• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts D

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Yes, I've finally got another chapter up. This one's a biggie, but it's pretty action packed, so I hope you enjoy it. Sorry for the slight delay.

Chapter 7: Just a Toy

“You were... jealous?” Buzz asked, finally looking up and showing emotion.

“Why else would I push you out a window?” Woody cried. “You're a space ranger toy! You have lasers and wings and cool catchphrases. All I have is... a worn out pull-string and an old hat.”

Buzz sat in silence for a minute before he mumbled, “It's just... I was a space ranger before. And now I'm just a toy. A fake.”

“What happened to you?” Woody asked, wondering what could make Buzz so depressed all of the sudden, “You used to be happier than all the rest of Andy's toys combined!”

“Well... I escaped from Sid's room after you pushed me out the window. Then I got chased by Sid's dog, and he led me into a room down the hall. And I saw... a commercial for Buzz Lightyears. Rows and rows of them in every store, all exactly like me. I'm just a fake, a replica.”

“No you're not,” Aros said, turning away from the attacking, rabid toys to face Buzz, “Just because you look the same, and act mostly the same doesn't mean you are the same. You have your own heart, one that isn't like anybody else's.”

“Thanks, Aros,” Buzz said weakly.

“...But, uh...how did you lose your arm?” Woody asked, pointing at Buzz's shoulder.

“I... I tried to fly...”

“You tried to fly?!” Woody cried, “But you said you knew you were a toy!”

“I wanted to prove that I wasn't a toy. To prove that I was real. So I jumped off the stairs. That's where Sid's sister found me.”

Aros nodded and began to say something when Woody interrupted, crying, “Aros, look out!”

As Aros whirled around, Sid's fishing pole-on-legs lunged at Aros, whipping him with its thin wire. Aros stumbled back as three more toys barreled past him, leaping on Buzz. Aros regained his balance and dove at the toys. But before he could make contact with the pile, the fishing pole hooked his keyblade and yanked it from his grasp. Aros tripped forward, crashing into Mickey. Soon, all of Sid's toys had climbed on top of Buzz.

“Get off him you cannibals!” Woody screamed, clawing any toy he could reach.

Aros jumped to his feet and summoned his keyblade back with a flash. He was about to slash at the pile when Mickey held out a hand to stop him.

“Mickey!” Aros yelled, trying to shove the mouse aside.

“Look!” Mickey said, pointing at the pile with his keyblade.

The toys were slowly backing away from Buzz, who was lying on his back. Buzz sat up and examined his arm in wonder.

“What are they doing?” Aros asked, confused.

Buzz raised his other arm and rubbed his hands together. Woody dashed over to Buzz and patted him on the shoulder.

“They put his arm back on!” Aros yelled, running over to Buzz with Mickey.

“Yeah...” Buzz said in awe.

“Thanks, guys,” Mickey whispered sheepishly to Sid's toys, “Sorry about trying to hit you with our keyblades.”

The leader of the toys, the half robotic doll, nodded and led the rest of the mob towards the shelves. Aros smiled guiltily as they disappeared into the darkness.

“Well, Buzz, let's get out of here,” Woody said, grinning widely. As he stepped over to help Buzz to his feet, a loud thumping echoed off the hall outside the room. From the other side of the door, they heard Sid yell, “Stay out of my room Sally, and stop taking my toys!”

Woody looked at Aros and Mickey in a panic and dashed under the shelves next to the desk with the rest of Sid's toys.

Aros and Mickey followed, but Aros stopped, whispering urgently, “C'mon, Buzz, get up.”

“I'm coming,” Buzz answered, crawling to his feet.

Buzz made it half way to the shelf when the door slammed open. Buzz immediately dropped to the ground in a sitting position, staring blankly towards the wall. Sid crossed the room without noticing him and threw a red and blue rocket onto the desk. As he stepped backwards, Sid's foot made contact with Buzz's wing.

******​

Sid spun around and spotted Buzz. “How'd you get there? I thought I put you... Never mind.”

Sid picked up Buzz and set him roughly on the table. From the red toolbox, Sid pulled out a roll of duct tape, which he promptly used to strap the rocket to Buzz's back. He pulled out a match from the toolbox and slipped it between two layers of the duct tape.

“There, now you can make it to the moon, mister space ranger.” Sid cackled in laughter and walked towards the door, with Buzz in hand. It was time to show those stupid toys who was boss. He made it halfway across the room when a corridor of darkness sprang up from the floor.

Sid yelped in fright, and dropped Buzz to the ground. He scrambled back to the desk and pulled a wrench from the tool box, preparing to defend himself from whatever came out of the portal. Oznei stormed out of the dark pillar and waved his right hand, sending Sid's wrench flying through the air.

“So,” Oznei started angrily, “I assume you haven't done anything productive.”

“I-I-I” Sid stuttered in fear.

“Oh, shut up, I don't need to hear your babble. You see, I just met with my superior, and he has a very important task for me.”

“Your... superior?” This could be bad, Sid thought nervously. What was that creep gonna do to him?

“That's right,” Oznei congratulated sarcastically, “I'm working for a man named Tronahex. And Tronahex needs something from this world. In fact, he needs two things. And I think you can help me get them.”

“What? Me?” Sid whimpered, hoping that he wasn't needed for anything dangerous.

“Yes you!” Oznei spat, “But I'm going to have to make some adjustments to my plan, since you don't seem to be able to do anything useful without my supervision.”

“What-what is it you want?”

Oznei laughed, “I suppose I can tell you, since it won't matter anyway. I need a heart: the heart to this world.”

“This world has a... heart?” Oznei asked, stunned.

“Yes, every world has a heart, idiot. And the power within those hearts is beyond comprehension. But the heart of your world seems to be bent on escaping my superior.”

