• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Mix as DLC?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterKaze

Awards
To date, every Kingdom Hearts game that was originally released on a Play Station console has had a Final Mix version, so it stands to reason that Kingdom Hearts 3 will be the same.

In the past, a Final Mix had to be on a new disc - an entirely new game. Because of this physical step, Final Mix versions were region locked to Japan. However, we are now in the age of DLC. DLC can help break down this physical barrier preventing the rest of the world from getting the bonus content. Not only would it be easier for the new media be sent for localization today, but so would releasing it. By making the Final Mix version available through an in game purchase, it would make it much easier for fans to gain access to this content.

Would you be against Square Enix making the Final Mix for KH3 a downloadable add-on?

SilenceTheTardis

I'm all for it. The trick is going to be finding the right balance between content and price.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I would hope so if they had one. They could just do what many fighting games do and have a physical and digital release.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
I think there was some sort of problem with releasing the final mix's outside of japan prior to the remixes

Personally I want KH3 to just be the full package in one go, I don't wanna have to miss out again

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think there was some sort of problem with releasing the final mix's outside of japan prior to the remixes

No there wasn't, at least not what you were thinking. The problem was that they probably didn't see any positive cost-benefits of rereleasing the games. There might have been some legal issues, but it all probably came down to them figuring they wouldn't make that big of a return and would spend too much money.

It wasn't until the advent of DLC that it became feasible to release this kind of content without the need to release a new version.

Last edited:

Javelin434

Awards
Personally I want KH3 to just be the full package in one go, I don't wanna have to miss out again
This. I find it stupid to release a game then having to pay extra for what should have been included in the first place. If I want half a game then pay for the other half, I'll just go buy Battlefield or the latest CoD...

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
This. I find it stupid to release a game then having to pay extra for what should have been included in the first place. If I want half a game then pay for the other half, I'll just go buy Battlefield or the latest CoD...

While I'm sure nearly everyone agrees with you guys (I sure do) I feel like it's a stupid assumption to hope that DLC won't be a part of KH now. DLC is such a huge part of video games now and sure some companies do it terribly (I'm staring straight at Capcom's on-disc DLC) but some other companies actually do it to postpone the life of their game, and yes, make a profit at the same time. FFXIII has been well on board with DLC and I don't expect any less from KH3. Do I want DLC in the end? Not really, I'd rather have it all on disc, but when DLC is inevitable, I might as well just except the fact that it's going to happen and no amount of voices or petitions is going to change that.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I don't know. I think I'm kind of on the fence for this one. I agree with kupo in that nowadays companies tend to go down the DLC route to extend the lifespan of their franchises, but at the same time I understand Javelin's concern that paying extra just to unlock something in the game leaves a rather bitter aftertaste.

This might be a poor comparison, but take a look at Plants vs Zombies 2. I figured that something was up when seeing that it's free, and guess what? You have to pay to unlock all those cool plants like Squash and Jalapeño. The prices of those plants combined exceed the price of the iOS version of the first game, where you paid a certain amount of money for the game and got everything for that.

If KH3 resorts to this kind of paid-little-things DLC, like Coliseum matches or extra scenes, I'm not sure I would like that. If, however, the DLC comprises a whole new chapter like how Left Behind is for The Last of Us, I think I'm willing to let it slide, although they had better be wise not to release that chapter anytime soon after the release of the main game itself.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
KH has had a history of time constraints, which is part of the reason the FMs exist, so while I don't care for the idea of DLC either it may not be a bad idea implement. KH2 in particular suffered from time constraints which is partly the reason why it wasn't as good as it could've been and why KH2FM is the most beefed up FM to date. The ideas for KH2 were so ambitious that, from what I recall, the original plans for it entailed it to be on two discs, but even with the FM that obviously didn't happen. KH3 is being worked on "as quickly as possible" so DLC may be a good thing if they run into the same trouble they did with KH2 and if they handle it right. On the bright side of things, not all DLC has to be paid for so if KH does resort to that perhaps they'll throw some freebies our way.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I wouldn't mind it so long as it means we actually GET final mixes this time. (instead of having to wait a decade for collections to get them)

