• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma [Season 3]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oh, and this cake looked pretty damn good:
FoodWars.jpg

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
As much as I like cake, I'm just not feeling it for baked goods. I still prefer the previous dishes we've seen in previous chapters over cake. And trust me, I'm not a cake snob because I can tell that cake does look scrumptious enough to eat. No matter how many times I reread the previous chapter with the second years showing up, it still makes me want to have a throw down. I mean seriously, I thought Eizan was bad until we met the second year students. So I'm hoping in this new chapter with Kurokiba finally showing up with Alice, he makes a good throw down with his threat of beating Rentarou black and blue. Go kick his ass! Whoo! The funny thing about this is how confusing it must be for everyone else, because you'd think cooking would be harmless, but it's not... I hope when the judges taste their food there's another epic battle between Kurokiba and Rentarou, similar to Hiyama and Yukihira from chapters oh so long ago! I would say more but, I think I'm just really excited for the next chapters to come! :D

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
This newest chapter was an epic turnaround! ...in my opinion!!!

Food Wars sometimes does this thing where it leaves me on the fence on where the current story arc is going, but then will pull the rug out from under me and everything is awesome. Last time this happened was during the school festival where Soma took on the 8th Seat, Kuga, in that sales competition.

This time I was very pleased with how things are actually turning out. With the previous chapter I was confused as to why Soma and Aldini would pick a fight with that loud-mouth 2nd year when there's nothing for them to gain from interfering in other club's shokugeki matches, but boy did that change here. It was actually cleverly telegraphed in a way last time, because Soma was wondering what society they knew would have to throw down in a match they went to: Nikumi's Bowl Society, Hayama's Spice Society, or even Kuga's Chinese Food Society? Well, turns out it was actually freaking Alice and Kurokiba!

This was an awesome twist because you'd never figure either of them to be in a school club, but it actually works with what we learned of Alice when she was first introduced. We had that flashback when she won a shokugeki in middle school to take all of the food research society's equipment and took their room from them. She never realized she became the dang captain of the club when she won because she just kicked everyone else out! I love it. Lol.

This works for me for a number of reasons: 1) There's no way Central will let Alice continue on with her own research because it won't line up with their cooking views, 2) Alice wants to stop Azami too and help her cousin Erina, and 3) having these two take on the new grunts of Central will help with measuring the enemy's abilities. As much as I love Kurokiba and how overly intense he is, wanting to beat the guy black and blue with his cooking, it'd greatly devalue the new antagonists if they get beat right when they're introduced. So I figure Kurokiba will lose (but it'll be a close match) which will show how good the 2nd years are and that they're a legitimate threat to get through when trying to topple Central.

And since we got this twist in Alice and Kurokiba having to fight Central, I'm still all-in for the other twist that Hayama will in fact join Central to further his own cooking himself by trying to integrate it into Central by joining the Council of Ten if he gets picked to join.

Oh yeah, and I feel like that loud-mouth 2nd year is kinda overly designed: Eyebrow piercing, the way his hair is, an earing chain with an inverted cross hanging from it, and a face tattoo. Like... pull back a bit there guy. You're about two or three steps overboard there.

So yeah, I'm freaking PUMPED right now, and just one chapter ago I was on the fence about things. Love this manga.

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
And now we're back to an actual Shokugeki! Getting some good, juicy plot progression is nice, but after a while I miss a good ol' food battle. Definitely makes it that much better when Kurokiba is the one participating in the match. I want to see him get super intense and end the match by smashing Rentaro's stuff. Lol. It was also pretty amusing seeing Momo get annoyed and angry with everyone trying to talk or be near her.

This match could honestly go either way for me, although I still lean towards Rentaro winning. The fight itself doesn't have huge stakes to it, so either of them has a chance of getting the win. If Kurokiba wins then it's a first step in taking on the Central Organization and making him look really good for his first big match after the Fall Classic. If Rentaro wins then it's a first step in showing just how good the soldiers of Central really are and building them up to be legitimate threats for the main protagonists. Plus, Alice would have just let her club disband anyway, but Kurokiba had to go pick a fight because he was called a scrub. Lol. So not the worst thing that could happen.

