• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Drop gauge theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidus14

due to the new site, You can change riku or sora with the drop gauge.. In one of the first interview about this game, nomura said you can switch sora and riku on a random moment. If you clik on the gauge, It changed from, sora and riku.. So maybe this thingy is for changing sora and riku?

- sorry for bad english, from holland yknow

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Seems pretty much like it.

I do think however that Nomura said that players can't decide when to switch and that it'll happen random.

There will be probably some means to slow down or fill up the Drop-Gauge in order to play as one of the characters longer, but that may be all sort of "influence" the player gets.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
Interesting so it seems like Sora and Riku will switch on the fly automatically. So I wonder what it means for cutscenes. Everyone will have a unique experience because we won't know if it will be a Sora or Riku scene

Tidus14

I think when You enter a cutscene, and youll be sora, then Its a scene from sora. and vice verca. and that small scene on the new site when you click on the drop gauge.. maybe when you see that youll change. Also I notice in some screens de bar is gone. Maybe its a feature that later in de game will be introduced.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I think when You enter a cutscene, and youll be sora, then Its a scene from sora. and vice verca. and that small scene on the new site when you click on the drop gauge.. maybe when you see that youll change. Also I notice in some screens de bar is gone. Maybe its a feature that later in de game will be introduced.

I think that would be an interesting concept, but something tells me it won't work like that because the story has to progress in a certain order, and for example, if Riku has to meet Frollo and Phoebus in the town square, but at that moment, you enter with Sora, I doubt they would duplicate every cutscene in the game for both characters respectively. I think that regardless of who you are, the cutscene will just feature the character that need be in it (which I don't mind either).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Wel now we need a XH/Xenmas tag team boss that plays on the gauge.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
I think that would be an interesting concept, but something tells me it won't work like that because the story has to progress in a certain order, and for example, if Riku has to meet Frollo and Phoebus in the town square, but at that moment, you enter with Sora, I doubt they would duplicate every cutscene in the game for both characters respectively. I think that regardless of who you are, the cutscene will just feature the character that need be in it (which I don't mind either).

They'll probably script the mechanic to change Sora to Riku before that scene occurs. The best way to avoid it, though that means it could be up for exploitation.

kupo1121

Awards
They'll probably script the mechanic to change Sora to Riku before that scene occurs. The best way to avoid it, though that means it could be up for exploitation.

I'm actually not sure how they would do it. According to some of the translations, I think Sora and Riku get separated in different part of the Country of the Muskateers world (whats the name again?), so how are they still both with each other? I think that in some parts of the story, the drop gauge might go away. Like when Sora meets Neku and Riku meets Shiki. How is it possible to be Riku and yet meet Neku, and vice versa???

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
The same scene, but with a different person.

Think of it Like the Xehanort/Xemnas scene

Sora=Xemnas
Riku=Xehanort's Heartless
so..
b
Sora=Neku
Riku=Shiki they are both at the same spot but can't see each other

kupo1121

Awards
The same scene, but with a different person.

Think of it Like the Xehanort/Xemnas scene

Sora=Xemnas
Riku=Xehanort's Heartless
so..
b
Sora=Neku
Riku=Shiki they are both at the same spot but can't see each other

That is an interesting concept but that kind of makes it boring because the game will play out the same regardless of who you use. I wouldn't mind it if there were two available scenes that were completely different for each character as that would make one have to play through the game twice to see them all, but I don't see that happening.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
That is an interesting concept but that kind of makes it boring because the game will play out the same regardless of who you use. I wouldn't mind it if there were two available scenes that were completely different for each character as that would make one have to play through the game twice to see them all, but I don't see that happening.

Not necessarily, they could be in the same spot with different people; the scenes would play out differently progressing each characters side of the story and revealing stuff you didn't know playing as the other ala Birth By sleep

kupo1121

Awards
Not necessarily, they could be in the same spot with different people; the scenes would play out differently progressing each characters side of the story and revealing stuff you didn't know playing as the other ala Birth By sleep

But that would require two playthroughs to see all the cutscenes seeing as you would miss one by seeing the other. However, after the latest translation, it seems this may be fixed because Sora and Riku cannot see one another, so the two cutscenes can take place one right after the other, regarless of who you are.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
But that would require two playthroughs to see all the cutscenes seeing as you would miss one by seeing the other. However, after the latest translation, it seems this may be fixed because Sora and Riku cannot see one another, so the two cutscenes can take place one right after the other, regarless of who you are.

It would enhance re playability and make the game longer. Besides the gameplay would be different along with the cutscenes

kupo1121

Awards
It would enhance re playability and make the game longer. Besides the gameplay would be different along with the cutscenes

It would be different, but it doesn't go with the KH style. It would make more sense for them to do something like they did with CoM where the player goes through both at different times rather than having you play the exact same game twice to see the different cutscenes, so it seems highly unlikely regardless of whether it is a good idea or not for re-playability.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
From a demo report
The most interesting part is the Drop Gauge displayed on the bottom right of the screen when you play. When the Drop Gauge hits zero, the characters are switched. There is a time limit on the gauge and it seems that it cannot be replenished. So in that way you play as Sora to Riku, then from Riku to Sora, being forced to switch every few minutes. Also, if you press the start button the game pauses and you can press “DROP” button on the bottom screen. Doing that drains the drop gauge instantly and you can switch characters.

Furthermore, when you switch (from here on out I will refer to switching as “drop”), a screen pops up that shows the prizes, points, etc. that you accumulated during play. From there you can prepare the characters to your advantage for the next stage. For example, you can consume a potion that Sora collected and upgrade RIku’s magic power. Furthermore it seems that you’ll be able to utilize HP prizes here.

Well, in reality, being forced to switch characters like this is sort of tense and exciting. For example, you are in a boss fight with Sora, but then you drop to RIku and advance his storyline, but then you switch back to the boss fight with Sora, and you have to deal with an entirely different battle situation. Moreover, Riku and Sora are each off on their own separate adventures, but like the aforementioned links, you really get the feeling of “being together even when you are apart.” Because of the method gameplay being used to tell the story, more than any of the other titles before this you can really feel the connection between Riku and Sora.
Jeebus @ the bolded part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back