“Where is it?” Sid asked, growing slightly more confident.

“...I believe it is in your neighbor, Andrew.”

Sid frowned. “Andy? Why him?”

“Andrew is a very unique boy. His heart is naturally made of pure light, which I believe makes him the perfect host for such a powerful heart. With your help, I plan to extract that heart.”

“Extract it? But how?”

“I think you know already,” Oznei answered with a wicked grin.

Sid gulped, “You're going to... kill him...”

Oznei laughed, “No, you are.”

“No! I-I can't. I didn't know... that you were going to kill... I just was having fun!”

“You accepted darkness, and now it's time for you to face the consequences. You will kill him, one way or another. We must extract the heart before the keyblade masters seal it away.”

“NO!!!” Sid screamed, becoming hysterical. Oznei was insane. He was evil!

“Fine, then I guess you'll be doing it unwillingly!”

Oznei held out his hand again, and black flames erupted all around Sid. Sid cried out and thrashed about, but the darkness soon covered him from head to toe. Oznei watched him passively for several seconds and then lowered his hand. As the flames receded, Aros noticed that Sid's skin had a strange purple tint, and seemed slightly translucent.

Oznei walked around Sid, inspecting him, and then said, “There, now it's time to kill Andrew and the keyblade masters.”

******​

As the tall robed man whispered his plan to Sid, Woody reached forward and tapped Aros on the shoulder, signaling him to come farther under the shelf. Aros crawled over to Mickey, who was crouched next to several of Sid's toys. Mickey gestured for Aros to climb onto a large skateboard with Woody. Aros did so, but jumped in surprise when he noticed that there was a small plastic head attached to the front of the skateboard. The head turned and smiled at Aros, and then turned back away as Mickey climbed on.

Woody leaned forward and whispered to Aros, “We're going to grab Buzz and get out of here.”

Aros nodded and Woody held up a hand to count down. As the skateboard's head saw Woody lower his last finger it zipped out from under the shelf and over to Buzz. As the robed man spotted the skateboard, he yelled out in surprise and barked out for Sid to follow them. Aros reached out with Woody and heaved Buzz onto the board as it whizzed by the toy. The board shot out the door to Sid's room, and made a sharp turn to the left to fly down the stairs. As it was falling, Aros tightly gripped the front of the skateboard to stop himself from falling off. He could feel Woody holding on to his right shoe as they hit a step and launched into the air.

The skateboard finally reached the bottom of the steps, crashed into a wall, and rode off down the hallway, with Aros, Mickey, Buzz, and Woody barely holding on. Behind them, Sid took a flying leap down the steps and thundered through the hallway after them. As the skatedboard reached the end of the hall, it flew through the doggy door in the front door onto the porch. Behind it, Aros could hear Sid crash into the doorway.

The skateboard shot off the small porch and to the sidewalk, which it followed quickly out to the road. As the board was halfway to Andy's house, Aros heard the front door of Sid's house slam open, and he heard Sid dashing after them.

“Hey, Aros, look!” Mickey cried.

Aros spun around to look ahead, and saw a large teal car driving away from in front of Andy's house. Standing where it had just left was a young boy with short brown hair wearing a cowboy hat.

“That's Andy!” Woody yelled, “That's him!”

“Well then, it looks like you and I have got some work to do, Aros,” Mickey said quickly. “I'll hold off Sid, you seal the heart of this world in Andy.”

“How?” Aros asked urgently.

“Just do what feels right. The keyblade will show you the way.”

Mickey quickly pulled a small vial of pink fluid from his jacket and downed half of the liquid inside. He handed the bottle to Aros and flipped off the back of the skateboard, landing lightly in the middle of the sidewalk with his keyblade in hand. As he took a step forward, he began to slowly grow back to his normal size.

Aros called out for the skateboard to stop as it neared Andy, who was staring in amazement at the living toys approaching him. Aros downed the contents of Mickey's vial in one gulp and jumped off the skateboard, flying through the air towards Andy. He quickly summoned his keyblade and held it out towards Andy. A strange sensation swept over him, and a glimmering beam of light shot out of the blade and made contact with Andy's chest. A glowing symbol shaped like a lock appeared for a moment, and then all the light disappeared. Aros landed on the ground at full size and sent away his keyblade.

Andy was standing completely frozen, half amazed and half frightened at what just happened.

“Andy, get inside, quick!” Aros ordered. “It's not safe out here. Your neighbor's gone crazy. But we'll take care of it.”

Andy stared wide-eyed at Aros for a moment and then sprinted into his house. Aros turned and ran back to Mickey, summoning his keyblade again. As he reached Mickey, the skateboard whizzed by him, with only Woody on it.

“Where's Buzz?” Aros asked.

At the house,” Woody replied inaudibly.

Unable to hear him, Aros yelled back, “Just get back to the house. Mickey and I can handle this!”

Woody shook his head and weaved past Mickey and straight at Sid. Sid grinned as he saw Woody approaching, and stomped on the front of the moving skateboard, sending Woody shooting into the air. Sid caught him in mid-flight, and held him tightly before Aros and Mickey.

Sid smiled, and black flames leaped from Sid's hand and surrounded Woody. Seconds later, a dark mist materialized and whirled around Sid, enveloping him in a cocoon of darkness. Soon, he was completely hidden behind the veil of shadows.

“What's going on?” Aros asked frantically, unsure whether to attack the darkness with his keyblade.

“I don't know!” Mickey replied anxiously.

