we see with it's games nowadays, but the issue has lied in that what the system can actually render and what's feasible for an entire game to be rendered in when they only have 256mb are entirely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back