• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Of Worlds and Wings

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayame

One

“What happened?”

As a light breeze rustled through the trees, a girl awakes from her slumber. From beneath the oak tree which she slept, she sits up and takes in her surroundings.

“Where am I?!”

The midsummer day was bright and the light seemed to dance on the forest floor through the movement of the leaves in the breeze. Not far off, the sound of flowing water added to the serenity of the forest and the beauty of the day. This day would have been the kind of day everyone dreams of if not for two things: When the day had begun, it was raining.
When the day had begun, she had been in the city.

When Aelita’s phone rang this morning, the rain was nothing more than a light drizzle. At first she thought she was dreaming, but the monotonous tone ended her dreaming and brought her to reality. the dreariness of the day was visible through her bedroom window as she reluctantly left the warmth of her bed to answer the phone.

“Are you awake?”

“ I am now,” she replied annoyed. The identity of the caller did not surprise her. It had been six months since the car accident that took her mother’s life. Although Aelita had been sitting in the passengers seat, she made it out with only minor scrapes, but her mother was gone, and she was still here. And living with a stranger. A stranger called Dad.

“ My flight leaves in an hour. I’ll be gone for at least two weeks. Try not to destroy my house.” he said in a tone better suited to discipline a dog. Then he hung up.

Prior to the funeral, the two had never met. Aelita’s parents divorced when her mom was seven months pregnant, sixteen years ago. After the divorce was finalized, he disappeared. He made no effort to be a parent. Sixteen years later, his effort hasn’t changed. Now, thanks to the wonderful efforts of the Department of Family Services, she was in custody.

Two hours later, Aelita was walking through a street market located only a few blocks from her home, Even though the weather had engulfed the city in gloom, this outdoor market was full of life. From where she stood, she watched as merchants cheerfully advertised their wares for passing customers, children clapping at the entertaining routines of the street performers, and the occasional hotdog vendor.

As a performer gave his finale, a clap of thunder sounded, as though to approve him. Seconds later, the rain came down in torrents, and Aelita left for cover. Umbrella in hand, she walked to the corner and waited for the crossing light to change, but before it did, she realized she wasn’t alone.

“Excuse me Miss,” said a gravely voice from behind.

When she turned around, the person she encountered was surprising. The man looked to be about seventy years old. his hair was bright silver; as was his mustache. he was about as tall as Aelita, but he stood hunched over as though he had plowed fields all his life. His face darkened by the sun and by many years. He seemed more like a character from a western movie than an actual person.

What surprised her the most was his choice of clothing's. He was dressed in a bright yellow fisherman’s jacket and a matching hat. His choice of footwear was a pair of knee-high red rubber boots. Under the jacket was a Hawaiian-patterned shirt and a pair of khaki shorts. it was so absurd, Aelita couldn’t help but stare.

“ This belongs to you,” he said while placing a folded piece of cloth in her hands. It was soft like silk, but had the look of antique textile. It felt strange to her, but also familiar. As she examined it further, she realized there was something else within it; something heavy. gently, she folded back the cloth, revealing a strange necklace.

The pendant was a crimson stone. It was encased in vines of ivy made of gold. The chain it hung on was made of silver.

“ This isn’t mine...” she started to say as she looked up at the man, but he had disappeared. Suddenly the rain began to pour harder; Aelita’s umbrella never stood a chance. Thoroughly soaked within minutes, she momentarily forgot what had just happened. The light changed and she ran across the street, entering the first door she found.

Aelita stood up and listened. Once she was sure of herself, she headed in the direction of the water. She was surrounded by unfamiliar plants and sounds which dazed her. While she ventured toward the sound of water in her delirium, a bush in front of her rustled and sobered her instantly. She suddenly thought about all the wild animals in a forest and was overwhelmed by fear, paralyzed by it. As she stood staring at the bush, a doe came out of it followed by two fawn. They did not regard her at all, but instead went around her and continued on their way.

“ Where they real?” she thought. Aelita had never seen a real deer before. Now she couldn’t help thinking about what other animals she could encountered. Taking a deep breath, she continued in the direction of the sound of water.

The light in the shop was dim and it took a moment for her eyes to adjust. she had passed it many times but never thought to venture within it. The storefront was undecorated and not well kept. Its only indication of purpose was the handwritten sign taped in the window. It plainly stated “ Antique”.

“ Hello?” Aelita asked once her eyes had adjusted. she was standing in the center of what looked like a medieval throne room. the walls were draped with crimson tapestries embroidered with golden thread. At the head of the room were thrones crafted from silver and engraved with roses. Aelita was filled with the same feeling of familiarity that had stricken her at the sight of the necklace.

Receiving no reply, she wandered further. From behind one of the tapestries came a dim glow. Slowly, Aelita approached it and cautiously pulled it back. What she discovered was a door adorned with the same roses engraved in the thrones. and something else. Upon the door was what looked like a strange writing of sorts.

Aelita glanced around the room once more and asked, “ Is anyone here?”

Once again, no answer. Curiosity overwhelmed her and she opened the door. At the exact same time, the crimson stone began to resonate with a brightness that made the linen it was held in seem soaked with blood. but that wasn’t the only thing that was glowing.

From within the darkness held behind the door came the faint glow once again. As Aelita opened the door further, the glow became stronger. when the door was fully open, the light faded but then suddenly flared back much stronger than before, blinding her. Once again the light died completely disappeared. It was then that she realized what the glowing object was. At the far end of the room was a mirror.

The mirror was a strange thing. It’s frame was what seemed to black marble and it was very large. The same strange language that was engraved on the door was also engraved on the stone frame as well. Even stranger was the fact that it did not reflect. It surface was blank and colorless. It looked as though it didn’t exist at all but at the same time seemed more real than anything she had ever seen.

Its surface was hypnotizing, drawing Aelita closer to it. When she was within three feet of the mirror, It began to glow faintly and, for a moment, she thought she saw something within it. It was then when the necklace started to pulsate with its crimson light once again. he mirror began to glow as well but much brighter this time. Its light filled the room until nothing within it could be discerned. And then....

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin

*stares and jaw drops*

OH MY GOD! IT'S AN ACTUAL LITERATE POST! I haven't seen one in soooo long!

This story is incredibly well-written. I mean, I was happy with my fic, but now I compare it to used gum in the prescence of yours.

And you know something REALLY weird?

I thought up a necklace exactly like the one you described for one of my stories. WEIRD!

I don't care that it's not KH. I have a story up on here that's not KH-centered ... but I haven't updated in a while. XD

Continue!

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
Amme: GoH's not here right now, I'm filling in for her. I'm her alter-ego, by the way, if you ever need to know. ^_^ I sent her to our room to finish translating our story from computer language back to English. *glares at WordPad and unformatted floppy disc* Anyway, update soon, please! PLEASE!!

And happy All Hallow's Eve!

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
MAH EYES! THEY'RE BLEEDING! I AM NOT WORTHY!

*Babbles, flatters, and spazzes some more*

Anyway. Update.

DaRkNeSs2LiGhT

wow.
speechless.
i only read
the first paragraph or so
and i am AMAZED.
i agree with GoH and the other ego...
mine is (quote)"used gum in comparison to yours"(unqoute)
this is AMAZING!
im workin on mine at the moment and i just
peeked in here cuz im stuk...
and WOW!
plz continue!
ima finish reading the first part
once ive finished my next chapter
cuz i havent update in more than
a few months.
hahaha.
keep up the good work!
you have real talent
<3333

Cloudisawesum1

o.o

................that........is so.........damn awesome...........my eyes feel like they're on fire.I can tell this story is gonna be better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back