Suddenly, the dark mist exploded outward, sending both Aros and Mickey reeling backwards. A massive, dark figure rose through the smoke. As the darkness cleared, Aros could see that the figure was about twenty feet tall, with six black arms and a dark purple torso. The top two of its arms had seven sharp, bony fingers, and the bottom four arms were nothing but sharp scythes. It also had two short, thick legs with several sharp claws for toes. Its head seemed strangely similar to Sid's, but it also seemed pale and deformed. On the figures chest, Aros spotted a space ranger badge and the word, 'Lightyear'.

As if to confirm Aros' thoughts, Mickey said, “I think Sid is absorbing Woody's darkness.”

“What do we do?”Aros asked helplessly.

Mickey prepared his keyblade and dashed at the creature, crying back to Aros, “Attack its chest or its head, and watch out for the arms!” The creature swung the first of its scythe-like arms at Mickey, who leaped over the blade and sliced the arm with his keyblade. The arm fell limply to the ground and exploded in a cloud of smoke. Mickey jumped at the creature's head, but was blocked by the creature's top right clawed arm.

“Mickey!” Aros cried, running at the beast.

“No, Aros,” Mickey yelled, “attack the arms! You can't get to the head if the arms are there to block you!”

Aros changed his course and jumped to the right as one of the bladed arms crashed into the ground. With all his strength, he swung his keyblade at the creature's wrist. But another of its arms smashed into Aros' torso, sending him flying to side. A third arm was about to slice Aros in half when Mickey leaped into the fray again, slicing the third arm off the beast. Mickey dove at the arm that was still embedded in the ground, but was blocked by the creature's top left arm, which pinned him to the ground with its seven long fingers.

“Aros, forget the arms!” Mickey ordered, struggling to break free of the creature's grasp. “There's too many of them. Use magic to hit the head!”

“Magic?! I don't know any magic! How am I supposed to-”

“Aros, just do what feels natural,” Mickey interrupted as one of the bladed arms swung at his prostrate body, “the keyblade will guide you!”

Aros nodded and ran again at the beast. With a malevolent smile from its gruesome head, the creature roared and jabbed at Aros with its other clawed hand. Expecting the attack, Aros leaped to the side and sliced off the ends of all seven of the hand's fingers with a single fluid stroke.

The creature screeched in pain as Aros sprang up onto the now fingerless arm and jumped up towards the beast's head. It blindly swiped forward in an attempt to knock away Aros's imminent attack. But from behind Aros' there was a low buzzing, as something shot across the lawn towards the beast. Aros turned as a rocket blasted past him and a loud, “To infinity, and beyond!” sounded from a figure riding atop the rocket. Just as the rocket was about to collide with the creature's arm, Buzz leaped from the rocket and dropped to the ground, jarred, but not injured. The rocket exploded in a dazzling display of colors, incinerating the creature's swinging arm.

Aros held forth his keyblade and, without pausing to think about what he was doing, focused all his energy on the keyblade in his grip. As a strange tingling sensation shot through Aros' arm, a ball of fire erupted from the tip of his keyblade and shot forward into the beast's exposed head. Aros landed softly on the ground as the creature toppled over backwards and crashed to the pavement of the sidewalk.

As the beast's left arm released Mickey, he rolled to the side and jumped to his feet, summoning back his keyblade and standing in front of Buzz.

“I did it!” Aros exclaimed to Mickey. “I really used magic. It felt so... weird! Like I was releasing energy through the keyblade.”

Mickey nodded his encouragement and then returned his attention to the fallen beast. With a loud bang, it exploded into a cloud of black smoke, which slowly rose upward in a pillar of darkness. At the base of the plume was Sid's small, human body, lying crumpled on the ground. Next to it was Woody, who quickly jumped to his feet and ran over to Buzz and Mickey.

Watching Sid's body slowly stir on the ground, Mickey said, “Thanks for the help, Buzz, but I think you better take Woody and get somewhere safe now.”

Buzz nodded and ran back towards Andy's house past Aros, who gave him a quick thumbs up. When Buzz and Woody had each reached the house safely, Aros lowered his keyblade and ran over to Mickey, who was still panting from fighting off the monster's arm.

Sid slowly climbed to his feet, and evaluated Aros and Mickey quickly with his cold amber eyes. He staggered slightly, but immediately regained his composure and approached the two warriors.

“Sid!” Aros yelled, “are you in there? Can you hear me?”

Sid suddenly erupted in hysterical laughter. “Is Sid in here? What a foolish question. Of course he's in here. He is simply subdued. You cannot remove someone's mind from their body. You can only manipulate it.”

“You're... that man in the black robe! Mesna's servant” Aros said angrily.

“Yes and no. My name is Oznei, and I serve Tronahex, not Mesna. Mesna is dead.”

“What?! How?” Aros and Mickey cried together.

“I admit, I am a bit disappointed. I was expecting a debate. I would think that the Organization would at least tell its new members what they're fighting. I mean, really, Mesna died more than a year ago. How could you not have heard?” Sid casually stepped back from them. “Of course, now there's really no reason for the Organization to exist. Especially not with Tronahex on the throne.”

“What are you talking about?” Aros demanded. “Who's Tronahex? What do you mean the Organization shouldn't exist?”

“Aros, it's probably a trick,” Mickey said. “He's trying to distract us.”

“I hardly need to distract you,” Sid replied with a laugh. He held out his palm, and released a ball of black flames at Aros and Mickey. Mickey swung Star Seeker forward, and a large chunk of ice shot from his keyblade, colliding with the flame and exploding in midair.

Mickey shot another blast of ice at Sid, who blocked it with a simple swish of his hand. The ice rebounded back at Mickey, who hit the chunk with his keblade, bouncing it back at Sid again.

“Aros!” Mickey cried, shaking Aros out of watching the dangerous game of ping-pong. Aros leaped to the right and shot a ball of fire from his keyblade at Sid. Sid launched another ball of black flames at Aros' attack, destroying it with a bang. Immediately after launching his ball of fire, Aros pointed his keyblade at Sid's chest, and shot a glimmering beam of light. As Sid blocked Mickey's ice chunk yet again, the beam struck him in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Black flames exploded out from his sprawled body, and his skin slowly regained its opaqueness.

