• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI makes a KH Production! Announcement

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
“A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory... a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream... I want to line the pieces up... yours and mine.”

Once upon a time, there existed a series of threads where the KHI community discussed the production of a hypothetical Kingdom Hearts game. This project was called the KHI makes a KH Game! project.

As time went on, a dozen of passionate members decided to team up and take everything discussed up until that point to try to make the dream a reality: a Kingdom Hearts game, made by the fans for the fans. This game would feature an original storyline with original characters, completely seperate from the main games (with the only common theme being the mythos). The story would be that of four young heroes losing their homes and trying to find a new one: a place to belong. A story about fate and acceptance. A story about making new friends and understanding one another, even if the other has a different view on life.

Now, I know what you're thinking: why is this person telling me all of this?

Well, after years of hard work, we've realized that our part in this amazing project is done. While we've worked on it with great passion and dedication, we've grown older and simply don't have have the time anymore to give this project the attention it truly deserves. And so, it's time to hand it over to new and equally passionate people to pick up where we left off. After talking with Taochan about this, she told me I could post this thread here, in the "Future of Kingdom Hearts" section.

This all started on May 28th 2011. The project was moved away from KHI at the end of 2012. Now, at the start of 2016, we've decided to bring it back.. But under a new name: KHI makes a KH Production!

While this is a continuation of the previous project, we will not focus on making a fanmade game. Instead, I want you guys to have the possibility to decide on what you want to make. And so, the focus will be on delivering a fanmade production. This means you can turn this project into a graphic novel, a comic, a video mini-series, a short movie ... or, with enough horsepower, a game. In other words: everything is possible. I'd be honoured if you guys continued the work on what we've already made/written, but I can't really force you to do so. However, at the very least, it can serve as a base for what is to come.

Here are some of the mock-ups we made, that showcase what look we were aiming for:

Spoiler Spoiler Show
And these are the characters we've written and designed for our story:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I'm also going to post a story outline of the story we've written for this project. This will include the worlds we've decided on using, as well as what would happen in said worlds. It's gonna take some time to write down, but expect it to be posted sometime next week. In the meantime, you guys can discuss what you want to make. Here's a list of possibilities (not limited to):

Graphic novel
Novel
Comic
Video-series
Short movie
Videogame
...​

Obviously, if there are any questions surrounding the project (and there will be), feel free to ask me in this thread. Especially when it comes to story-related things, I'd love to go into more detail.

I'm really excited to see the community come together once again. Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:

Vanitas X

The story is honestly not bad. I think the story should still be as it is

Keyblade Meister

The character designs are unbelievable I can see it definitely as a graphic novel but rwby has been a major popular video series and I would like to see a kh series come to reality or a short movie either one.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
So, is this some sort of collaborative effort? I'd like to contribute in some way but I have no idea how. :I

Vanitas X

what I want to know is if there's going to be some parts of the game where the characters fight each other a lot because because base on what I saw about the characters there's one character who somewhat goes in a situation where Riku has gone through before.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
So, is this some sort of collaborative effort? I'd like to contribute in some way but I have no idea how. :I

It is! And I hope everyone who is interested in helping out will join in on the fun!

Talking from experience, you don't need to be the best artist or writer to be able to contribute. It happens often that one simple idea can turn into something bigger when you're working together with others. Whether it's a design idea or a story-element, as long as you can get an idea across, you can contribute.

what I want to know is if there's going to be some parts of the game where the characters fight each other a lot because because base on what I saw about the characters there's one character who somewhat goes in a situation where Riku has gone through before.

Yes, there's a part in the story that focuses on such a conflict, when the four main characters are sent off to Arendelle, the Frozen world. This would take place about halfway through the story. Upon arriving in the world, the four get seperated.

Brand, the Darkness user, finds Elsa and comforts her. He tries to tell her that her powers don't turn her into a freak as long as she doesn't use them for evil. Raine, on the other hand, disagrees completely and is on Hans' side, not realizing he's the villain. He confronts Brand and they fight. Brand isn't quite like Riku in that he doesn't feel bad about using Darkness. He feels bad that other people don't accept him the way he is.

