• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Power Development RP - Interest Check - In Development

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
I’ve had it in my mind since the beginning of this thing’s development that the characters would be regular human beings from a RL setting dragged into a completely different one where they would slowly develop powers unique to them. I plan for them to go from something like Lord of Chaos’ Normal or Alpha State to his Sigma State (or Orion’s Level Zero to Level Nine).

The motifs of this story are: Dreams and Madness. In other words, dream- and madness-related content (themes, creatures, etc.) will be present throughout.

This RP would be a mature one (see “Monsters” below).

On Power Development:
I know that there are savvy RPers in these forums, and I know that I’m not nearly as savvy as they; I’ll hear out any reasoning for why an applicant’s character’s abilities evolve the way that they do. I’ll be sure to ask for their reasoning if and only if I cannot reason it out myself (such as how they reasoned out that their character who can create a weak shield [at Level Three] can all of a sudden manipulate fire [at Level Four]).

I’ll be sure to keep it to PMs... unless you guys think I should ask it in the Sign-Up thread instead? I mean, it would open the discussion up to more minds, but it’d be blatantly calling somebody out...

General Premise:
Basically, the characters are swept into a cosmological game devised by a mad Omega State being (OSB). This OSB has existed for as long as the game has, and the game has gone on for as long as sentient beings have dreamed, though it is unknown whether or not the game causes the dreaming or if the dreaming causes the game or even if they are completely unrelated. The game is traditionally divided into rounds. But something is different this particular round... Things seem to be... off schedule, shall we say.

Why a Game? Why These Characters?
This OSB has, as I've said above, lived for as long as sentient beings have dreamed (perhaps longer), but it hasn't existed alone (see "On the Plot and Things" and "Important Characters"). For as long as this OSB is in control of Reality, the other OSB is trapped within the Dreamscape (see "World"), and vise versa.

This game the characters find themselves in is not a game for their lives or a game for the OSB to fight boredom, but a game to keep the first OSB alive.

It is a Game, After All:
There would be rules for the writers, and there would be rules for the characters.

On the Plot and Things:
This is reality, or at least, it is for the characters. Their homeland is exactly like your own; all the rules you find yourself in as you type on your keyboard and breathe in your air and tumble through space are the exact same ones the characters’ homeland has. It isn’t hard to imagine why they were so in love with those rules; at least, it isn’t if you realize just how lucky you are to actually, truly be alive, which is more than these characters can say. They don't exist with the same rules you do anymore.

Their homeland is far away; it is on top of them, and they are on top of it. These characters have yet to know how it happened, but they are now within another place, another planet, another dimension. And yet another thing that they do not know: they all awoke within this new place at the same exact time. They all heard the same voice welcome them to Reality, and they all heard another voice tell them "Don't die in the dream."​

That’s basically what I’m thinking will be in the Sign-Up thread’s OP.

The characters find themselves in a city they do not remember falling asleep in, and they find some weapons on their person that they do not remember ever having (which would be on the applicant's temp). They all hear a voice, referred to in here as “the First OSB,” welcome them to Reality and tell them, “Here, you will find madness rampant, and a perilous journey! Be sure to remember the Rules! Breaking the Rules is bad.” Another voice, “the Second OSB,” interrupts First and informs them not to die in “the dream.”

Eventually, they discover that they’re growing abilities that they shouldn’t be able to learn/perform, and they learn how to beat the game: Get to Ender’s Bay.

Some characters shall welcome this complete change to their lives, while others will spite it. Some may wet themselves, and others might desperately cling to their faith. I just hope that they won't commit suicide.

Blah, blah, blah, things happen, blah, blah.

World:
It's a huge world in the long run.

Reality
This is the place the events of the RP take place in. The characters are participating in a game called “Reality” in Reality. It’s an effect of being in Reality that the characters are able to perform the abilities/powers that they can use in the story.

Hollow
The city in which the RP begins, the characters find themselves within different parts of this city (think of London, but bigger). Each of the many skyscrapers are "completely empty," and thousands upon thousands of statues can be found throughout Hollow.

Dreamscape, the
The Dreamscape is an infinite ocean of colors and sounds. All who enter its waters find themselves trapped beneath the surface, as no one ever surfaces from its depths. It completely surrounds the whole of Reality.

The Dreamscape is more than just an ocean of light and sounds; it is a prison of Gods. If one were to so much as touch the Dreamscape, then one's current abilities and power would be subdued, much like how the character's homeland keeps their hidden potential forever hidden.

Ender’s Bay
A bay that can be seen from Hollow, Ender’s Bay is the sandy shore where the characters must go to win the round. Of course, one cannot get to Ender’s Bay directly from Hollow; one must go around a “course” of sorts.

Important Characters:
I do not want to give a lot away so soon, especially since this isn’t even the Sign-Up thread.

The First OSB - This is the sunnovabitch that steals the characters from their homeland(s) and forces them into the game known as "Reality." He devised the rules they must follow, and he hands out the punishments for breaking said rules (calls forth monsters to destroy either them or their fellow teammates).

The Second OSB - This is the OSB that says "Don't die in the dream," at the beginning of Reality. They have been trapped under thee Dreamscape for as long as sentient beings have dreamed, and now, it has conserved enough power to manipulate events within Reality.

Monsters:
Most of the monsters are Lovecraft-esque insofar as they are disturbing to gaze upon and think about but won’t cause madness at the mere sight of them or hearing/reading their name. When I think of what these creatures will do to one of the characters if they have the opportunity (and ability), I picture said character being ripped apart or something more graphic. Of course, this can always be toned down, as this is merely my imagination using the “they’re based on nightmares that chase you” thought process.

So yeah, this is going to be labeled (at least, for now) as a mature RP.

Please note that there are the general "mooks" and there are intelligent creatures based on lucid dreaming.

Playable Characters
The bulk of this OP has been on these regular human beings from another universe/dimension. Well, that doesn't mean that those are the only playable characters. I recently had the idea for this RP, you see, so I've been a little weary on posting this part.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I really was just trying to see if I was wasting my time or not; I'll be developing this for the next couple of days.

Last edited:

Peace

Awards
Re: Power Development RP - Interest Check - Edited and Updated

This seems interesting. I'm a little curious on how the characters are going to level up in this RP. Do you award experience points depending on certain factors or do the games themselves level up the players or is it something completely different?

Epif

The Delicious
Website

Thank you for showing interest! =D

Let me be straightforward on the EXP idea: I'm completely against it. Awarding EXP is, to me, more akin to a video game than it is an RP.

Let me stop myself before I start rambling e__e.

But I'm thinking that the abilities would evolve as the characters went from one (considerably large) area to the next. Just how the abilities will evolve is still in its early stages... I should probably work on that... >_>

Lord of Chaos

Once more 'round the room we waltz.

Interest is shown. Seems a bit vague for some reason by maybe that's just me.

Epif

The Delicious
Website

Yay, interest! =D

And I was trying not to show my hand in the interest check thread, so I attempted to be pretty vague... ^-^

/first interest check thread I've ever created

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back