• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Coming back to Anime

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

HinskaPetrov

So, I know if anyone can answer this question, it's you guys.

So it's been about 10 years since I last watched an Anime, around the time when the only one's you could find we're Pokemon and DBZ (Adult swim showed strange cartoons from canada and Space Ghost)

Well since I have nothing to do, what are some good titles to check out now?

give me a plot outline i guess, and whether I need to check out the series from the begging. to help answer some questions, the more obscure the anime, the better.

SharinganBlue

AMV Maker
Here's one series most people are talking about.

First thing you should check out is a series called Death Note. Its an extremely great series to watch about a highschool student named Light Yagami who was bored but so is Ryuk(a shinigami)from the Shinigami world. One day Light sees a Death Note fall from the sky, read it but didn't believe that is until he tested and the Death Note can kill people. He then decides that he'll get rid of all the criminals to make the world a better place. After a while, a legendary detective named L comes along to stop the strange killings and will stop at nothing to stop who they called Kira(Light). Story goes on...

Azerty

If you're in the mood for seeing an anime full of girls and high school comedy, then Best Student Council is your best bet.

Rino Randou is a young girl with a head full of air and a talking puppet on her hand. She is accepted into the illustrious Gokujou all-girl's school, and is summarily, almost curiously, accepted as part of the even more illustrious Best Student Council, who has more power and business ventures than most large businesses. Now a part of the student council, she befriends the talented members of the Best Student Council, leaving one to wonder how a girl with seemingly no talents or redeeming qualities would get chosen for such a group.

HinskaPetrov

cool thanks, I seen the death note movie, so I know a little about it, keep the suggestions coming please :thumbup:

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Bleach of course which is about the Substitute Death God Ichigo Kurisoki and his travels to destrou hollows in his home town and keep any friends from harm.

Get Backers is about Midou Ban and Ginji with Ban being like a snake that can use his Evil Eye to make you see a dream for a minute or his Snake bite which makes his grip up to 200G. Ginji was Thudor Emporer of Infiite Castle which towers over the city but he left and is no longer Thunder Emporer so he can control electricity. They form the Group Get Backers so gain money for their debts which is about them getting anything back.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Wikipedia will explain these so I won't have to.

FLCL (Fooly Cooly)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Black Lagoon
Darker Than Black
Innocent Venus
Code Geass (I've only seen the first episode, but I like it so far)

And, since you stopped watching about ten years ago, you may have come across a little known gem called Cowboy Bebop. I suggest you become well acquainted with it if you have not already.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star - The series is old but awesome. If you really can't stand the dated look, you should settle for the very recent OVAs. They're pretty much "remakes" of the original story archs (albiet with some terrible, terrible contradictions and omissions). They look utterly fantastic. I know it looks like any other "fighting anime" like DBZ, but the fights themselves are not the entire show. It's about (of all things) love, loss, death, and friendship. The story is actually pretty damned good, but perhaps seemingly cliched at this point only because it has been emulated hundreds of times by now. I'm even rather jaded when it comes to anime and I recommend it. It's nothing really new, but it's so well-done that I didn't care.

Also, you should watch anything by Shinichiro Watanabe. That includes Cowboy Bebop (must watch) and Samurai Champloo. I find that Watanabe's directorial style is heavily influenced by Western productions, like noir films. He also avoids a lot of the usual stupid shit that plagues a lot of other anime (overt melodrama for one thing). I can understand how some people might not like his style, since he doesn't spoonfeed people the entire story (something all too common in anime). If you can grasp and appreciate noir films (you know...the old detective films with the stark light contrasts), then you'll love Cowboy Bebop. Samurai Champloo is an entirely different approach, though. It's pretty much hip-hop-infused samurai action, which initially sounds retarded but winds up being highly enjoyable.

I also highly recommend Yoshiaki Kawajiri's works. They're some of my favorite anime. Granted, they're mostly movies and OVAs, but they're fantastic. He's the guy behind Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. They're loaded with blood, nudity, and surprising depth for action anime.