Was quite surprising when Rentaro pulled out all that food science equipment like what Alice uses. If he wins then maybe he'd make a good opponent for Alice one day to overcome? Otherwise Kurokiba has faced Alice and her food machines and beat her so often that he could have enough knowledge of them to be able to overcome them with his cooking.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Well this Shokugeki sure is..... "heating up," wouldn't you say? Ha, obvious-bad pun is obviously bad.

Pretty interesting chapter this week, getting Rentaro's specialty. Instead of him specializing in just a particular food/ingredient, he specializes in a cooking process and wants to use that specific process to conquer all kinds of foods. So his way of doing things is kinda like Alice with her cutting edge food equipment, but more specialized.

Gotta admit, I've never had salmon before, but Rentaro's rectangle of salmon wrapped in bacon with that other sauce/glaze stuff on the plate looked pretty dang good. Kurokiba's gonna have a tough dish to follow up against!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Knock, knock.
Who's There?
Lettuce.
Lettuce who?
Lettuce out of here! Get it? xD *wanted to make a silly pun*

Anyways, it's quite accurate about things heating up. I've had salmon in sushi and it's one of my favorite types of fish to eat. So the dish Rentaro made looks good enough to eat, especially with the bacon wrapped around it. If I could, I'd love to cook it or try a sample of it. Furthermore, I still think there's a slight chance Kurokiba could make a run on the money with whatever dish he ends up making. I'd like to see if maybe there's a chance of him tying with Rentaro instead of losing to him, because c'mon, Kurokiba is awesome, and even if he's not up to par as Rentaro is in skill, I imagine someday Kurokiba will surpass him. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the competition we're getting, and I hope we see Hiyama soon. It's still a bit strange for me to see Yukihira not in the middle of the food competition too. I guess after Eizan he deserves a break. lol.

EDIT: http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Lat...nd-Season-Gets-Title-Summer-Release-7502.aspx

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Not a whole lot new in that trailer besides showing off most of the Fall Classic participants for the most part, and little snippets of their previous and upcoming matches.

Still, those matches were really dang awesome and I can't wait to see how they look animated. Those over the top moments are going to be so freaking cool! *u* Particularly Megumi and Kurokiba's match.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
FoodWars.jpg

So, I've never eaten salmon before in my life, but dang it, I'd eat Rentaro's salmon rectangle wrapped in bacon-thing. (Not 100% on the salmon ice cream though. Some things are too much! Lol.)

Just going by this chapter I think Rentaro is the more clear-cut winner from a narrative standpoint. We've had three or four chapters of build up for him, revealing his cooking-specialty, and a much greater focus on his dish. Kurokiba had a rather quick glance-over of his dish and it didn't have that hook that Rentaro's did. Some of the judges thought the dishes were even, but the ending of the chapter, I think, is setting up a big win for Rentaro. Considering that the stakes for this match aren't that high, I'm pretty sure it'll be Rentaro's win, and thus he'll be elevated to a much bigger role as a series antagonist for the main characters to overcome. Or maybe even a future challenge for Alice?

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
If Rentaro does become a challenge for Alice, do you think it'll be for his seat on the Council? You do got a point about the stakes not being all that high. I do happen to wonder how Alice will feel about it, if Kurokiba loses in this shokugeki. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time, considering Kurokiba lost to Hiyama awhile ago. I just know that she seemed intent on him winning this match... however it seems like he is outclassed by Rentaro. Ah, the suspense is truly killing me, because I don't want to believe Alice would get overly upset about it, but it's like what if something else comes of it?

Otherwise, I'd actually try a little bite of the salmon ice cream. I think it looks scrumptious in all honesty and would love to eat it right now.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Really dragged my heels on talking about volume ten, especially since it came out in early February. But then I saw volume 11 on pre-order on Amazon and figured I should get my butt in gear.