“What did you do?” Mickey asked in wonder.

“I-I don't know. I just felt an urge to hold up my keyblade, and then that beam shot out. It felt a lot like when I sealed Andy's heart.”

“It looks like you stopped Oznei from controlling Sid,” Mickey observed, watching as Sid's body returned to its normal color.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Aros agreed, running over to Sid.

He crouched beside Sid's unconscious body, and lowered his head to Sid's chest, checking for a heart beat or breathing. “He's just unconscious,” Aros said, feeling the slow rise and fall of the boy's shirt.

“Good,” Mickey muttered, relieved that no one was injured.

As Aros returned to his feet, a corridor of darkness shot out of the ground several feet away. Oznei slowly stepped out, grinning savagely at Aros and Mickey.

“Oznei!” Aros yelled. “Looks like we beat you after all!”

Oznei laughed coldly. “Did you now? Because as I see it, you only beat a meager puppet. I am still standing before you, am I not?”

“Fine, then we'll beat you again!” Aros threatened.

Oznei held up his right hand, and a ball of black flames exploded in his palm A large, tattered book appeared from the flames. He quickly flipped open the book and pulled out a small, sharp knife, which had previously acted as a bookmark.

“Let's see who is truly more powerful,” he whispered cunningly. With a flash of light, Oznei disappeared from before Aros and Mickey.

“Where is he?” Aros cried.

Suddenly, Mickey flew backwards with a thud. As the mouse hit the dirt, he cried out, “Aros, look out, he's right in front of you!”

Aros swiped his keyblade at the air in front of where Mickey had been struck, but his blade met nothing but air. “Where are you?” Aros yelled angrily. “Show yourself, you coward!”

“Very well,” Oznei's smooth voice conceded from across the yard. The robed man was leaning against the fence that separated Sid and Andy's yard, stroking his greasy black hair. “Here I am.” Aros was about to rush at him when a second Oznei appeared to Aros' right. “And I'm here too.”

“Wha-?”

Behind Aros, a third Oznei appeared, swinging his knife at the keyblade wielder's unguarded back. Mickey leaped to his feet and dove towards the robed man, slashing at him with the Star Seeker. But the keyblade simply continued right on through Oznei and to the ground, without slowing down. The Oznei holding the knife flickered and disappeared.

A fourth Oznei appeared instantly behind Mickey and struck him hard in the side of the head with his large book.

“Mickey!” Aros yelled, spinning around to face the mouse's attacker. But as he turned around, the robed man was already gone. He spun back around, and found himself face-to-face with three copies of Oznei. Aros quickly blocked an attack from the right Oznei and swung his keyblade at the middle one. It flickered and faded right before Aros' eyes. But before he could rest for a second, the left Oznei smacked Aros hard in the head with his book. Grinning, he raised a gleaming dagger above Aros' body.

“Goodbye, keyblade master,” he said cheerfully, as the other copy of Oznei disappeared with a swish.

Aros closed his eyes and winced as he imagined the dagger rushing down towards him, ready to end his short life. A startling realization swept over him; this time he really would die. Mickey was on the ground several feet away, and Woody and Buzz were in the house, so he had no one to save him from the oncoming blade. Aros almost grinned. This was how the powerful keyblade wielder would fall: alone, curled up on the grass, beaten by a robed illusionist.

A second passed.

Aros heard a muffled gurgling sound from above him, and light thud as something small hit the dirt next to his leg. He cautiously peeled open his eyes.

Oznei was standing above him, his arms spread out above his head. His dagger was lying by Aros, and his book was in his left hand. Protruding from the middle of Oznei's chest, Aros could see the thin tip of a steel sword. With a jerk, the sword was wrenched from Oznei's body. Oznei staggered to the side and almost fell to the ground, crying out in pain.

Aros peered around in curiosity, looking for the robed man's killer. As Oznei pitched over onto the grass, Aros saw a tall knight, covered from head to foot in battered black armor. Two long, curved spikes pointed out form his shoulder plates, and his helmet had indents in the shape of human eyes, a nose, and a mouth.

“Get off the ground!” the knight ordered to Aros, his voice sharp and commanding.

Aros leaped to his feet and stumbled over to the knight's side. Behind him, Oznei slowly climbed back to his feet. Sweat and blood pouring from his face and chest, he almost fell down again.

Oznei spit up some blood as he attempted to speak. “So... Cecil! I haven't... seen you in... ages.”

The knight, apparently named Cecil, snickered and replied, “It's good to see you too, Oznei. Imagine the odds of running into you here. I actually have a couple of questions for you.”

Oznei began to laugh, but quickly stopped, obviously in too much pain. “Over my... dead body.”

“That can be arranged,” Cecil warned, raising his bloody sword again.

“Not... this time,” Oznei growled.

“Who are you working for?” Cecil demanded. “I don't want any lies!”

“King Tronahex.”

Cecil shook his head. “Are you really going to try that lie on me? I said, who do you work for?!”

Oznei laughed laboriously. “I told you, I serve Tronahex.”

Cecil swore angrily. Oznei half laughed, half choked, and then shrieked at the top of his lungs. He threw out his arms to the side, and sent out a wave of darkness across the lawn. Black clouds quickly materialized over the subdivision, and wisps of darkness spun around the yard.

As Oznei slowly floated up off the ground, Cecil summoned a corridor of darkness. “You two, go through there!” he commanded Mickey and Aros.

“What about you?” Aros yelled over Oznei's scream and the loud rumbling of the dark clouds.

