• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Keyblade Hand-off Theory: Roxas' Keyblades

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key of Valor

The Professor
This is an old theory of mine that focuses on Roxas' Keyblades and how they might have played different roles throughout the story.

Thus far in KH'Days, we have only seen Roxas with one Keyblade and Xion with one Keyblade. When Roxas was captured though at Memory Skyscraper, he possessed both the Oathkeeper and the Oblivion.

Though Days has two nobodies each with their own Keyblade, by the beginning of KH2 there seems to be only one nobody with two Keyblades.

I do suspect that Xion's Keyblade later fell into Roxas' possession near the end of KH'Days. Xion and Roxas do seem to share a deep connection and I think it's possible that their existences are intertwined. Possibly, Xion's Keyblade could pass from herself to Roxas for whatever reason under whatever circumstances (and for those who believe that Xion got her Keyblade from Roxas, then Xion's Keyblade passing to Roxas could just be considered her returning that power)

Now, skipping ahead to KH2, Roxas possessed two Keyblades, which take form as the Oathkeeper and the Oblivion. The Oathkeeper is a symbol for Kairi and the Oblivion is a symbol for Riku. I think the one that might have previously been Xion's Kingdom Key is the one which take form as the Oathkeeper. Now when Roxas fought against Riku, there is that one part where Roxas tossed Riku the Oblivion. After the Heartless are cleared though, Roxas and Riku turn on each other and fight with the Keyblades. For whatever reason, the Oblivion does not return to Roxas, even though it is inconvenient for Roxas to allow Riku to use that Keyblade. Riku seems to be able to keep a hold on the Oblivion and this may just be for the reason that it's a symbol of Sora's of memories Riku.

Next, Roxas is captured by Riku and put in the virtual Twilight Town. Roxas gradually acquires Sora's memories, and regains the ability to wield a single Kingdom Key as Sora did. Then, the memory of Roxas' battle with Riku returns to him, and then he demonstrates his ability to summon two Keyblades against Axel, who responds in a surprised tone "Two!" potentially indicating this being the first time Axel witnessed Roxas dual wielding.

Later, Roxas merges with Sora, and much of the power Roxas held is transferred to Sora.

Next, there's the question of Riku's Keyblade, of where it came from and how he obtained it. The Soul Eater itself was said be part of a transformation that prodcued the Way to Dawn. Because of this, it appears Riku would have had to obtain his Keyblade sometime between his visit to the Land of Dragons and his combat with Saix at the Castle That Never Was.

Not long after Riku is first shown with his new Keyblade, he pulls out a second Keyblade and hands it to Kairi. Two Keyblades suddenly entering the story certainly raises a lot of questions such as 'where these Keyblades came from' and 'why are these Keyblades appearing in the story just now'.

Something interesting though, the first time Riku is shown with his Keyblade isn't until after the last time Roxas is shown with his Keyblades in his battle with Sora.

I think Roxas' battle with Sora might hold some importance. The recent demise of Roxas' friend, Axel, and the significance of Sora's location, influences the reappearance of Roxas at Memory Skyscraper and allows him to face Sora. Roxas and Sora battle each other at the Station of Awakening. It is there where Roxas is finally able to ask Sora the question that has continued to occupy his mind, "Tell me. Tell me why it choose you." In this scene, Roxas re-addresses the question of why he has the Keyblade and even why Sora has it as well. Not long into the fight, Roxas is floating above and as he looks down at Sora, the camera pans across the images of Riku and Kairi on the flooring beneath Sora. Then Roxas responds, "I see, that's why." But what did Roxas mean by this? It goes back to what Sora said in KH1, how he gets his power from his friends. Roxas might have come to the realization that Sora's heart is Keyblade qualified because of Sora's bond with his friends that make him strong.

After this fight, Roxas' Keyblades disappear and Roxas finally looks satisfied as he vanishes.

Now, theoretically, I think after that point, Roxas might assume the role of the Guardian. He might use his power to protect his friends, or rather Sora's friends. Lingering Sentiment seems establish the possibility that Terra chose who would wield the Kingdom Key. Perhaps Roxas could make such a choice as well, and choose Riku to receive his Keyblades. It certainly is a convenient situation, Roxas' Oathkeeper and Oblivion disappear and then Way to Dawn and *flowerpower appears.