Volume 10 of Food Wars is constructed pretty similarly to volume 9: We start the volume with the end of one quarter-final match in the Fall Classic, then get another full quarter-final match, and end with preparations for next volume's semi-final match.

The full match between Aldini and the recently introduced Subaru is definitely the highlight of the volume. Dear. God. Subaru is drawn to be the ultimate creepy stalker and Saeki-sensei could draw the heck out of a horror manga. All the little traits that go against his stalker persona does make Subaru a very amusing character though, so I like him a lot.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
FoodWars.jpg

^Well Rentaro, for a minute there I was liable to believe you too, but apparently this Shokugeki likes yanking my expectations around!

In my defense though, this match was leaning pretty dang heavily on Rentaro for all the focus he got during it. Pretty much Kurokiba's victory from what the judges have said. Gonna have to be one heck of an explanation/reveal chapter to show how he got the win after all the time devoted to saying how unique Rentaro's dish was. AND I want a two-page-spread showing Kurokiba beating the snot out of Rentaro too! Lol.

Like I said before, this wasn't a match with huge consequences for either side, so both had their points for winning; but Kurokiba gets more out of winning and showing how much he's progressed since his Fall Classic loss then to lose and not rise to the challenge. It's probably more important to show him as a tougher rival for Soma than it is to build up the Central goons.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Missed talking about last week's chapter. It was really dang good! Alice is really turning into one of the best characters in the whole series. It was cool seeing her give the business to Azami and tell him off for all sh*t he did to Erina. Hopefully the two of them can grow closer now and have a better friendly/family relationship.

As for this week's chapter, well... those societies still lost those shokugeki...
Foodwars.jpg

You can use those buildings for other things, Azami! Don't tear them down, freaking repurpose them! Lol. Also, freaking crucifying a student for still holding club meetings? How the hell are you NOT going to be sued for that? Now the biggest changes to Tootsuki is the removal of creative cooking classes. It's all structured with no students being able to come up with their own dish ideas now.

Biggest surprise was definitely the First Seat, Tsukasa, coming in to sub for Soma's class. It was pretty cool seeing Soma actually be able to impress Tsukasa with his skills, helping out as the sous-chef for the class. (That week at Shino's really paid off), but he realized too late he got swept up in helping a Central cooking class when he opposes them.

Even bigger than that is the fact that Tsukasa wants Soma to be his right hand man! This is pretty big for a couple of reasons: Firstly, the best chef in the school acknowledged Soma's skills and wants Soma to work for him, and second, Tsukasa never wants anyone to prepare his dishes but himself. That's quite something to say he'd want Soma working with him. There's no way Soma would want to join Central though, or work for someone else. So it'll be quite something to see where this leads.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Okay, it's ketchup time again! Wait... I mean catch-up! ...ketchup would actually be pretty good with fries right now... or as a glaze on some meatloaf... Uh... FOOD WARS!

FoodWars.jpg

As far as last week's chapter goes, it was amusing how Tsukasa pretty much told Soma he wanted him for his body and not his mind. Lol, not really, but essentially that's it. No need for Soma's pedestrian cooking/menu items, but his skills could be quite valuable for Tsukasa if Soma were to become his sous-chef. It's actually pretty neat getting to know Tsukasa more and figure out what his motivations are.

FoodWars.jpg

THIS week's chapter, now, is where things got really interesting. I guess you could figure that Azami wouldn't just be content to just control Tootsuki with his brand of cooking, but ALL OF JAPAN?! There's a lot of logistics that'd have to go in to make that kind of national-level change. With enough time though I'm sure Azami could do it. He's got the influence of the Nakiri name, the wealth and business relationships he's built up over the years he was in America, and he's training whole generations of young chefs to cook the way he wants that will eventually take over the cooking industries of japan. Even those that resisted could eventually be bought-out, or even forced out with enough pressure and shady dealings that I bet Central could pull off.

