• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How Long Would it Take to Make Worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome Psycho

Now with Kingdom Hearts 3 having the ability to create larger worlds with its new technology on Next-Gen consoles, how long do you guys think it'd take to make worlds, whether it'd be returning or new worlds, I want to know what you guys think. I'll also list some things that the developers may use to the process of developing worlds. Please, if needed add any other jobs that they might need to use for developing worlds and put an time frame on how long it might take.

- Concept Art portray what the world may look like
- 3D World Modeling
- Character Models
- Textures
- Cutscenes/Dialogue
- Enemy Spawns
- Scenarios
- Field Music/Battle Music
- Sound
- Lighting
- Kingdom Shader

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Kind of hard to answer since we don't know how long it took to make world before the change in technology. Now, maybe two or three weeks per world?

Kaneki

Now with Kingdom Hearts 3 having the ability to create larger worlds with its new technology on Next-Gen consoles, how long do you guys think it'd take to make worlds, whether it'd be returning or new worlds, I want to know what you guys think. I'll also list some things that the developers may use to the process of developing worlds. Please, if needed add any other jobs that they might need to use for developing worlds and put an time frame on how long it might take.

- Concept Art portray what the world may look like
- 3D World Modeling
- Character Models
- Textures
- Cutscenes/Dialogue
- Enemy Spawns
- Scenarios
- Field Music/Battle Music
- Sound
- Lighting
- Kingdom Shader
All depends on the amount of staff they have working on it , meaning the exact amount of staff. For a game like KH and the way they're trying to do it I think it wouldn't take them long to get the 3D worlds mapped out and modeled , a year at most. Unwrapping the models and texturing them maybe a bit longer, I'm pretty sure they already have most the main cast Pre-modelled and rigged for movement (they're probably gonna tweak them later on of course) Texturing falls under unwrapping time, unwrapping complex models can take a while and is mainly a trial and error.

Cutscenes/dialouge is hard to say, we don't know how long this game will be , how long you'll be spending in each world but they probably have the general idea already down on a script.

Music dunno in all honesty, I mainly just now about the 3D modelling side of things because that's what I'm studying at university for games development but I don't know how they'd be working music, I mean they probably have composed a few already but they might be waiting for the game to come near to completion and try to fit composing songs into a scene. I have faith in Yoko to deliver us amazing OSTs like always.

sound applies above, they probably have their sounds ready though.

In all honesty no idea what kingdom shader is

More on 3D World modelling; this will probably be the thing that'll take longest towards the end though, getting the initial meshes finished for each area will be easy enough I could probably model out a game area with the level of detail in the KH3 trailer pretty easily by myself, would take me probably 2 weeks to a single Area though if I'm motivated enough. But then there comes to looking at the wire frame , looking for Ngon's within the mesh and trying to optimize buildings/objects etc to save on polygons, looking for Ngons within a wire framed mesh can become grueling as well but this is looking at it from a prespective of raw 3d modelling within 3ds max, squares development team probably have a tweaked program that has tools that make the job a lot easier for them so they can save time on modelling the initial meshes and use more time to optimize and tweak their models so they'll look high quality as possible without using up a lot of processing power.

Then there will be texturing , No Idea how square would go about this process , I've been taught multiple ways to texture 3d models but it all comes down to how fast you can unwrap the model cleanly and then paint the texture for it (if you need to) Maybe square have a different set of people for making their textures who knows?

There will also be programming A.I's for enemy's allies NPC's and etc

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There is no true way to even estimate this because it is probably all done throughout the development cycle. They don't finish one world and move on to the next. They probably have a bunch of people modeling and texturing and so on and so forth for multiple worlds at the same time and edit things constantly until it is all done.

Not to mention some of the game is being outsourced, so some of that work that gets sent over has to be reviewed and fixed or request changes and...

AAA game development is hardly a linear process these days. You work with what you can get done.

There is order within the chaos, but some things aren't going to come together until it gets closer to release.

Kaneki

There is no true way to even estimate this because it is probably all done throughout the development cycle. They don't finish one world and move on to the next. They probably have a bunch of people modeling and texturing and so on and so forth for multiple worlds at the same time and edit things constantly until it is all done.
Yeah, I mean it might take longer than our estimate even depending on if their happy with it, I just hope they don't rush it. MGSTPP made me realize why you shouldn't want a anticipated game released before the developers are happy with it. That being said let's hope that KH3 doesn't become a FFXV wait time I'm in no rush for it at all honestly.

Also a lot of the programming will coincide with worlds too depending on if they want leisure things like the ball in twilight town , skateboard etc implementing them will add to world development I guess?

In all honesty with square enix I wouldn't really bother to gauge how long it'd take to develop each world, even when it's close to release date I think they'll still be tweaking at it here and there trying to optimize it to run on consoles smoothly.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm pretty sure there's a character list, something that lists every single character found in KH - from Sora to One-Line-of-Dialogue NPCs. Then a team probably works on creating those models, while another team works on the level design and art for the worlds.

I kind of wish DISNEY would do a documentary on the making of KH3 to be packaged with the game's release.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm pretty sure there's a character list, something that lists every single character found in KH - from Sora to One-Line-of-Dialogue NPCs. Then a team probably works on creating those models, while another team works on the level design and art for the worlds.

I kind of wish DISNEY would do a documentary on the making of KH3 to be packaged with the game's release.

I second the documentary. Heck, throw in the making of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 so we can get some information about the past games.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yea, a documentary would be nice, but I don't really think it's likely, tbh.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I second the documentary. Heck, throw in the making of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 so we can get some information about the past games.

But we have a making of KH1 already and a lot of interview documentation of the newer games by the dev staff. You can't exactly do a making of 1.5 and 2.5 without footage of making those games, anyways.

Awesome Psycho

Well then, I guess this thread was kind of stupid. I get I'll resort to making posts rather than everyone reacting to my stupidity. But it does make sense when the developers may take on the challenge of making multiple worlds with a set number of teams working on each of them.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well then, I guess this thread was kind of stupid. I get I'll resort to making posts rather than everyone reacting to my stupidity.

I'm...confused. Nobody said your thread was stupid or that you were stupid. Nobody really expects anybody to know how a dev cycle works unless you are a dev or have looked this up, and even then every company has a different process.

Awesome Psycho

No, I know nobody thinks this thread is stupid, but I think it is because of how I poorly assumed how the devs make each unique world. I was only trying to site out on when the game might come out in the rime stance of how long it might take to make each world.

Kaneki

No, I know nobody thinks this thread is stupid, but I think it is because of how I poorly assumed how the devs make each unique world. I was only trying to site out on when the game might come out in the rime stance of how long it might take to make each world.

No ones calling you stupid for that, but thing is we can't really pinpoint it, we need to know the amount of staff they have working 3d modelling then need to categorize that down to who'se working on world Mesh's and texturing.

They could make it the way you're thinking it's not like we know any better about square's development process but it sounds more practical to have all the worlds under construction at the same time with a number of people developing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back