“I'll be fine,” Cecil assured him. “Trust me, I can handle it. Just go!”

Aros gave one last look to Cecil and then turned and ran through the black portal, Mickey hot on his heels.

Cecil raised his sword and turned back to look at Oznei, who was thrashing about, hovering a foot or so in the air. “So, you serve Tronahex, do you?”

Last edited:

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Sorry for taking so long to get this chapter up. I've been totally overwhelmed by homework this trimester at school. I've also been taking time to read over almost all of Final Fantasy IV's script so I could... well, you'll see. I've never actually finished that game, so I figured I needed to familiarize myself with some of the character's mannerisms. And I've also completely spoiled myself for BbS, so I think I can say that this story perfectly fits with BbS. The things that didn't fit (just a couple names that haven't appeared yet) will be changed accordingly. In fact, it's scary how well this story works with things introduced in BbS...

Chapter 8: The Organization

Suelea frowned and rubbed his brow as he pondered his next move. There were so many places to go, so many possibilities, but he knew that only one path could lead him to victory. Hours of planning and maneuvering had all come down to this moment. He breathed deeply and reached out, grabbing the small, wooden knight. “Knight to D4,” he proclaimed. “Check.”

As he placed the small figure on a black square, a corridor of darkness sprang up from the ground across the room. A tall, robed man stepped out of the portal and waved his arm lazily, dismissing the corridor.

“So,” the man said briskly, “you were right.”

Suelea smiled grimly. “Oznei was unsuccessful?”

“Indeed, he failed his mission, as you hypothesized.”

Suelea stood up slowly, walked around the side of the small table he had been seated at, and sat in a chair behind the other side of the chessboard. “He was weak and foolish. And he had no idea of how to plan an assault. Was it the keyblade masters who disposed of him?”

“Oddly enough, it was not. In fact, Oznei was moments away from killing them both.”

Suelea leaned forward, pondering who it could have been that defeated the man who fought off two keyblade masters at once. It could not have been the Organization. Tronahex knew the locations of all its members. There was not a single member in that world.

“It was an old friend of ours,” the hooded man continued. “You may remember him: the dark knight, Cecil.”

“Cecil is alive?” Suelea asked incredulously.

“Yes, he must have survived the attack on the castle. What a fool; he should have stayed in hiding.”

“Does the Organization know of his survival?”

The robed man slowly lowered his black hood and stared Suelea in the eyes. He had long golden hair that hung down to his shoulders and startlingly green pupils that were carefully observing Suelea. “I don't know. But if they did, wouldn't Tronahex have noticed?”

Suelea wiped away his eye-length brown bangs and answered, “It doesn't matter, Neve. All that matters is that Oznei is dead and the keyblade masters have ruined our plans on that world.”

“Not all of them,” Neve said, his mouth twitching into a small grin.

“Will you be cleaning up the mess there?”

“I assume so. I just completed the takeover of the world I was assigned.”

Suelea laughed. “If you have time to spare, then I could use some assistance in my world. Things are going much worse than I thought. I successfully linked my world to Oznei's, but that is mostly the extent of my accomplishments. The locals are very troublesome.”

“Very well, Suelea. But only after I relay the news to the superior.”

Neve called another corridor of darkness and stepped out of the room with a short bow. Suelea grinned and leaned back in his chair. He quickly surveyed the chessboard and moved his rook forward two spaces. It was the only reasonable defense. All the enemy's pieces were in place. The game was about to begin.

******​

Aros was quickly becoming sick of traveling through darkness. But as he plummeted through the disorienting corridor of darkness he had the odd feeling that this time he wasn't quite as nauseas as the previous times. In fact, as he shot towards the other exit of the corridor, he realized that the last time he used one of the corridors he could not even form distinctive thoughts. He was becoming better at this form of travel.

But before he could attempt any kind of control, he crashed out of the end of the corridor and onto the hard stone floor of a small room. Beside him, he heard Mickey land softly on his feet. There were several loud gasps from around the room, and Aros could hear Mickey summon his keyblade with a familiar flash.

There was a loud clank of armor just in front of Aros' head, and he could hear a deep voice breathing above him. Aros slowly looked up to find himself face to face with the sharp end of a twin-pronged lance. The man holding it was tall and almost completely covered by dark purple armor. His helmet was in the shape of a dragon head, and a mess of white hair hung from the back of his helmet to his shoulders..

“Don't move or I will stab the boy!” the man barked. “Identify yourselves.”

Aros crawled to his knees and held his hands up in the air. He quickly scanned his surroundings and found that he was inside a large stone room with no windows. Besides the man who was threatening him, there was a single other person in the room: a slim, blonde woman with a short sword at her side. She was wearing a tight, ornate, white shirt, a pair of fancy leggings, a pair of gray and purple shoes, a short golden cape, and two spiked spauldrons. Aros also noticed that she was also wearing a golden tiara under her long bangs. For a moment he wondered if she was some kind of royalty, but after he scanned the dilapidated building around them, he decided that she couldn't be.

Mickey dismissed his keyblade and said slowly, “I'm Mickey, and this is Aros. We don't mean any harm.”

“Don't mean any harm? You just came through a corridor of darkness! How did you summon one here?”

Aros lowered his arms and explained, “It wasn't our corridor, a man just-”

“Wait!” the woman across the room exclaimed, as thought suddenly coming to a conclusion. “You said your name was Mickey, did you not?” Mickey nodded quickly. She turned and addressed the armored man. “He must be the mouse Asi described: the keyblade master!”

“Then who's the boy? Asi never mentioned a boy.”

“I'm a keyblade master too!” Aros said proudly, summoning and then immediately dismissing his gold and silver keyblade.

The man lowered his lance slowly and asked the woman, “You think they know Asi?”