As for Soma's and Tsukasa's actual match: I really just want to take all of those images of Tsukasa being so nice and friendly with the deer, looking so serene under the tree and beckoning one over and hugging it... and then cut to that image of him holding that huge back rack of venison! Holy Deer! Venison is quite the interesting choice for a shokugeki, and doing it french-style too. Hopefully Soma's training under Shino will give him something good to go up against the First Seat.

Gotta say though, I'd find it hard to believe Soma would be able to unseat Tsukasa at this point, even after his training. It would actually be kinda cool to see Soma have to adapt to being Tsukasa's right hand man, and maybe try to undo Central from the inside. Having someone actually be able to shackle Soma could lead to some interesting changes in dynamics, especially if Soma can't go around doing as he pleases like he's been doing regularly in the series.

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
FoodWars.jpg

New chapter! The only real surprise of this chapter for me was that Soma somehow got his meal done before Tsukasa, despite starting after him and all talking the two did last time before he started too. I guess Tsukasa cooking with that big back-rack of deer takes a while? Normally the person presenting their food second wins most of the time in this series, so my expectations for Soma winning aren't getting any higher here. Other than that we did see a bit more how Tsukasa and Soma's cooking ideologies are polar opposites: Soma thriving on innovation and creativity in the spur of the moment, while Tsukasa sticks with finding that one perfect method for each thing he cooks.

I should probably get to giving my thoughts on volume 11 of Food Wars soon. It was a really good volume and probably should do that before volume 12 comes out in... June. Well, that's plenty of time to procrastinate on that!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The latest chapter really shows the amount of confidence Yukihira has in his cooking skills. The more I think about it the more I'd like Yukihira to win. I still feel like it's too soon for him, because he's got a whole lot more room to grow as a chef. And there's the thought of Kurokiba winning against a central member for the team, so maybe this will be in reverse as a loss against central. However, it'd be awesome if it ended up in some kind of crazy twist of a tie with Tsukasa. I suppose right now it's a good time as any to show off what he learned from Shino. We already knew Yukihira learned how to cook hamburgers in french style, so seeing his new dish gives me high hopes that it's up to par against Tsukasa's dish, we've yet to see. I don't personally like venison, except I'd be willing to try it.

The one thing that really struck out to me is that this is an entirely a new dish Yukihira thought up on the spot. Therefore, I have this thought of him not even knowing what his own dish would taste like, because doing taste tests is one thing, except it's a whole new thing, when you're giving it to someone to eat for the first time without even knowing if the dish works together or not. I suppose that's a current running theme in this manga, other then the occasional taste testers whenever Yukihira did something new. I'm not sure why this occurred to me now, but I hope it results in clothes being ripped apart or a hilarious gag, or perhaps something more unique to Yukihira himself.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Okay, been a while since anything has been posted about Food Wars. Figure I'll finally stop dragging my heels and get to volume 11. Seeing as how the second season of the anime should cover what happens in this volume, I'll spoiler the cover too. Even though the match-up it shows from the tournament shouldn't really shock anyone, even if you just follow the anime, I'll do it anyway to be careful.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

And... that's it! I probably won't procrastinate too much when volume 12 comes along next time. I could write a couple paragraphs just on that volume's cover alone! Lol.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
0516_IssueReview_2.jpg

Oh deer! I just realized I've missed out on making horrible deer puns for this entire Shokugeki! I was too busy fawning over Soma and Tsukasa's deer-lectable dishes! Ba dum tsh~

Finally, we have a winner! It wasn't too surprising that Tsukasa would win the match, or that Soma would somehow still get out of being his sous-chef and working for Central. Admittedly I'm a little disappointed that Soma didn't get taken and try to overthrow Central from the inside, but that's pretty much exactly what Tsukasa aimed to avoid by letting him off the hook. I guess even the 1st Seat has his limits on how much "innovation" he can handle from Soma. Lol.