Darkly Aesthetic

could not be found.
Website
www.myspace.com
Eureka 7(Eh-oo-wreck-ah seven =D)

Eureka Seven centers around Renton Thurston, the fourteen-year-old son of Adrock Thurston, a military researcher who died saving the world. He lives what he considers a boring life with his mechanic grandfather in a boring town. He loves lifting, a sport similar to surfing but with air as the medium. He dreams of joining the renegade group Gekkostate, led by his idol Holland, a legendary lifter.

An opportunity to do so literally falls into his lap when a large mechanical robot, called the Nirvash typeZERO, and Eureka, a member of Gekkostate, crash into Renton's room. Renton's grandfather orders him to deliver a special part to the Nirvash (the amitta drive), which causes it to show off a large display of power. Afterwards Renton is invited to join Gekkostate, where he quickly discovers that the behind-the-scenes life of Gekkostate is hardly as glamorous or as interesting as printed in the glossy pages of their magazine, ray=out. Only one thing makes it all worthwhile for him: the presence of Eureka, the mysterious pilot of the Nirvash.

-Wiki..pedia

=D i'd recomend it if u like robots and teenagers and stuff..plus it's awesome !

By far, you should see katekyo hitman reborn. It is really awesome. The story is about a loser named Tsunayoshi who is not athletic or smart. He mom gets a flyer in the mail saying that a tutor was coming to help him. The tutor turns out to be a baby hitman named REBORN, hence the title. Reborn was sent to teach Tsuna to become the 10th Generation Boss a certain mob family.....

Also, I would recommend Death Note. I won't give the details become they have been given above.

Finally, I would recommend Fullmetal Alchemist. Check Wikipedia, as the other person said.

Have a good time!

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Dude. You want "obscure", try JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (good luck finding it, though >.>). One Piece, mebeh (NOT the English version). And just about anything from Gainex, like Evangelion, FLCL, Abenobashi, etc. Save those recommended by Square Ninja, I'd pretty much avoid anime adaptations. Manga's better.

By far, you should see katekyo hitman reborn. It is really awesome. The story is about a loser named Tsunayoshi who is not athletic or smart. He mom gets a flyer in the mail saying that a tutor was coming to help him. The tutor turns out to be a baby hitman named REBORN, hence the title. Reborn was sent to teach Tsuna to become the 10th Generation Boss a certain mob family.....

I've been meaning to check that series out myself. D:

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
Eureka 7 is generic mecha anime with horrible mecha designs. Avoid it.

SN has something against E7. I never really got what. Ignore him, though, it's an amazing show, a coming of age story that's almost totally character driven, with some beautifully animated mech fights interlaced throughout. The designs are kinda meh, but still better than anything Gundam or Macross managed.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure isn't exactly obscure, Ojike. Every high end series from Hellsing to Berserk's got it's roots burried in it. It's the original ultra violence/revenge story.

Speaking of which, read and watch Berserk. It's a classic in all regards, the tragedy of the Black Swordsman Guts and his struggles against destiny. It's almost sickingly violent, but that only adds to the sheer wonder the series invokes.

Hellsing is another beautiful piece of animation. Well, the OVAs are, not the actual show. It's the story of the vampire Alucard and Hellsing, the organization he's sworn fealty to. Right now, the establishment is in the middle of fighting off a Nazi invasion of London, with Alucard fighting a crazed zealot, a so called Angel of Death, and unholy abominations en masse. It truly is the best of the mindless violence series around now.

If the violence isn't what you're after, watch either Death Note (which has already been explained, I see), and Monster, the story of a famed Japanese surgeon who's framed for murder in Germany after a child he chooses to save, despite the consequences to his career, turns out to be a genius, with charisma comparable to Hitler's at the height of his power. He also turns out to be a mass murdering Monster, who views Tenma (the surgeon) to be his hero and idol. Tenma eventually comes to think that the only way he can ever really end the boy's madness is a bullet in his head, and becomes more and more desperate every time the boy passes through his fingers. The story goes far deeper than that, but I haven't finished reading it myself, so I can't go into the finer details. Still, it's an amazing show, done by Madhouse (the best animation studio around), and an even better manga, written by the Japanese equivilent to Frank Miller.