Instantly, Aros thought of the blue-haired man who told supposedly told the Organization about Mickey. “We do!” Aros said almost too quickly.

The man snorted at Aros' hastiness. “Fine, then describe him to me.”

Suddenly unsure if he was right in thinking that the blue-haired man was Asi, Aros looked pleadingly at Mickey. The mouse sighed and nodded, agreeing with what he figured Aros was about to say. Aros inhaled sharply and said, “He had long blue hair, golden eyes, and a scar across his face.”

The armored man glanced to the woman and stepped back from Aros. He turned and addressed Mickey. “So you are the one he was talking about?”

“Are you the Organization?” Mickey asked friendlily.

“Yes we are, and I am Kain, the the first captain of our order. This is Rosa,” Kain said, gesturing to the woman behind him. Rosa smiled and waved. Kain continued, “You are standing in what we refer to as the Base, the center of our operations. You have my apologies for being so hasty to attack you before. It's just that this building is supposed to be impossible to link to with corridors of darkness. How you were able to do it-”

“No, it wasn't us,” Aros interrupted. “A knight summoned that corridor for us. He said his name was Cecil.”

“Cecil! How?” Rosa cried. “Was he wearing black armor?!” Aros nodded. “Where did you see him?” she asked.

“It was in... um...I actually don't know. We were just in a world that Asi sent us to. There were a bunch of talking toys there, and-”

“The World of Toys,” Kain said, nodding.

“Yeah, sure. And we were fighting a robed man when Cecil saved us.”

Kain sighed. “That's just like Cecil, leaving a hole in our defenses so he can come and go as he pleases. But anyway, with whom were you dueling when you met Cecil? Was it one of Mesna's servants?”

“His name was Oznei. He said that Mesna is dead, and that he works for Tronahex.” Aros tried to judge from Kain's reaction under his helmet if that was common knowledge, but he couldn't discern anything from the man's straight face. “Who's Tronahex?”

Kain laughed and said, “Oznei was lying, Mesna is certainly not dead. After one of our raids on the castle, Mesna captured our leader, Tronahex, and he is now claiming that he is Tronahex, and that Mesna is dead. As if we would believe that our own leader is fighting against us. No, it's just another one of his lies.”

“How do you know for sure?” Aros asked, slightly suspicious.

“Tell me, why would Tronahex create the Organization if he would have to defeat it only several years later? It would be incredibly stupid, and Tronahex was one of the most brilliant tacticians I have ever met. And, regardless of that, I know Tronahex, and he was always trying to help this world. He wouldn't send heartless out to destroy the city like this. He was the one that brought us the Mesna Report in the first place.”

“The Mesna Report?” Mickey repeated.

“Yes,” Kain said, turning and quickly exiting the room. He came back several seconds later with a battered piece of white paper. It looked like the its top right edge was torn off, and the once-white paper was now turning a rather hideous shade of tan. Kain handed it to Aros, who knelt down so Mickey could read it too.

Mesna Report 3-

Spurred on by the results of our last successful experiment, my apprentices have gathered more subjects for testing. These subjects, however, were seemingly not dark of heart. They were the average, kind, and loyal citizens of my world. I felt a pang of guilt for what they would soon undergo, but I must know more. The life of every person on my world depends on it.

In identical tests to our first, all our new subjects' hearts also collapsed. Each one formed another heartless, which all looked nearly identical. We tagged each and brought them to the dungeon, to be kept with our original specimen. But when we opened the door to the dungeon later, we found that our original specimen had multiplied. There were nearly a dozen heartless waiting for us.

Fascinated, I provided the heartless several living and nonliving samples. They only seemed interested in the living samples, so I sent one of our original prisoners into the dungeon. When I entered the next day, he was gone, along with all our other live samples. But there were several new heartless.

Because of this, I have hypothesized that the heartless may feed off people's hearts. Those hearts then fall into darkness and become a heartless themselves. The name I gave them is ironic, for they are not heartless at all. They are , in fact, nothing but hearts.

“Is this is a research log?” Aros asked.

“Yes, it is one of Mesna's early logs. Tronahex said several times that there are ten of them in all. The rest are most likely in the castle, in Mesna's lab. The one you have right there is the whole reason for our war against Mesna. As you read, Mesna kidnapped people in the dead of night and killed them, all in the name of his insane research. When Tronahex, one of Mesna's apprentices, witnessed these sickening experiments, he escaped the castle and rallied the people to defeat Mesna. The Organization was created a year after the resulting battle that destroyed this city.”

“So Mesna created the heartless?” Aros asked.

“Yes, and each one is made from the fallen heart of one of his victims.”

“That's horrible!” Aros cried.

“What can we do to help?” Mickey asked.

“That depends,” Kain said quickly, looking to Rosa. “Asi went missing after he told us about your arrival, and he has been functioning as our leader. We'll have to wait for him to return to decide anything.”

Aros looked awkwardly to Mickey, unsure what to say. He had never known how to break bad news to people, and this was about as bad as news could get. Not knowing any other way to say it, Aros mumbled, “He's not... he's not going to come back. He... he was killed, protecting us from one of Mesna's servants...The man who killed him was working for Mesna; his name was Ael...I-I'm really sorry.”

Kain breathed deeply and stepped back, looking sadly to Rosa. Her eyes were quickly tearing up, and after a moment of sniffling she broke down and started crying. Kain walked over and embraced her, and she covered her teary eyes with her hands.

“I'm sorry,” Aros said again, feeling utterly useless.

“It's not your fault,” Kain said solemnly. “Asi chose what he thought was right. I cannot blame you for that. Just... give us a moment to grieve for our friend.”

