• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH III and NPCs

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavxo

Awards
I'm pretty sure this has been broughten up before but with all the new information we've gotten in the last few days I've noticed that nothing has been said about NPC interaction. Not in any interviews or other pieces of information we've gotten. My biggest gripe with the KH series is how empty worlds feel. Take Twilight Town, Radiant Garden, Traverse Town, Ect. We have all these huge city/town like places yet there's no one ever in them but shop keepers and people realvant to the story. I think it'd be cool to fight heartless in crowded areas where there's people running away/screaming. Chasing enemies through crowded markets. I love games where you can talk to people and trade with them or start side missions for them. We're gonna have larger more open maps and I hope they're filled with more people and not just more enemies. Even if you can't talk to them it'd just feel so much more lively.

BEASTENDER

Treasure Planet...Spaceport....my dream. So many lively people, and so many opportunities for crowd interaction. I too, also thought of a scene where heartless appear and people are all running away in a frenzy (realtime and during gameplay, not a cutscene). It's little touches like that that can take KH3 to another level. If Nomura honestly thinks Sora's hair "doesn't look right" in HD, I hope he can say the same for the upgraded worlds. That, "huh, these worlds look kind of empty in HD, we should liven it up" moment lol. If they're going to make worlds so much bigger, that shouldn't equate to so much emptier. I think this will be addressed though. You can't make worlds bigger and not notice that some feel empty and lifeless. The PS2's limitations may have also played a role. If there's another Olympus Coliseum on Mount Olympus, maybe there will actually be people in the stands! In any case, system limitations will no longer be an excuse.

Also, I'd love if Shibuya from TWEWY made an appearance in some form (somehow) That's also a setting for a very lively atmosphere.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
As much as I would like to see NPCs in KH3, I'm keeping my hopes low. Lately I have started to think that the lack of NPCs isn't due to limited technology, but the developers not doing it intentionally. Looking back, the 3Ds could have handled quite a few NPCs given how large the worlds were but DDD was still empty

Mavxo

Awards
I honestly think the thought may have never occurred to them. I added it in the survey last week I thought games felt too empty. DDD felt very empty especially because you hardly interacted with anyone. The dream eaters weren't very good company and the worlds had little characters. The games are very linear for today's gaming where large open worlds are the norm. I'm glad that it's not gonna be a straight path anymore.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I don't want AC Unity massive crowds glitching all over the place, but I don't want the entire world to be void of all but the main characters like all the previous games. It makes the world feel empty and it will feel so much more so with these giant environments we're now seeing in the latest trailer. I really hope there's at least SOME additional NPC presence in this game.

And I swear, if we see the Coliseum and not just Mount Olympus, do NOT have the invisible cheering crowd. It's funny, but it was also acceptable back in the PS2/PSP era of limited technology. Nowadays, that is just... no. No invisible crowd.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I could easily overlook the lack of npcs before,especially for kh2/BBS because of how small the worlds were.But now the worlds are so much bigger the lack of npcs will be so much more noticeable.

Maybe with Disney's more involvement this time they'll encourage square in doing so.It's not like i want npcs plastered everywhere.

I just want npcs for the worlds that were shown to have a really lively population in the movie.

I'll pretty be disappointed if Corona/Thebes and whatever other towns are empty this time when they were so lively in the film.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
I could do w/o NPCs in the battle field but for worlds that are towns just gimme one area for some towns folk. This would've helped Agrabah, Castle of Dreams, Halloween Town, Port Royal, Enchanted Dominion and of course La Cite Des Coches so so much.

Neo_

Awards
They'd have to do this with the advance in technology since the first game.

I know what you mean. The Hunchback of Notre Dame level in DDD was disgustingly empty.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Seeing as how there should exist little to no technical limitations because of the differences between the PS2 and the PS4, I presume we can finally see worlds filled with NPCs we can interact with and would possibly interact would the environment, I.E., you're at a village, Heartless appear and some villagers would go escape screaming, or some would foolishly try to attack them.

Anagram

Banned
I've finally gotten to the point that all I ask is that they at least, AT LEAST, make it so that supposedly inhabited areas are lively with NPCS.
Stop giving me towns or coliseums with no one in them yet noises like they are SE! It's lazy!

disney233

Awards
I made a thread about this exact topic, and I AGREE 100% There needs to be some NPC's walking around the world and probably in the common areas like the Corona village or OLYMPUS COLISEUM! They just seem so empty without them.

bgizzles45

It wouldn't make sense if there are tons of NPCs if everyone is turning into heartless. Towns are empty because heartless are the "zombies" of this apocalyptic universe. Towns are supposed to be ghost towns. Maybe Traverse Town (if it makes a return) and Radiant Garden should be the only world where there are tons of NPCs. There is no safe haven for ordinary people if heartless are roaming everywhere.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It wouldn't make sense if there are tons of NPCs if everyone is turning into heartless. Towns are empty because heartless are the "zombies" of this apocalyptic universe. Towns are supposed to be ghost towns. Maybe Traverse Town (if it makes a return) and Radiant Garden should be the only world where there are tons of NPCs. There is no safe haven for ordinary people if heartless are roaming everywhere.

^^^ This has nothing to do. Back on the original KH, we saw how a resident of Traverse Town got turned into a Heartless, and even so, it was still populated.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Kingdom Hearts isn't really an "apocalyptic universe" though. And yes, that does make sense that a town whose residents all turned into heartless would be vacant, but in KH3, there's no threat attacking the world like in 1 and 2, at least not from the start. DDD leaves off with the worlds still normal and everyone preparing for the big battle. As of yet, all the worlds should be populated and fine. So, we should be seeing plenty of NPC's.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I've finally gotten to the point that all I ask is that they at least, AT LEAST, make it so that supposedly inhabited areas are lively with NPCS.
Stop giving me towns or coliseums with no one in them yet noises like they are SE! It's lazy!

Ugh. I'm getting Kingdom Hearts II and Birth by Sleep flashbacks all over again.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

That to me doesn't make much sense given we see active civilization going on when we visit worlds. Agrabah got a princess and a peddler shop yet no NPC for goodness sake.

Bridgeman

I kinda liked Traverse Town in KH1. There was stuff to do, you could collect the postcards, there were some boss battles, a shop, the dalmatians place, the Winnie the Pooh book. It felt like a pretty decent RPG town. Plus the music and aesthetics were great, it really felt like a haven where people from all kinds of worlds had come to seek refuge from the Heartless.

I hated Hollow Bastion in KH2 tho, so I hope they never go there again.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
As much as I would like to see NPCs in KH3, I'm keeping my hopes low. Lately I have started to think that the lack of NPCs isn't due to limited technology, but the developers not doing it intentionally. Looking back, the 3Ds could have handled quite a few NPCs given how large the worlds were but DDD was still empty

It is certainly not limited technology at all.
Best example is Final Fantasy XII with big cities like Rabanastre or the Imperial Capital of Archades. They're filled to the brim with NPCs wandering around and FFXII is a PS2-game.

In KH, it seems that it just isn't on their priority list at all to include characters outside the story important ones.
KH 1 is the only one to truly have unimportant NPCs that are not related to the story nor a shoutout.
Most of the NPCs in Twilight Town and Radiant Garden in KH 2 were actually shoutouts to more obscure side characters from Final Fantasy (like Biggs, Wedge, Jessie or Wantz).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back