Hope that helps =D

~Dorian Gray

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Eureka 7(Eh-oo-wreck-ah seven =D)

Eureka Seven centers around Renton Thurston, the fourteen-year-old son of Adrock Thurston, a military researcher who died saving the world. He lives what he considers a boring life with his mechanic grandfather in a boring town. He loves lifting, a sport similar to surfing but with air as the medium. He dreams of joining the renegade group Gekkostate, led by his idol Holland, a legendary lifter.

An opportunity to do so literally falls into his lap when a large mechanical robot, called the Nirvash typeZERO, and Eureka, a member of Gekkostate, crash into Renton's room. Renton's grandfather orders him to deliver a special part to the Nirvash (the amitta drive), which causes it to show off a large display of power. Afterwards Renton is invited to join Gekkostate, where he quickly discovers that the behind-the-scenes life of Gekkostate is hardly as glamorous or as interesting as printed in the glossy pages of their magazine, ray=out. Only one thing makes it all worthwhile for him: the presence of Eureka, the mysterious pilot of the Nirvash.

-Wiki..pedia

=D i'd recomend it if u like robots and teenagers and stuff..plus it's awesome !

SN has something against E7. I never really got what. Ignore him, though, it's an amazing show, a coming of age story that's almost totally character driven, with some beautifully animated mech fights interlaced throughout. The designs are kinda meh, but still better than anything Gundam or Macross managed.

I have to agree with these two. It really is great, in my opinion at least.

If the violence isn't what you're after, watch either Death Note (which has already been explained, I see), and Monster, the story of a famed Japanese surgeon who's framed for murder in Germany after a child he chooses to save, despite the consequences to his career, turns out to be a genius, with charisma comparable to Hitler's at the height of his power. He also turns out to be a mass murdering Monster, who views Tenma (the surgeon) to be his hero and idol. Tenma eventually comes to think that the only way he can ever really end the boy's madness is a bullet in his head, and becomes more and more desperate every time the boy passes through his fingers. The story goes far deeper than that, but I haven't finished reading it myself, so I can't go into the finer details. Still, it's an amazing show, done by Madhouse (the best animation studio around), and an even better manga, written by the Japanese equivilent to Frank Miller.

Hope that helps =D

~Dorian Gray

I'll have to check out Monster. That sounds interesting.

HinskaPetrov

thanks guys, thanks to you I got a couple of eps on download to check out. how about manga (paperback) any suggestions, My friend gave me an awesome site with TONS of em', and I have no idea where to start.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, a lot of the series mentioned so far also have a manga series, such as Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist. A lot of them are really pretty good, in my opinion at least. Some may say otherwise...

SharinganBlue

AMV Maker
Good mangas? Well the series we already said have manga's originally. Read Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist instead cause....well you'll understand. Just as KHVandread said, really. Now I sound like a parrot....

Anyway, about the "rumor"....YAY!!

Also I suggest watching and reading Bleach and Naruto(this series can be considered as the DBZ of today, sort of.)

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Honestly, who designed those Eureka 7 mechs? They're giant mechs flying on hoverboards. It's like something out the margins in a middleschooler's notebook.

Also, Jojo's is pretty cool, but it's very, very long. The manga is still going some twenty years later.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
SN's grudge against Eureka 7 sounds similar to my distain towards Trinity Blood....

Yusuke Murata's artwork for Eyeshield 21 is something to behold. I'd suggest that for a manga. I mean....who DOESN'T like to see some crazy Japanese children learning the ways of American Football? =D

But I have to ask........why the sudden yearning for anime/manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back