The Soul Eater is said to have changed into the Way to Dawn, but maybe something more than just the Soul Eater was involved in that transformation. Perhaps Riku's acquisation of one of Roxas' Keyblades allowed the power and form from the Soul Eater to transfer into the Keyblade.

For those Kairi-haters, Riku might have just lent the power of one of Roxas' Keyblades to Kairi, and then later that power may have returned to Riku, who then would possess both of Roxas' Keyblades.

For those who believe KH-original female characters can potentially be more than useless, then perhaps Riku could have actually given Kairi one of Roxas' Keyblades to keep as her own. It might have been Roxas' intention for Kairi to receive a Keyblade. When Roxas learned that Sora got his power from his friends, then perhaps he wanted to give some power to those friends in return. One person might not need to have both of Roxas' Keyblades, especially if they were really divided between Roxas and Xion during KH'Days.

Muse

you look atrocious
Considering how Xion's Keyblade might not even be real but is rather something that has to do with Sora's memories influencing her and her appearance, I doubt that Roxas' second Keyblade is really Xion's. I'd sooner say that it has something to do with Ven than anything.

I don't think that Roxas gives Riku his Keyblades, or that Roxas is what causes the Soul Eater to evolve into the WtD.

I'm not even going to start on Kairi wielding. :/

Grey

I dunno...that's quite a lot of Keyblade-passing there.

While I agree that the sequence of events could indicate that Xion gave Roxas dual wielding, who then gave Sora dual-wielding, Roxas has no direct connection to Riku, other than the fact that they have battled and are both connected to Sora.

I find it hard to believe that Roxas and Xion played hot-potato with their Keyblades enough to give Roxas a second Keyblade (not to mention if Xion's Keyblade was originally Roxas's), Sora a second Keyblade, Riku a first AND second Keyblade, and then (possibly) Kairi a Keyblade. However, the ideas behind Xion's Keyblade abilities passing on to Roxas, and Roxas gaining Keyblade wielding abilities through his memories of Sora, are both fairly good ideas.

DarkRoxasNobody

Xion's keyblade isn't real, it's sort of like TAV's keyblades or the Heart Unlocker or the Digital KK Roxas used in simulated Twilight Town, we hardly know what they are made of but we do know they aren't true keyblades. Roxas having able to double-weild is probably some kind of ability that you sometime learn near the ending of the game around that point.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Araliya said:
I don't think that Roxas gives Riku his Keyblades, or that Roxas is what causes the Soul Eater to evolve into the WtD.

What do you believe then caused the Soul Eater to change in the Way to Dawn?

DarkRoxasNobody said:
Xion's keyblade isn't real, it's sort of like TAV's keyblades or the Heart Unlocker or the Digital KK Roxas used in simulated Twilight Town, we hardly know what they are made of but we do know they aren't true keyblades. Roxas having able to double-weild is probably some kind of ability that you sometime learn near the ending of the game around that point.

Xion's Keyblade may very well be real.

It's possible for it be fake, but there's no strong indication
of it not being a true Keyblade. I personally think Xion's
Keyblade is as real as Roxas' Keyblade he uses in Days.

Athomus

While I think the general idea is in the right direction, it just seems a bit to convoluted.

I'd like to see Xion as some sort of freak manifestation of Sora's memories, perhaps in correlation to Namine's actions at Castle Oblivion. However, even that statement is risky since I'm still not sure what exact time spans Days will encompass, outside of a general idea. Still, it could explain why she carries a "keyblade" and why Riku declares it a fake. Unfortunately, that leaves a few holes and is most likely not the answer.

The problem with somehow making Xion into the Oblivion, which I'd also would like to think is somehow true, is that if her Keyblade is fake - how can a fake then become real? What's the truth behind the "fake" anyway? And to kill my earlier theory, if she was Sora's memories, it makes little sense that she would join with Roxas as the Oblivion unless he regained all of Sora's memories... Something he didn't do until the beginning of KH2, which was clearly shown as Namine's handy work.

Another interesting thing is that Roxas seems to give Riku the Keyblade in order to have him help fight the heartless. Something the two do, and then fight right after. I'm curious as to how Roxas knew to give him the Keyblade... It's the early part of that scene that makes little sense to me.

Sa?x

The Luna Diviner
For those Kairi-haters, Riku might have just lent the power of one of Roxas' Keyblades to Kairi, and then later that power may have returned to Riku, who then would possess both of Roxas' Keyblades.

