• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Overpopulation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
In theory, that sounds like the right idea, but trying to convince people to do the right thing is like a parent trying to reason with a toddler.

For the issue of the aging population and the draining of social security as a result, the latter is already happening. The world needs fewer people. It's not a matter of needing fewer people of specific age groups, because the ratio should remain close to what it is.

The cold hard truth is that modern science and medicinal practices have actually contributed in f.ucking over the human race by increasing life expectancy. It's a wonderful thing for the individual, and we're all appreciative of it, but it's having an effect on the stability of a population because it's significantly decreased the death rate. To seek an alternative solution is one thing, but to admit that the population growth is fine as it is, let alone necessary is just arrogant imo.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
And I think it's arrogant to assume you know what's best for everyone and that you have any sliver of a glimpse at an ideal solution given the complexity of the problem~

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
There's nothing arrogant about making a suggestion. I made this thread because I was interested in both sharing it and hearing those of others. Also, I do understand the complexity of the situation, which is why I brought up Japan in the OP. My point is that strictly enforcing a reduction of the birth rate is what will cause society to face that opposite extreme situation. But, it does need to reduced to some extent. Having any more 3 than kids is unreasonable. We need to do it gradually, in such a way that won't cause too many financial burdens but will make a difference in the long-term. Unless I'm mistakenly being grouped with the others who were saying "Have women get their tubes tied!" I can't understand what I've said that was so irrational.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Nostalgia said:
Oddly enough, China wasn't studied, but I think that its current 'growth' rate isn't as substantial as India because of the governmental actions they've taken as a means of population control.
This is especially interesting, because China is currently facing many of the problems brought up on this thread related to birth control.

It has an increasing percentage of people over 65, who are especially dependent on their offspring because China lacks adequate pension coverage. This is referred to as the 4:2:1 phenomenon, where a couple is financially responsible for one child and four parents (and the child, potentially, for two parents and four grandparents).

It also has a marked sex ratio imbalance, which is influenced in large part by a traditional preference for boys (similar to India), but also probably has some connection to the fact that couples are only allowed one or two children in most cases. The government has been working to mitigate both of these effects.

However, the One-Child Policy has definitely corresponded with a decrease in the fertility rate in China, from 2.9 in 1979 to 1.7 in 2004, and Chinese officials have claimed that the policy has prevented 250 to 300 million births (these figures are old). And it has done this through virtually universal access to contraceptives and abortion--the former much moreso than the latter, but both are very contested items in America right now. A significant percentage of contraceptive methods has been sterilization, and much more often of women than of men, but that doesn't seem to be the primary method anymore.

Here is the article from which I got most of the information above, and includes the author's conclusion that China should relax its One-Child Policy. I don't have any proposed solutions for the larger problem of the thread (This guy does though), but I thought it interesting to look at what seems to me a case study of overpopulation and population control.

Last edited:

JustSnilloc

And I think it's arrogant to assume you know what's best for everyone and that you have any sliver of a glimpse at an ideal solution given the complexity of the problem~

Unfortunately not everyone starts into a problem with a PhD in it, there is some learning involved... Like I've said, obviously what I suggested isn't the best of solutions

There's nothing arrogant about making a suggestion. I made this thread because I was interested in both sharing it and hearing those of others. Also, I do understand the complexity of the situation, which is why I brought up Japan in the OP. My point is that strictly enforcing a reduction of the birth rate is what will cause society to face that opposite extreme situation. But, it does need to reduced to some extent. Having any more 3 than kids is unreasonable. We need to do it gradually, in such a way that won't cause too many financial burdens but will make a difference in the long-term.

Perhaps, but it's hard to enforce something with any leniency within the enforcement of it... As previously stated, I think it would definitely help the population issue, but it could also cause other issues depending on how it happened

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Going based on unemployment rates, pretty much half the eastern hemisphere. Wouldn't be a loss.

Alaude Drenxta

Also, the fact that more than half of the Eastern Hemisphere has higher unemployment rates than America, but who cares about facts when we have uninformed bias?

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Yep. The Eastern Hemisphere is milestones more densely populated than the western hemisphere, if you exclude Latin America.

But whats funny, it gets harder to track the population in the united states when maybe 8% of the population doesn't have a social-security number...

Alaude Drenxta

you've also got Wall St.

you mad, bro?

That, however, is quite an issue. If we're going for Holocaust, that's a great place to start. Though this focus of wealth and manipulation of income revenues is equally prevalent in Japan and most of Western Europe. Political and monetary corruption is prevalent nearly anywhere you look. Wall Street, however, is victimized most heavily as the main proponent because it compromises globalization from every corner of the world, concentrating even foreign wealth into domestic hands. So while our government might be ridiculously broke, the money's all here.

Are you mad, bro?

Yep. The Eastern Hemisphere is milestones more densely populated than the western hemisphere, if you exclude Latin America.

But whats funny, it gets harder to track the population in the united states when maybe 8% of the population doesn't have a social-security number...

That's a big reason why I think it's funny when people get all riled up every time someone suggests increasing border security and immigration control protocols. Much of the unemployment in this country comes even from non-citizens, who can still claim unemployment so long as they've worked. Gathering benefits without pay taxes? That sounds a lot like a cash sinkhole to me.

Last edited:

Alaude Drenxta

I still just think that people should use condoms a bit more...

The odd part is that a lot of the children born are being conceived by choice, not accident. It would be difficult to know the exact number, but I'm sure it's quite high.

Alaude Drenxta

Really? If I had to guess, I'd say more kids are accidents than planned. I'm not certain, though.

Being that it would take a massive undertaking to figure that out for sure, we can only assume. I think assuming that the vast majority of people are stupid and reckless is depressing and pessimistic, so I like to look on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back