• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHII Sora

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Major problem with Sora these days is his need to be a vehicle for the most simple players. 'Why do I want to fight the bad guys' they ask. Here's why; it's a fucking video game and you're playing as the good guy. Look, Aladdin is in some deep shit! Remember when you watched Aladdin? Bet you wanna help Aladdin out already! You don't NEED Sora to explain it, because the player already understands.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
I only really have one qualm with KHII Sora. Sora is almost ruthless in how he handles the majority of Organization XIII. Literally the only member he tried reasoning with was Xemnas during the conversation about memories. Characters like Demyx didn't have the option or time to answer let alone have similar questions.

Kingdom Hearts I Sora would have at least let them talk first and try to find another way, II just went all out at them. II is the only game where Sora is not consistently Sora.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I only really have one qualm with KHII Sora. Sora is almost ruthless in how he handles the majority of Organization XIII. Literally the only member he tried reasoning with was Xemnas during the conversation about memories. Characters like Demyx didn't have the option or time to answer let alone have similar questions.

Kingdom Hearts I Sora would have at least let them talk first and try to find another way, II just went all out at them. II is the only game where Sora is not consistently Sora.

I just love how every situation in KH II gets thrown into the same lot and then Sora branded as an idiot for not "reasoning" with them.
Every scene needs to be put into the correct context as well.

When he had the conversation with Xemnas, not only was Xemnas already defeated there, he also had all his friends (safe) by his side and there were no more urgent matters at hand.
Saix attacked him and the others like a madman and before only threw insults and threats at them, no wonder Sora didn't feel in the mood to reason.
Luxord "kidnapped" his friends by forcefully "teleporting" them away with his cards, rightfully angering Sora and getting his ass beaten for it.
Xigbar clearly attacked first and initiated the battle himself as did Xaldin.
And for the whole issue with Demyx, they were in a WAR at that point because of the massive Heartless attack on Radiant Garden. Sora, Donald and Goofy were on their way to support Leon and the others in the fighting and then a commander of the enemy forces blocks their way. Of course they weren't in the mood for some reasoning or some meaningless chit-chat.
I agree with the notion that Sora may have been a little too verbally provocative (which is indeed not a typical Sora-behaviour), yet that can be explained with the simple fact that he wanted Demyx out of the way somehow, either by scaring him away or by beating him to they can move on.
Donald even told Demyx to get out of the way, meaning that they weren't really hellbent on eliminating him but gave him a chance to let them pass. It was Demyx who didn't let them through to help the others but kept holding them up with his antics and therefore was categorized as a threat as well and eliminated.

Even in KH 1, Sora wasn't really the "talk first and find another way"-type when approaching an enemy as he didn't really reason with any of the major Disney bosses either.
Not even Lock, Shock and Barrel where reasoned/talked with until after the battle, just like with Xemnas.
In CoM, Sora also seldomly wasted time to attack adversaries outright, like i.e. hooded Marluxia right at the beginning of the game.

The way I see it, when looking at how Sora handles his opponents there isn't much of a difference between KH 1, CoM, 2 and DDD, the only exceptions being characters Sora already knows, such as Riku in KH 1 or Rinzler/Tron in DDD.
The only difference I see here is an (possibly unintended?) double standard from parts of the fanbase in that Sora should try to reason with the Organisation XIII-members, but directly attacking Disney villains (as in KH 1) is perfectly ok?

I do wholeheartly agree that KH II Sora has several problems in his characterization, but the way he treats and reacts to the bosses is not one of them because he always does it the way he does it in II except if he either knows the character in question already of if there is story exposition to make (like with Axel and Larxene in CoM).

Some guy

Every scene needs to be put into the correct context as well.

When he had the conversation with Xemnas, not only was Xemnas already defeated there, he also had all his friends (safe) by his side and there were no more urgent matters at hand.
Saix attacked him and the others like a madman and before only threw insults and threats at them, no wonder Sora didn't feel in the mood to reason.
Luxord "kidnapped" his friends by forcefully "teleporting" them away with his cards, rightfully angering Sora and getting his ass beaten for it.
Xigbar clearly attacked first and initiated the battle himself as did Xaldin.
And for the whole issue with Demyx, they were in a WAR at that point because of the massive Heartless attack on Radiant Garden. Sora, Donald and Goofy were on their way to support Leon and the others in the fighting and then a commander of the enemy forces blocks their way. Of course they weren't in the mood for some reasoning or some meaningless chit-chat.
I agree with the notion that Sora may have been a little too verbally provocative (which is indeed not a typical Sora-behaviour), yet that can be explained with the simple fact that he wanted Demyx out of the way somehow, either by scaring him away or by beating him to they can move on.
Donald even told Demyx to get out of the way, meaning that they weren't really hellbent on eliminating him but gave him a chance to let them pass. It was Demyx who didn't let them through to help the others but kept holding them up with his antics and therefore was categorized as a threat as well and eliminated.
Exactly, well put argumentation.

Sora was never the brightest one of the bunch (saying he's stupid is going to far though), however he always tries to see the good in people (if there is any), and does what he thinks is best for everyone (especially his friends). That is why he can becomes ruthless when his friends are in danger (even Disney ones) ... This simple mindset has been a constant throughout the games, and is in no way a sign of immaturity.

Personally, I see no discrepancy in Sora's characterization, I see evolution. In KH I, he didn't talk much and was a little moody (If memories serve right) which is understandable since he was so young and had to face many problems (homeworld, friends, ...). In CoM, he was more optimistic until the girl she thought was safe was replaced with another damsel in distress. In KH II, having most of his burden off his shoulders made him "happier" and more optimistic, all he had left to do was find Riku. In DDD, it's true that a new threat appeared, but his friends were safe (this is all he cares about, really); and he just took the exam (he even didn't care about) for his friend.
That's why I think KH I Sora isn't how the guy is supposed to be in the first place, since he had so much to worry about.
The only problem I have with Sora is how he acted in some scenes in KH I (in Hollow Bastion and EotW), it just made no sense to me (character-wise) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back