Mickey gestured for Aros to follow him into the next room, where they sat on a pair of small wooden stools. For several minutes Aros gazed blankly at the wooden legs of his stool, counting wood grain lines. It was something he always used to do back on his islands when he was being punished; and it helped him pass the time when he was being punished by his parents. Mickey simply stared across the room, obviously in deep thought.

“...So...” Aros mumbled, trying to disrupt the somber silence of the room and the loud sobs from the next room, “what do you think of the Organization? Do you want to help them?”

After a slight pause, Mickey answered, “Yep, they seem really nice. And we'll need their help if we're gonna save all the worlds from the darkness.”

Aros returned to staring at the four legs of his stool, again unsure what to say. It was a horrible feeling, bringing such bad news and such good news at one time. He wondered what would happen to the Organization, now that their leader was captured and their second in command was dead. It was all he and Mickey's fault. If the Organization fell, it was their fault.

A bang, and the sound of a heavy door opening pulled Aros from his thoughts. There were many quick footsteps, and three figures rounded the corner into the room. The first was a young woman with bright green hair and a small, green halter top. She wore a yellow sash, tall green boots, and a starred green cape. The second figure was a muscular, bald man, with a blond ponytail, a wiry gold mustache, and a dangling earing in each ear. The man was shirtless, with loose, polka-dotted red pants and pointed brown shoes. The final person was a young man with a mess of white hair combed back on his head, a long white cape, and a strip of fine cloth wrapped around his mouth. He wore a sleeveless black shirt, white pants, and tall boots, and he also held a massive throwing star in each hand. He reminded Aros of the ninjas in all the old comic books he and Ukir used to read.

As the girl spotted Aros and Mickey, she squealed and jumped in surprise. The shirtless man immediately crouched into a fighting stance, and the ninja-like man held out his throwing star and demanded, “Who are you?”

Mickey glanced to Aros and explained yet again, “I'm Mickey and this is Aros. We're keyblade masters and we want to-”

“We're friends,” Aros interrupted, quickly becoming tired of hearing Mickey's introduction. “Kain and Rosa are in the other room. You should probably talk to them.” From the other room, the three newcomers heard a loud sob and a moan.

“What's going on in there?” the green-haired girl asked.

“Well... just ask them, I'd rather not explain it again...”

“Asi is dead, isn't he?” the ninja said grimly.

Aros gasped in surprise. “Did you hear about it already?”

“No, I just guessed. Those two are crying in there, so nothing happened to them, and Asi has been missing for days, so it's safe to assume that something happened to him. And the fact that Asi was talking about that mouse before he disappears makes me certain that the mouse would know what happened to Asi.”

Aros just stared in amazement at the man, who's darting brown eyes were quickly evaluating him. “Who are you all?” Aros asked.

“I am Edge, apparently the new first captain of the Organization,” the man said, without even the slightest hesitation in his voice.

The shirtless man stepped forward, though obviously preoccupied with thoughts of Asi, and said, “I am Yang, the master monk. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Edge and Yang looked at the woman for her introduction, but she just broke down into tears. Aros watched in sadness as she rushed into the other room to weep with Kain and Rosa.

“That is Rydia,” Edge explained, “she is our summoner. Forgive her lack of formality, but Asi was very dear to all of us.”

“You don't need to apologize,” Mickey said.

“Yeah,” Aros agreed, remembering how he had acted after Ukir died, “you guys just lost a friend. You have a right to cry.”

Kain strode quickly into the room and said promptly, “Asi wasn't the first of our order to die in combat, and he won't be the last. Mesna's forces are moving more every day, and we can't afford to be overwhelmed because of our fear of more losses. Today we can weep, but tomorrow we must return to operation as usual. I will take over the duties of Asi, unless there are any objections.”

Aros looked around at the three other silent people in the room before asking, “So you were the second-in-command before today?”

“No,” Kain said quickly, “I was originally fourth in command. First was Tronahex, then Cecil, then Asi, and then me. But as fate would have it, all three ahead of me are either dead or gone. So unless Cecil decides to return to us, or we miraculously rescue Tronahex, I am the highest ranking member here. Then again, that means nothing, unless I have the obedience of the others.” Kain turned to Edge and asked, “Now Edge, where is Iriak? I thought Asi entrusted her to you.”

“She is with Edward,” Edge replied immediately. “I believe they are on a reconnaissance mission on the far side of town. I was with Yang and Rydia in Habarga.”

“Fine, then we shall wait until they return to initiate Aros and Mickey.”

“Wait,” Aros said suddenly, processing what Kain just said, “we never told you we'd join.” He obviously had every intention of joining, but Aros didn't want Kain to start off thinking he could make decisions for he and Mickey.

“You don't really have a choice in the matter,” Kain answered flatly. “You are in the heart of our headquarters, and just heard the names and locations of most of our members. Either you join, or we'll be forced to confine you. If you two didn't have those keyblades, I'd be tempted to have you locked away right now for what you just said.”

“What?!” Aros cried. “I thought you were the good guys!”

“Idiot,” Kain said sharply, “there are no 'good guys' in war. One little slip-up, and everyone here could end up dead. What matters is that we kill Mesna with as few casualties as possible. If that means eliminating some punk who can't swallow his pride and follow orders, then so be it.”

“You can't give me orders, I'm not even a member yet!”

“Were you listening? If you know what's good for you, you'll be silent now and do what you're told. It's either join us, or get locked up in a cell in a building across town. I know what I'd choose.”

Without waiting for an answer, Kain gestured for Yang and Edge to follow him from the room. Mickey gave Aros a confused look and then followed them. Aros lingered in the room, his teeth clenched together and his hands balled into fists. He couldn't believe Kain would talk to a keyblade master like that. It was completely disrespectful. With a huff he returned to sitting on the stool in the corner of the room.