Actually, I believe the given explantation is that "Kairi's Keyblade" is actually part of WTtD, though I'm not a hundred percent on it.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Athomus said:
I'd like to see Xion as some sort of freak manifestation of Sora's memories, perhaps in correlation to Namine's actions at Castle Oblivion.

Xion existed before CoM though, so she likely isn't involved with what Namine did at Castle Oblivion.

Actually, I believe the given explantation is that "Kairi's Keyblade" is actually part of WTtD, though I'm not a hundred percent on it.

Actually, he didn't say that Kairi's Keyblade was part of the Way to Dawn.

Sa?x

The Luna Diviner

As I said, I'm not a hundred percent, but yes, I believe that was the explanation given. Your theory is just... dumb, I'm sorry to say. It's like people are handing of Keyblades like a trading card game. it doesn't make sense. Sans the part about Roxas and Xion, that kind of does.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Xenka said:
As I said, I'm not a hundred percent, but yes, I believe that was the explanation given. Your theory is just... dumb, I'm sorry to say. It's like people are handing of Keyblades like a trading card game. it doesn't make sense. Sans the part about Roxas and Xion, that kind of does.

Well I respect your opinion even though it's kind of negative about my theory...

I mean, what about at Hollow Bastion in KH1? The Keyblade went from Sora to
Riku and back to Sora... and then Riku got a new keyblade, and then Sora took
that keyblade as well... and then Sora destroyed that keyblade. And then on
some far off world, a Nobody appears and has his own Keyblade.

Would you call the events at Hollow Bastion dumb? I personally call it good plot, lol.

Besides, Xion doesn't look like she's around during KH2. Assuming her Keyblade
can outlive her own existence, what's going to happen to it? Why not let Roxas
take it? And then there is Roxas with his to Keyblades. Roxas merges with Sora
and now Roxas doesn't have a purpose to hold on to those Keyblades. Why not
pass it to Sora's friends?

And it's not like it's a whole lot of passing of the Keyblade all at once. In one
game, Xion could give Roxas her Keyblade, and in the next game, Roxas could
give his Keyblades to Riku. It's not so outrageous to think that this could happen.

Muse

you look atrocious
Xion existed before CoM though, so she likely isn't involved with what Namine did at Castle Oblivion.

To be petty, Xion existed before Vexen died. Vexen didn't die until well into CoM. So, Xion might not have existed until CoM rolled around.

That's bullshit. :/

However there is no particular explanation for the Soul Eater’s transfer and occurrence, as well as Riku’s handing it to Kairi.

It referring to the Soul Eater, thus Riku handed the Soul Eater to Kairi.

Then there's bittermeats translation, which says the same thing essentially, only the wording is slightly different.

Sacred X

Freshmeat
I came up with a similar theory (same basic idea) about half a year ago, and I generally agree with you on the basic idea that Xion is involved with Roxas weilding two keyblades. Whether this theory may or may not be true, I do believe Xion falls somewhere into the formula that allows Roxas to wield two keyblades.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Araliya said:
It referring to the Soul Eater.

Then there's bittermeats translation, which says the same thing essentially, only the wording is slightly different.

I have no doubt in that translation.
But you misunderstand.

'It' refers to the Soul Eater, as you said.

If Roxas gave Riku both his Keyblades, then why
should the Soul Eater power only be transferred to
one of those Keyblades? The Soul Eater's power
and composition was contributed to both Keyblades
but only the one Riku was currently using held a
form resembling the Soul Eater.

Thus, my theory does not contradict Another Report.

Muse

you look atrocious
I have no doubt in that translation.
But you misunderstand.

'It' refers to the Soul Eater, as you said.

If Roxas gave Riku both his Keyblades, then why
should the Soul Eater power only be transferred to
one of those Keyblades? The Soul Eater's power
and composition was contributed to both Keyblades
but only the one Riku was currently using held a
form resembling the Soul Eater.

Thus, my theory does not contradict Another Report.

Oh, but you do realize that both Riku and Nomura call the Way to Dawn the Soul Eater? And if Riku handed Kairi the Soul Eater, then that means he handed her a part of the Way to Dawn, which is the opposite of what you had said.