We've tried our best with this story to create a gray-area between the characters, rather than having the good vs. evil story you'd see in other Kingdom Hearts games. The story begins in a classic good vs. evil way, but gets much deeper as it progresses.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
This sounds pretty cool (Light-based enemies *squee!*)
I'd love to contribute in some way but I know I'm not very good at keeping promises. I am thinking about doing some drawings for the four main characters though.

Dr_Mario64

The story sounds amazing. Im also a writer so if I can help in anyway just message me:)

Ditto! I'm studying to be a gaming content designer, and already have a large chunk of a Warhammer 40K (fan-made) codex under my belt, so if you need a hand cranking out lore and/or characters, you know who to ask! ;)

Not to mention this would make a great addition to my portfolio *nudge nudge wink wink*

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
The story sounds amazing. Im also a writer so if I can help in anyway just message me:)
Ditto! I'm studying to be a gaming content designer, and already have a large chunk of a Warhammer 40K (fan-made) codex under my belt, so if you need a hand cranking out lore and/or characters, you know who to ask! ;)

Not to mention this would make a great addition to my portfolio *nudge nudge wink wink*

Appreciate the kind words! And great, two writers! :)

I need to stress out, though, that I'm only here to make sure the "move" of the project goes as smoothly as possible. This means that, eventually, I'm planning on not being as involved as I am now. I will, however, check in every once in a while and give advice/answer questions where needed.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if you guys really wanna make a game, then you really need enough horsepower. Here's a list of people you need to make a game:

Programmers
Musicians/SFX
2D/3D artists (depending on what kind of look you're going for)
Animators
Writers
...​

Every artstyle has its own advantages and disadvantages. Sprite art f.e. looks awesome, when done right, but takes a lot of time to get right. I'd say, if you have enough 3D artists and animators, low-poly models are the way to go. But definitely give this enough thought. It all depends on who gets on board and what their skills are. In terms of Game Engines, I'd say Unity is a very viable option, knowing that it became completely free-to-use last year and, from what I remember, is relatively easy to learn and work with (tons of tutorials).

As for level design and gameplay mechanics, they aren't too hard to think of, they just need to make sense. We've already written down a rough idea of what we wanted the gameplay to be like so you guys can always build from that, if you want to. But again, I'd only consider turning this into a game if you're certain that you have enough people to do this and/or people willing to learn new things to take on said roles.

Depending on what you guys wanna make, I can provide you with the necessary information to get you started, so be sure to let me know what you wanna make. You're not limited to making a videogame :)

This sounds pretty cool (Light-based enemies *squee!*)
I'd love to contribute in some way but I know I'm not very good at keeping promises. I am thinking about doing some drawings for the four main characters though.

Feel free to do so ;)

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I wanted to wait until I had a sketch of all four of the main characters, but I haven't had much time to really work on anything save for a sketch of Linnea, so I thought I'd least post the one to try and keep the thread active.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I immediately gravitated towards Linnea's design, which is probably my favorite of the four. It's peppy.
Didn't change too much from what I saw (honestly I forgot what the changes I did were, and the links are suddenly not working for me so I can't check.)

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Oh wow. So it's been ages since I last posted in these forums, and I just kinda did a google search on this project on a whim and found myself in this thread. I just wanted to say I remember Linnea's design being the main one I was never happy with, and you knocked it out of the park. Perfect.

Last edited:

Sdog

Awards
I wanted to wait until I had a sketch of all four of the main characters, but I haven't had much time to really work on anything save for a sketch of Linnea, so I thought I'd least post the one to try and keep the thread active.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I immediately gravitated towards Linnea's design, which is probably my favorite of the four. It's peppy.
Didn't change too much from what I saw (honestly I forgot what the changes I did were, and the links are suddenly not working for me so I can't check.)

Damn, you've gotten REALLY good! Especially emulating Nomura's style! =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back