What had he done to make Kain so angry? It wasn't fair that Kain could just assume that he and Mickey would join the Organization. If the Organization was this corrupt, then why should he help them get control of the world? They were just a bunch of jerks. Kain wouldn't be any better of a ruler than Mesna.

Aros sighed and shook his head, trying to calm himself down a bit. He knew that not everyone in the Organization was like Kain; the others all seemed nice enough. And he figured he should give probably give Kain a second chance too, even though he had done nothing to deserve it. After all, the Organization just lost its leader and they were all still fighting the heartless. Working with them was probably the only way he could get his world back.

Aros slowly released his fists and noticed that he had made marks in his palm with his fingernails. Was he really that mad? He hopped off the stool and slowly strode towards the main room, his breathing still ragged from his bout of anger.

******​

It was nearly two hours and one meal later when Aros heard the door to the Base open, and two strangers strode into the main hall. The first was a pale man who was immediately greeted by Kain, and was carrying a small stringed instrument. He was wearing bright orange pants, a striped shirt, a yellow vest, and a small orange hat on top of his almost frighteningly white hair.

Immediately, Kain cried out, “Edward, finally! You've heard the news, right?”

Edward nodded.

“And you have Iriak with you, do you not?”

“Of course,” Edward said simply. He gestured to the door to the hall, in which a young girl was standing. She had short red hair, and stood about to Aros' eyes in height. She wore a white sleeveless shirt, a green skirt, and a pair of white tennis shoes.

The girl immediately spotted Aros and asked, “Who's he?”

“I-I'm Aros,” Aros stuttered. He had never known any girl on his island beside Refia, and he thought this new girl was much prettier than her. “W-What's your name?” he asked.

“I'm Iriak.” Aros saw Iriak lean over to Kain and he thought he could make out her whisper “Does he have a speech problem?”

Kain laughed and answered loudly, “No, but apparently he has a mental condition.”

“Hey!” Aros said angrily. “I don't have a mental-”

“Relax,” Kain sighed, “it was a joke. Just a joke.” Iriak giggled.

Aros glowered at Kain for a minute and then mumbled, “I know, but...it wasn't funny.” Iriak giggled again.

This is just great, Aros thought angrily, he'd been here less than a day and he'd already made a bad impression with every person in the Organization. He'd even messed up any chance of making friends with the only person his age. What a great day...

“All right,” Kain said sternly, wiping the smirk off his face, “now that you've met every member of the Organization stationed here on this world, it's important that you learn as much about them as you can. Can you at least name them all?”

“Uh... well, there's you, Rosa, Rydia, Edge, Edward, Iriak, and... uh...uh the monk...”

“Yang,” Mickey filled in.

“Yeah that's it,” Aros agreed.

“Well done, Mickey,” Kain complimented. Aros was tempted to mention how he named all six others, but he knew that Kain was just goading him, so he kept his mouth shut.

Kain paused a moment, glanced at Aros with a half grin, and then continued, “I will be assigning you to missions with the other members in order to familiarize you not only with them, but with this world and all our operations here. Starting tomorrow, I will asses both of your fighting abilities. Prepare accordingly. Now I think it is high time that we all retire for the night. It has been a very long, very stressful day, so I suggest getting a good night's rest. Tomorrow we resume all our operations. Report to me in the morning for orders.”

“Wait,” Aros said, suddenly remembering his conversation with Kain earlier. “What about Mickey and my initiation? You said that we'd do that once Edward and Iriak got here.”

“Oh, I did, didn't I?” Kain said, instantly remembering his words. He smiled, walked forward, and tapped both Mickey and Aros on the shoulder with his lance. “By the power vested in me, I hereby declare you trainees in this Organization, with all the powers and abilities inherent in your stations.” He nodded at them both and turned to walk away.

“That's it?” Aros said, slightly disappointed.

“No, but that's all we can afford to do now. I'd rather see you get some good rest for tomorrow than celebrate your new status. Clear?”

“Sure,” Aros said in agreement. As Kain turned away, Aros sighed and slouched a bit. Was every conversation with Kain really going to become an argument? He hadn't meant to start a fight with his question, he was just curious. Why did Kain dislike him so much?

As Aros wiped the thoughts from his mind, the other members of the Organization slowly filed out of the room, leaving Aros and Mickey alone in the large hall. Aros sighed and slumped into a chair.

“You okay?” Mickey asked in concern.

“Yeah, I'm just... nervous. I don't know if I really belong here... Nobody seems to want me here”

“Of course you belong here, you're a keyblade master. It's our duty to protect the worlds. I'm sure everyone is glad to have you here.”

“Yeah, whatever.” If Kain was so glad that Aros was there, then why was he constantly harassing him? Aros knew that Kain didn't do that to everybody. And he knew that the other Organization members didn't exactly welcome him with open arms either. But he couldn't really blame them for that; practically the first thing out of Aros' mouth was that Asi was dead.

“Aros, don't worry,” Mickey said, walking to stand in front of Aros' chair. He set his gloved hand on Aros's knee and said quietly, “All you need to do is follow your heart. Whatever your heart chooses, that's what you should do. Don't worry what other people think.”

“Thanks, Mickey,” Aros whispered, climbing to his feet. Mickey was right, it didn't matter what Kain thought of him. He was on a mission to save his world, and no pompous knight was going to get in his way. A small grin crossing his face, and Aros slowly made his way through the spiraling halls to where Kain had told him his bedroom was. He lay down on the small, hard bed in the corner, and slowly closed his eyes, drifting off to a light sleep. He'd show them all. He'd rescue all his friends and stop Mesna.

Last edited:

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Hey there, I'm here to critique your fanfiction. I'm only doing the prologue and chapter one for now, but I hope to be able to look at it all. I will try my best to be thorough and specific.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back