That, and one thing that I have yet to have mentioned before (and I don't know why) that you may have overlooked is that while a Keyblade Wielder may give someone permission to use their Keyblade, in the end the decision of who wields the Keyblade permanently is the Keyblade's choice. The Keyblade chooses who its master is. It doesn't matter if the one it chose says that so and so can use the Keyblade as their own; that Keyblade didn't choose them and thus they're not its master. The Keyblade will automatically go back to the one that it calls its master or it will find a new one.

SilentTrinity

Master of the ECKKK
if Xion exists after the events of CoM then maybe its namines way of putting her (Namine) into the organation by giving Xion Some of Sora's powers. the evidence here is when namine says she cant handle it. maybe she refers the transfer of keyblade power from Sora to Xion which means that maybe she was overtaken by Sora's power and gave her keyblade to Roxas for some reason. and that namine gave her memorys of having a keyblade thus Riku saying its fake.

Muse

you look atrocious
I'd sooner say Namine is referring to Sora's memories flowing out of Roxas and changing Xion's appearance. Who knows how else those memories are affecting her.

SilentTrinity

Master of the ECKKK
I'd sooner say Namine is referring to Sora's memories flowing out of Roxas and changing Xion's appearance. Who knows how else those memories are affecting her.

but if thats true why would it affect her?
does she even hav a connection to sora besides having a kk? plus what happens if she a new type of creature and that explains why she has a fake keyblade?

Key of Valor

The Professor
Araliya said:
Oh, but you do realize that both Riku and Nomura call the Way to Dawn the Soul Eater? And if Riku handed Kairi the Soul Eater, then that means he handed her a part of the Way to Dawn, which is the opposite of what you had said.

Does Riku call the Way to Dawn the Soul Eater? Yes he does,
because he had just recently received it and had not yet
gotten used calling it something else.

Does Nomura call the Way to Dawn the Soul Eater? No he doesn't,
because unike Riku, Nomura hasn't just recently become aware of
its existence.

And also, just because you want the 'Soul Eater' to mean 'Way to Dawn'
doesn't mean it does, because literally 'Soul Eater' means 'Soul Eater'.
So don't use the claim of 'Nomura meant something else' to try and
prove me wrong.

Araliya said:
That, and one thing that I have yet to have mentioned before (and I don't know why) that you may have overlooked is that while a Keyblade Wielder may give someone permission to use their Keyblade, in the end the decision of who wields the Keyblade permanently is the Keyblade's choice. The Keyblade chooses who its master is. It doesn't matter if the one it chose says that so and so can use the Keyblade as their own; that Keyblade didn't choose them and thus they're not its master. The Keyblade will automatically go back to the one that it calls its master or it will find a new one.

Your logic is a bit off.

First off, only Sora's Keyblade thus far has demonstrated the ability
to choose its master. Secondly, even if all Keyblades chose their masters,
what criteria do they base their choice off? Who has the strongest heart?
All the Keyblades would go to one individual if that were true. Perhaps the
Keyblades choice in wielder is influenced by th will of the previous wielders
of said Keyblades.

Besides, as I already mentioned but you failed to read, Lingering Sentiment
has already established the possibility of the ability for someone to choose
who becomes a wielder of a Keyblade.

SilentTrinity

Master of the ECKKK
Your logic is a bit off.

First off, only Sora's Keyblade thus far has demonstrated the ability
to choose its master. Secondly, even if all Keyblades chose their masters,
what criteria do they base their choice off? Who has the strongest heart?
All the Keyblades would go to one individual if that were true. Perhaps the
Keyblades choice in wielder is influenced by th will of the previous wielders
of said Keyblades.

well if wht u said is tru thn maybe Xion gave roxas the 2 keyblades

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I love how you use the same Keyblade to explain two separate Duel Wielded Keyblades :\ both Roxas and Riku got Xion's Keyblade? Poppycock. I could accept Xion's Keyblade returning to Roxas hence his Duel Wielding, but seeing how she most likely got it from him to begin with what with her not having one initially and the whole "my powers I received from Roxas are almost complete" issue, it's kind of redundant to say it's Xion's Keyblade.
And wtf? Roxas's intention to give Kairi a Keyblade? Nice going for unbased speculation there o.o
Oh and you're forgetting that while Riku and Kairi are fighting using those Keyblades, it's very much possible for Sora to Duel Wield while he's fighting his way to get to them. Where would those lovely Keyblades come from, hm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back