• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► Is Kingdom Hearts pulling a Digimon cosmology?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
In Digimon Tamers, Digimon Adventure is a tv show but in reality they are parallel universes which are connected through their Digital Worlds and the relationship between the later. So in Kingdom Hearts, there is a reality and an unreality, the unreality being represented as a video game in the reality but these two worlds are connected somehow. Its a cool concept and i like that the series goes deeper down the rabbit whole cause Digimon doesn't get much into the technical aspects.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Add in some 4th wall breaks and we got ourselves Deltarune
Interesting. I suppose the idea of parallel realities is similar. KH has regularly explored digital worlds, too--Roxas' parallel Twilight Town, the inside of the journal in Coded, Ansem's computer (Space Paranoids).

Forgive me if this might be a touch off-topic, but I couldn't help being struck to see a topic with this title appear right now. Just a few days ago, in the Keyblade thread, I had been thinking of how KH2's dilution of the Keyblade as a Chosen One exclusive weapon to everyone having one reminded me of the way Adventure 02 obliterated the rules of Adventure by giving everyone and their grandmother a Digimon.

And while already on the subject of Digimon parallels, as a child, Sora and Kairi always reminded me of Tai and Kari in Digimon Adventure both because of their designs (Sora's gloves and hair, a great deal of Kairi being like Kari) and Kairi's name being similar to Kari's on top of it. Sora's personality is entirely different though, less jerk than Taichi, but Kairi being a critical figure of light is very much in line with Kari (Kairi's Dream Eater even ends up being a cat, like Gatomon, lol). That may be part of the reason it's hard for me to see the two as love interests, since Kari was Tai's sister. Come to think of it, the adversarial relationship between Taichi and Yamato is similar to Sora and Riku in the first game as well, even though Riku looks little like Yamato.

Admittedly, I think these were / are things common to a lot of anime and anime-esque video games like Final Fantasy, but I couldn't help relating KH and Digimon to each other back then considering they were out around the same time as one another.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
In Digimon Tamers, Digimon Adventure is a tv show but in reality they are parallel universes which are connected through their Digital Worlds and the relationship between the later. So in Kingdom Hearts, there is a reality and an unreality, the unreality being represented as a video game in the reality but these two worlds are connected somehow. Its a cool concept and i like that the series goes deeper down the rabbit whole cause Digimon doesn't get much into the technical aspects.
FYI, Adventure being an in-universe show was an English dub addition that wasn't in Tamers originally.

Awards
as a child, Sora and Kairi always reminded me of Tai and Kari in Digimon Adventure both because of their designs (Sora's gloves and hair, a great deal of Kairi being like Kari) and Kairi's name being similar to Kari's on top of it.

Yep, one of the reasons KH grew into me was because the characters look familar. Also, Kari is Hikari which means light (funny thing, we actually have a name like that here in greece too) and Kairi is a princess of light. Sora and Riku follow the blue/red oni trope similar to Tai and Matt. Even notice how TK in 02 looks a bit like Roxas?

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Oh. But didnt Takato have an action figure of Agumon?
He did. And while it wasn’t stated outright that the Adventure anime was a thing in the Japanese version of Tamers, it was at least implied. With Digimon being an actual franchise within the series, it wouldn’t be a stretch if it was a thing.

2 quid is good

Awards
This ^, the dub just outright said it but the original sub highly implied it was the case, also I think there was confirmation in an interview or something but I'd have to look that up.
Its a cool concept and i like that the series goes deeper down the rabbit whole cause Digimon doesn't
Yeah cause Digimon actually has this thing called character arcs and development :V

On topic, it's actually a very interesting parallel that I hadn't considered, especially considering I've been on a Digimon kick recently (although I haven't gotten round to rewatching Tamers fully yet). I don't think I would enjoy Unreality just being a separate thing for the sake of it, otherwise what makes it different from visiting worlds? I haven't given a lot of thought onto the concept at all because worldlines and unreality annoyed me a lot but I'm considering it now and wouldn't it be better if it was similar to the Digital world? How actions in one impact the other and vice versa, that would definitely make me more interested into it.

Although I just don't think it would unfold similar to that if only because KH story these days is ever increasingly concerned with "forwarding the plot" and nothing else particularly, so I can see something more like constantly having to hop worldlines to progress the plot and less actually exploring the concept.

Back