Aws

Awards
Although I'd like this to Happen, I also won't cause, SOME regions in the world don't have access to PSN Store/Xbox Live Marketplace to actually BUY the DLC, which is EXACTLY whats happening to ME, I live in Syria and we don't even HAVE a PSN region, I'd rather have Final Mix be a disc based game that is released everywhere instead of DLC, and I think that WE WILL get the final mixes this time, and since we've been waiting for KH3 a long time, They might not make Final Mixes and instead include all of the extra features that would usually go into the Final mixes into the NORMAL game.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I don't want a Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix.

I want it to be complete upon release. This is the ending; I want it to feel like one.

Light

faster than
Awards

I want it to be complete upon release. This is the ending; I want it to feel like one.

Wow, man. That's pretty deep... and I can't help but agree. I have the same worry as Gram, that if there were a final mix, then I would have to miss out on it, or the full experience. It would be much tidier to just make the final version and be done with it.

Also, my internet is bloody bad, so I'd rather not.

XIII RoXaS XIII

Awards
DLC? Yes please! Getting DLC announced is like waiting for any other KH game. For a someone such as myself that will get 100% trophies, having new content will make it more fresh, though hopefully its a new story arc or something of some significance. Something such as skins are cool but for me brighter isn't better. All for new content. Especially considering that a forum like this that thrives off the anticipation and speculation of these games before they are released. I can kinda experience more of a mini-hype once again before the new saga rolls in

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Same here.
I wouldn't mind if they did something like cheap DLC packs that contain items, Keyblades, Coliseum matches, et cetera, though.

Shasta

Awards
DLC would be nice if they know how and what to present. Paying for otherwise NPC's (More than likely, the entire main cast outside of Sora, Riku, and Kairi) would be very nice. I'd be excited to play as all the characters that were unplayable, or limited at some point in time.

Also...outfits! I would pay for outfits. I did with XIII-2, I deem Bikini-Serah, my greatest DLC purchase to date. Such sexiness.

A third, which I didn't really take into consideration and would best fit in with what I said in the top part of this post. Story related DLC based on a character. Some/all main characters could have a little chapter that tells their story before the start of KH III, highly unlikely, but still. There are things that we as the player don't already know, be it relevant to the plot or not.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I really hope that what they did with FFXIII-2 will not happen here where the "true ending" was a purchasable DLC story pack (which I still have yet to buy) and I'm sure they won't, but that doesn't necessariyl mean they won't add something about the next saga and have KH3 still feel complete since it should all end with MX here. Costumes, keyblades, etc. are inevitable in my eyes but I don't see those as necessary to feel "complete."

DLC would be nice if they know how and what to present. Paying for otherwise NPC's (More than likely, the entire main cast outside of Sora, Riku, and Kairi) would be very nice. I'd be excited to play as all the characters that were unplayable, or limited at some point in time.

While I know it's not the perfect example, FFXIII-2 provided costumes, equipment, coliseum battles, and story parts. I'm sure KH will see some costumes, equipment, and coliseum battles (the potential to take from FF, KH, and Disney's history here for battles makes it almost a dumb move if they didn't do this) within either OC or Mirage Arena make sense. The main thing to think about is story parts which I feel like most are divided on.

Given KH's extremely small time constraints, I'm more in favor of it. I understand that KH3 will be rushed "to an extent" and I know that this will mean Nomura cannot put everything that he wanted in the game. On top of that KH3 is jam-packed with so much story content already, I feel like some stuff (specifically I'm worried about Kairi and Maleficent) will be pushed to the side and not be all too relevant in the long run of things. If a DLC episode is what is needed to correct that, I'm all for it considering if there were no DLC, that portion would never appear in the game.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Also...outfits! I would pay for outfits. I did with XIII-2, I deem Bikini-Serah, my greatest DLC purchase to date. Such sexiness.
i89gVd9.jpg
Just imagine the possibilities with Aqua.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back