With that mattered settled it's kind of interesting seeing where the series is focusing on now. Not just Soma, but all the the first years he knows is getting more focus on just how good their cooking skills are. The previous dean, Senzaemon, had noted that Soma's generation would be a "Diamond Generation" of chefs, and Central is starting to take notice of this more and more as the first years in particular oppose their plans. It'll be interesting to see how Azami plans to deal with these upstarts that oppose him now.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
FoodWars.jpg

I'm not quite sold on the direction of this arc yet. From the setup it seems similar to when Soma had to have a shokugeki against the 9th Seat to save the dorm. This time it's advancement exams that'll get them to be second years, and the Polar Star kids are afraid at some kind of rigged-judging (again) that will ultimately get them booted from school.

In my head it'd seem like a simple fix: just play along and cook what they want you to for the one exam and live to cook another day, and make another attempt to stop Central in the future. I suppose they ultimately don't want to bend to Central's will though, and fight against them in any way they can. Food Wars has more than once usurped my expectations though, so hopefully something big will happen in the future. Right now I'm more interested in what Erina might be up to.

Oh, and I did think that the one image of Chappelle freaking out over thinking about Azami's face over and over was funny. Worst thing to think about when trying to enjoy a meal. Lol. Ultimately that is what the main characters are trying to do though, prevent everyone from having the same cookie-cutter foods that just make you think of Azami.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The amount of development we've gotten for this arc has been fabulous.

Especially with the amount of screen time and development to Erina's character. We've gotten up close and personal with her semi terrible childhood of eating dish after dish instead of doing something she'd personal want to do. How cooking isn't her actual dream at all. I kind of felt like my heart broke in two for her because, going along with someone else's dream wouldn't be exciting at all. Including all of the terrible things her father put her through at an early age. I feel like I'm a little sympathetic to Azami because, he knows how underrated a lot of chefs are out there. Except for those who could match him. And maybe in the grand scheme of things, he cares about what Erina eats? Plus she felt bad about the thought of Yukihira not winning against Tsukasa. (I'm not sure if it's friendship or the budding feelings of romance starting to take root. It could probably swing either way at this point.) Overall, it feels like this is the year of Erina like it is for Sanji in One Piece.

I'm still surprised at how much Joichiro and the Dean planned this ahead. Admittedly, the reluctance of not wanting to involve Yukihira touched my heart. I wonder if it has to do with not wanting Yukihira's dream being crushed because of the amount of competition out there? Or if letting his kid do all the fighting for him bothered Joichiro? Atop of that, the fact he didn't even want to send Yukihira to the academy either. But hey, it did make him into a better chef!

I know this arc has been escalating in all sorts of directions without a clear direction of where all of this is going. However, it fits rather well for Erina, wouldn't you agree? I know we joked years back it didn't seem like she'd be the special girl Yukihira cooks for. But it feels like it's becoming the appropriate time for it. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it were Megumi or someone else he'd end up with. And I'd still be perfectly alright with it. I just can't help to like the amount of closeness between the two as of recently though.

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
FoodWars.jpg

This past month has really been some of the best development that Erina has gotten. Actually ever since she started crashing at Polaris it's been pretty good. Taking this month to actually have Soma and Erina sit down and actually have a conversation, and not just argue or quip back and forth with each other has given a lot more development for Erina and solidify more of Soma's own unique cooking theories.

It was kind of unexpected that Erina would actually admit (although not out loud) that she liked Soma's cooking, scarfing down his dish and finally figuring out the kind of chef she wants to be/food she wants too make. I figured Soma's quest to make her admit she liked his food would last until near the end of the series, but doing this now is okay, since it better serves advancing Erina. Plus the main plot of the series is for Soma to rise to the top of Tootsuki, and to stop Azami's plans on top of that. So there's still plenty to do in the story, and having Erina take a more focused, central role in everything is really good. I'd like to see her just become a full-fledged member of Polaris, have her adjust to regular people dorm life, and be more active in opposing her dad now.

Also, Soma's made yet another unique dish that I'd like to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back