• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Leaving Organized Religion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
So sorry if this is in the wrong forum - please move it if it needs to be.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately, and I think I may end up leaving organized religion. I'm tired of the oppression, the hate, the intolerance, the sexism, and the homophobia. I still believe in God, but I'm sick of seeing people use their religion as a justification for their bigotry and hatred.

I want to be spiritual, but not religious, if that makes sense.

O

Oberon

I'm tired of the oppression, the hate, the intolerance, the sexism, and the homophobia. I still believe in God, but I'm sick of seeing people use their religion as a justification for their bigotry and hatred.

welcome to being intelligent!

organized religion is a sheep mechanism in my opinion. it makes you a better person at the expense of being a "free" thinker. also, organized religion tries to make everyone think the same, which isn't really possible anyway unless you're hitler or some shit. idk

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
You mean sacrifice not mercy? o.o

Wait what do you mean by this lol

No, I mean mercy, not sacrifice. Jesus worst enemy was religion. He's not asking you to be a christian, he's asking us to pick up your cross and follow him. The number one commandment is to love God with all your heart. He already loves you, and loved you so much that he gave his sinless son up for our sins.

Really and truly, he opened the way not only to heaven but to having a relationship with God. That love is what fills Jesus followers hearts.

As for the OP, I understand where you're coming from. In fact, I just listened to a message that will give you the answers you need. If you're interested, pm me.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
From the people, or the religion?

The people. The religion itself isn't bad, I don't believe, but it's the people who use the religion as a justification for their bigotry and hatred that bothers me. They just really don't follow Jesus anymore; Jesus taught the message of love and acceptance, not hatred. I know this is overused, but I'm going to quote Gandhi to sum up how I feel:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

But in the case of "Christians" in the above quote, I don't mean all Christians. I mean the ones who force their beliefs onto other people and then use those same beliefs as justification for intolerance. I know that not all Christians do that and I don't want to lump all Christians together in that manner.

Even though my particular Protestant denomination has progressed in terms of its free thinking (just 3 or 4 decades ago, it used to be where you obeyed the pastor and didn't question anything at all, while nowadays there are some pastors out there who are encouraging people to think but also to cultivate a relationship with God), I still see it as being very sheep-minded and exclusivist. It's mainly with the older generation, but I still know people of the new generation who don't question anything but just follow the herd, especially the ultra Conservative ones. I'm a free-thinker, independent, and I do question things, so to see that sheep-mindedness also concerns me. And to some of the ultra-Conservative denominations, people like myself simply would not be tolerated because of that.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
You could be Chirtian or whatever religon but not go to church or associate yourself with the faith

i.e:

"Are you Christian?"

"I follow God and the Bible, but I don't like to call myself that"

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
No, I mean mercy, not sacrifice. Jesus worst enemy was religion. He's not asking you to be a christian, he's asking us to pick up your cross and follow him. The number one commandment is to love God with all your heart. He already loves you, and loved you so much that he gave his sinless son up for our sins.

Really and truly, he opened the way not only to heaven but to having a relationship with God. That love is what fills Jesus followers hearts.

As for the OP, I understand where you're coming from. In fact, I just listened to a message that will give you the answers you need. If you're interested, pm me.

Ah yeah I see what you're saying now.

To take a guess, it's the people. That's why I don't actively practice Christianity anymore.

Doesn't sound like a very good reason to stop practicing a religion.

That's like saying I hate playing such and such sport because no one knows how to play it right.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
Doesn't sound like a very good reason to stop practicing a religion.

That's like saying I hate playing such and such sport because no one knows how to play it right.

There's a difference in not being able to play a sport right and wanting to leave a religion because of the hatred and intolerance, which is why I'm leaving organized religion.

I'm not leaving spirituality. You can still practice your faith and not be involved in organized religion.

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
There's a difference in not being able to play a sport right and wanting to leave a religion because of the hatred and intolerance, which is why I'm leaving organized religion.

Not really, in a sense they aren't 'playing the sport right' by bringing hatred and intolerance into the picture.

MomentoMori said:
I'm not leaving spirituality. You can still practice your faith and not be involved in organized religion.

Yeah I understand that I was just responding to The Professor's comment and why it isn't a legitimate reason to leave a religion.

Gram

Banned
Awards
i dont blame you org. religion is just a big group of people with closed minds.
i prefer to stand on my own than with such ignorance.
welcome to being intelligent!

organized religion is a sheep mechanism in my opinion. it makes you a better person at the expense of being a "free" thinker. also, organized religion tries to make everyone think the same, which isn't really possible anyway unless you're hitler or some shit. idk
THIS! you should get a freakin award.
ive never been in org. religon to me there all hypacritical and never practice what they preach.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
Not really, in a sense they aren't 'playing the sport right' by bringing hatred and intolerance into the picture.

Yeah I understand that I was just responding to The Professor's comment and why it isn't a legitimate reason to leave a religion.

Feeling trapped because of all the hatred and hypocrisy isn't a legitimate reason to leave a religion?

ive never been in org. religon to me there all hypacritical and never practice what they preach.

I'm certainly not going to say that every Christian involved in organized religion is hypocritical; there are a few out there who use the religion to focus on Christ and spread his message of love and acceptance.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I'm certainly not going to say that every Christian involved in organized religion is hypocritical; there are a few out there who use the religion to focus on Christ and spread his message of love and acceptance.
i know that but ive yet to see one also.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
i know that but ive yet to see one also.

I know a few of the Christians who are like that; they're mainly in my age group, which I have mixed feelings about. I'm glad to see that this newer generation seems to be a little more open-minded and accepting, but I'm also sad to see that the older generation in general isn't.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
Anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately, and I think I may end up leaving organized religion. I'm tired of the oppression, the hate, the intolerance, the sexism, and the homophobia.

There is a lot of it, but if everyone who is against the oppression, the hate, the intolerance, the sexism, and the homophobia, then there's only MORE hate, MORE, intolerance, MORE sexism, and MORE homophobia.

I still believe in God, but I'm sick of seeing people use their religion as a justification for their bigotry and hatred.

You need to find yourself a new temple/church/mosque. Or is the point you made directed towards the whole of it? Or the leaders? Not all temples/churches/mosques are the same! :eek: You probably know that, though... :/

It does make sense, and I hope you are happy when you look back at the end of your life :). I doubt the haters will.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I know a few of the Christians who are like that; they're mainly in my age group, which I have mixed feelings about. I'm glad to see that this newer generation seems to be a little more open-minded and accepting, but I'm also sad to see that the older generation in general isn't.

well im 19 and have yet to find such people, but i guess its good to hear atleast some practice what they preech.
the only thing about it is they let their religion close the mind (usally)
as for the newer gen. where i live there no different.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
well im 19 and have yet to find such people, but i guess its good to hear atleast some practice what they preech.
the only thing about it is they let their religion close the mind (usally)
as for the newer gen. where i live there no different.

I'm 19 too, but I guess it depends on where you live. I live in the Southeastern USA, which tends to be very conservative. "Liberal" Christians are a particular rarity in my town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back