• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Overpopulation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Being that it would take a massive undertaking to figure that out for sure, we can only assume. I think assuming that the vast majority of people are stupid and reckless is depressing and pessimistic, so I like to look on the other side.
Who said they have to be stupid and reckless? It's pessimistic to think people can't make a mistake here or there. Like, they don't particularly want children, but they also don't particularly want to avoid it, so an unplanned child may happen. Or there are broken condoms, or misinformation, and the very unfortunate but possible scenario of rape.

I'm abstaining anyway, but I do think most kids are accidents. Call it stupidity and recklessness, I just find it more likely. Then again, I know that I know nothing. :3

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Well Megawallflower I at least know one person that it wasn't an accident she pretty much told(by sugar coating it) that she wanted one.

Then again when you tell people you rather not use condoms I don't consider that accident no longer. Then again half the pregnancies I see about from people I use to know I don't consider them accidents because when we were growing up you could tell who was going to get knocked up and when most of the time.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Who said they have to be stupid and reckless? It's pessimistic to think people can't make a mistake here or there. Like, they don't particularly want children, but they also don't particularly want to avoid it, so an unplanned child may happen. Or there are broken condoms, or misinformation, and the very unfortunate but possible scenario of rape.

I'm abstaining anyway, but I do think most kids are accidents. Call it stupidity and recklessness, I just find it more likely. Then again, I know that I know nothing. :3

Perhaps not stupid, it may have been a bit of an overstatement, but certainly reckless. If you take care and make mature decisions, it's actually quite easy to have an active sex life without pregnancy being the result. Rape, and even further pregnancy from rape, is far too rare to bump this into the category of "a lot of the time", but if someone, even a single one of the partners, wants a child and does something to make this happen, it isn't an accident, it's entrapment, that's entirely intentional.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I'm thinking most children are the result of an attitude where the parents say "we're ready: if it happens, it happens."
So not really planned, not an actual accident either. My two cents.

It's less depressing in any case to just assume that most people (in the first world that is) are too stupid to prevent things that can be so lifechanging. Of course there are idiots like that, but really now. I've got too much (easily-fractured) faith in humanity as a whole to think like that.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I'm thinking most children are the result of an attitude where the parents say "we're ready: if it happens, it happens."
So not really planned, not an actual accident either. My two cents.

It's less depressing in any case to just assume that most people (in the first world that is) are too stupid to prevent things that can be so lifechanging. Of course there are idiots like that, but really now. I've got too much (easily-fractured) faith in humanity as a whole to think like that.

Actually, if we're talking specifically about the first world, the US is the only country with a serious problem of overpopulation. Most of the main countries in Europe are dwindling and Japan's population is declining as well. The only reason why we're not experiencing that same phenomenon is because we promote the f.uck out of immigration for the sake of stimulating the economy.

So technically, you're right to assume that most people in the first world are not that reckless because they've been well-educated. On the other hand, they are not so well-educated in the developing world, so that's really the source of global overpopulation.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Actually, if we're talking specifically about the first world, the US is the only country with a serious problem of overpopulation. Most of the main countries in Europe are dwindling and Japan's population is declining as well. The only reason why we're not experiencing that same phenomenon is because we promote the f.uck out of immigration for the sake of stimulating the economy.

So technically, you're right to assume that most people in the first world are not that reckless because they've been well-educated. On the other hand, they are not so well-educated in the developing world, so that's really the source of global overpopulation.

I should've constructed my post better, I was purely talking about the first world. My bad.
I agree that most of the children in the developing world are the result of faulty education and that that is were the problem lies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
What do you base this on? Not to mention, are you considering the difference between a 'surprise' and an 'accident' when it comes to pregnancy/childbirth?

Awards
What do you base this on? Not to mention, are you considering the difference between a 'surprise' and an 'accident' when it comes to pregnancy/childbirth?
Personal observations, mostly. I realize that's not any good, though, so I'm sorry. I see my mistake now.
Huh, I guess in my mind any child not planned constitutes an accident, since one of the meanings of the word is any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause. I see my mistake now, nevermind, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back