• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Disney's "Toy Box" & Square Enix's Missed Opportunity

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Re: Disney's "Toy Box" & Square Enix's Missed Opportunity

Parents spend 35 dollars on one Disney movie and they spend about 70 dollars on those Skylander starter sets.

If Skylanders can get away with it, Disney will definitely be able to.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I see your point, but the way the economy is going now I don't see any middle-income parent spending $75 for just one game and $34 for a character pack. Which is why I don't see this doing well in the market unless there is some sort of price cut.

Well, a normal game is $60 so if $75 is the basic for the game and some figures, that isn't that bad to start. It is once you get to the $35 that it gets pricey. I could go and buy a 3DS game with that $35 so unless that $35 nets me A LOT of new features with each figure...it's an "eh" for me.

If Skylanders can get away with it, Disney will definitely be able to.

Yup, this is exactly what I was thinking of, Skylanders does it and they aren't even Disney...

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

When I first heard of this I thought it was awesome but theeeen came the ridiculous prices. But the strange thing is I still have an urge to buy it :(

I hope this isn't a success and they realize that $75+ is too much to spend for the average consumer.
Disney is like parents. They make a bad business decision(
d releases of batb, fn, and mi with LK expectations when they were still available on DVD and blu) and blame the market. Little mermaid thwatrical release was cancelled as a result.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Disney is like parents. They make a bad business decision(
d releases of batb, fn, and mi with LK expectations when they were still available on DVD and blu) and blame the market. Little mermaid thwatrical release was cancelled as a result.
I assume you mean that they made bad decisions with the theatrical releases of these films? Finding Nemo may have earned half of what the Lion King did that's still a shit load of profit for Disney.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I don't know why the cancelled it, though. The rest of the movies were pretty damn successful for being rereleases.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

I assume you mean that they made bad decisions with the theatrical releases of these films? Finding Nemo may have earned half of what the Lion King did that's still a shit load of profit for Disney.
I don't know why the cancelled it, though. The rest of the movies were pretty damn successful for being rereleases.

Yeah, but it was the expectations on the 3D rereleases that killed it. I was using my phone earlier and didnt bother to clarify that.

Nemo did turn something of a profit and so does Monsters, but BatB fell pretty flat in its january US release and all are seen by Disney as disappointments because they didnt make as much as the Lion King's rerelease and Disney didnt take them off the DVD market for several years prior.

The Little Mermaid 3D was cancelled and it would've made a shitload more than the pixar films because it's going on 7 years since the last DVD release.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Beauty and the Beast made a little more than Finding Nemo.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

really......well the main point still stands.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well they are still releasing the Little Mermaid on DVD/bluray in 3D so not all is lost.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Yeah but myself and others wanted to see it in cinemas again/for the first time. Theres just no replacement for that unless your home theater is off the charts.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

Yeah, to remaster each film in 3D only costed Disney a few million dollars, each movie made well more than a few million (I don't know the exact costs of the movie, but it was said to be a few million) so each movie definitely made Disney tons of profit. I just think it was extremely dumb on their part to assume that because they didn't make as much as Lion King that they were failures.

Not only that but I find it unfair to compare Little Mermaid to Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. I can understand Disney being disappointed with Beauty and the Beast, but Little Mermaid not only came out ages before both Pixar films but LM's fanbase is probably bigger than both Pixar movie's fanbases. I think what was more stupid was how silently Disney cancelled LM3D. They didn't even give it a chance. What they should have done was announced it publicly and gauged the interest by how big the disappointment was. At this rate, I doubt many people even know it existed.

Yeah but myself and others wanted to see it in cinemas again/for the first time. Theres just no replacement for that unless your home theater is off the charts.

I have heard from people in CA that there is a very high chance they will show it at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood since Disney owns that theatre and only shows different Disney movies there. If you aren't all the way over there though (like myself), I'm in the same position you are. Since they are already going to convert it to 3D I don't see why they just don't make it a limited release -__-

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Well, now that we have the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster in the game, we can finally have Pixar characters in Kingdom Hearts III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back