• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is it okay for Christians to read only commentarys and not the Bible?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus-Boy727

This is a question I got from one of my freinds, and I want to know what other people think. Is it okay for Christians to read the commentarys and not the Bible? I think probably no, but I wondered if anyone else thought otherwise.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I would say reading the Bible is very important for Christians. Otherwise they are just taking someone's word for it rather than seeing it for their own self. That and God does instruct His followers to read the scriptures.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Reading the Bible is very important. Granted, commentaries can be very helpful (I particularly like the MacArthur Study Bibles), but you need to read what the Bible to know what it actually says.

Marcus-Boy727

Yeah, Lazy people. except most of the comentaries are like three times bigger then the actual Bible. I don't know why anyone would like to read just the commentarys but he deos it.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Mine is to, but my dad majored in theology so we have a lot of biblical commentarys and related books.

It's good to have Bible study aids because for sure we aren't going to understand everything right off the bat. So in order to study the Bible we may need the assistance of commentaries and other Bible study helpers. But nothing can in effect replace reading it for yourself. I think the first step is to read it and then to gain deeper knowledge then you can use material provided by people who may have expertise in areas we do not, such as the original language of the scriptures and the meanings of each words for example.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Its not wise. But if you are Catholic or any other faith that TELLS you what the bible means, then I don't think it really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back