• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

College

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
2nd year Fall courses:

General Psych
Introduction to Business
EWRT (Writing Class)
SolidWorks (Computer Aided Design)

I've no idea what to expect seeing as I tranferred form a 4 year semester school to a community college on the quarter system. If it's anything like my summer courses then it'll be easier than I had in high school.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Got arrested twice.

Resulted in being kicked off the team/out of school.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Intro to Women & Gender
... what?

I study Entertainment Industries at one of the two biggest universities in Queensland. I'm in my second semester and I'm kupoing loving it. Though right now I'm procrastinating on an assignment. So far this course has been exactly what I hoped it would be and more. I'm much more comfortable doing this than I was doing Law last year at UQ.

This semester I'm studying:

Introduction to Film, TV and New Media Production
The Film, TV and New Media Business
Global Entertainment (just recently had a free field trip to a theme park for this)
Introduction to Law (i should have opted for the credit on this)

I always hear uni jokes about how there are no girls in the hard sciences like Engineering. Well, it's like the exact opposite in Entertainment. Girls EVERYWHERE! On the Warner Bros. Movie World trip I actually got a chance to see most of the people in the course and do a bit of a head count. There was meant to be 240 of us there. I counted 14 guys. Myself included.

Last edited:

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
You don't think you're going to hate yourself afterwards? If I had to do a Gender Studies class there's no way I'd be able to resist being an asshole.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
You don't think you're going to hate yourself afterwards? If I had to do a Gender Studies class there's no way I'd be able to resist being an asshole.
Hell, it'd be worth it if only to entertain yourself.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Why'd you transfer?

Organic Chemistry
Single Variable Calculus II
Physics 101
Chemical Engineering 301 and 303
Intro to Poetry
Intro to Women & Gender

19 hours at Rice U. kupo my life.

19 hours with Calc 2? bitch u crazy lol good luck. Calc 2 can be rough.
Physics 101 sounds like Mechanics which isn't all that bad unless you score a terrible prof.

What's chemical engineering 301 and 303? If it's a junior-level class, might it be fluid mechanics or the second semester of thermo or something?

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Yeah, in all honesty I knew starting out that calculus would be the class that most gets me. I hate the subject. I'm surprised at how much I really love chemistry though, which is why I switched to chemical engineering. Orgo gets a bad rep here at Rice U for being insanely tough, so we'll see how it goes. My prof insists orgo isn't that difficult, it just has a lot of info that piles up, but I'll see.

Physics so far is mostly mechanics, and it's not bad. I'm sure it'll get tougher, but I'll manage. Other than calculus, my main concern is CHBE 301 and 303, which are fundamental courses for ChemE. Calculus 102 (which I'm taking now) is actually a prerequisite for the class, but I got permission from the chair of the department to take them together since I've demonstrated I'd be willing to do the extra work to get caught up. Yay me.

I keep reminding myself that this will likely be my hardest semester in school, and it's just a 3.5 month period. I'm keeping my spirits so far :/

What made you wanna get into chemical engineering? Keep forgetting you're in Houston like I am.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Why'd you transfer?

Organic Chemistry
Single Variable Calculus II
Physics 101
Chemical Engineering 301 and 303
Intro to Poetry
Intro to Women & Gender

19 hours at Rice U. kupo my life.
>chemistry
>calculus
>physics
>engineering

i am weeping for you. jesus.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
My nig, I know! But it's doable. Just really gotta manage my time wisely this semester. It's especially not tha bad when you figure that, like Dogenzaka said, physics 101 is mostly mechanics (not too bad) and I've a bit of a natural thing with chemistry, so I'm not too too worried about orgo. Calculus is going to be the kicker, this class is already movine much faster than my last two math courses last year.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Hahahahahaha, you are so funny.

http://i.imgur.com/uEaYU.png

This was my freshmen and sophomore year. Most engineering freshmen here finish freshmen year with at least 50 credits.

Different universities, different curriculum, different students. Also, Drexel is not under a semester system. At my university, the majority of engineers that I know of that complete the program (especially the ones who have jobs or co-ops, or are involved in organizations or other activities) do not graduate in four years, unless they have incoming credit. Here, 80% of freshman transfer out of their engineering majors into business or something else by the end of their first and second semesters, too.

Having said that, like many engineers at my school, I am graduating in 5 years, but I came in a year behind (not having taken precalculus or a real physics class before), and I'm still getting a math minor and safety engineering certification by the time of graduation (possibly a chemistry minor as well...don't know if I want that), plus I'll be doing a part-time research position soon. I'm also heavily involved in services and activities with the community and my local church, so I'm by no means coasting through engineering, myself (as if that were possible lol).

and wtf XIII is banned?

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
I'm in no way discrediting your work ethic or the merit of your education. I'm simply stating that the concept of a high-credit engineering curriculum being almost "laughably" impossible is, in reverse, a laughable concept to me. Our terms are 10 weeks long, instead of 16-18, and Freshmen through Sophomore year regularly require workloads of over 18+ credits. When I hear people at other schools saying "I'd never do 2 different sciences in the same semester" or "Calculus and another math heavy course will kill you", it gives me a fun chuckle in my belly.

D

Deleted member 36435

i wouldn't do either of those things cause i don't have to
well not yet anyways :CC

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
I'm in no way discrediting your work ethic or the merit of your education. I'm simply stating that the concept of a high-credit engineering curriculum being almost "laughably" impossible is, in reverse, a laughable concept to me. Our terms are 10 weeks long, instead of 16-18, and Freshmen through Sophomore year regularly require workloads of over 18+ credits. When I hear people at other schools saying "I'd never do 2 different sciences in the same semester" or "Calculus and another math heavy course will kill you", it gives me a fun chuckle in my belly.

Right. I probably should have worded my post differently, as I basically meant that the 20-hour semester of engineering at my school is practically unheard of to me. The only person I know who ever took 20 hours in an engineering semester was a bright freshman (whom I mentored, because I was a freshman orientation camp counselor), but she ended up having to drop a course later that semester (my school lets you drop 3 during your bachelor's degree) and also failed her physics class, which was a shame. I'm just used to my environment and am not familiar with other curricula and am unfamiliar with quarterly/trimester systems. And my school heavily encourages student involvement in other activities, organizations, and societies, so that also effects the academic culture at my school (like, for example, we have the biggest student-led community service day/event in the country).

I think I would prefer the quarterly or trimester system to advance through courses more quickly. I did a 10-week session this summer and I liked it (except for my circuits course, which was quite rigorous).

EDIT: in fact, I just checked, and my university doesn't even let anyone register for more than 19 hours a semester.

Last edited:
Back