• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Best Night of Comedy (most tolerable is more like it)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

|The_Big_Four|

Website
www.angelfire.com
Well, I think it's safe to say that this is a topic that doesn't get discussed very frequently. And why is that? Probably because nowadays new sitcoms usually don't last past half a season, and ones that have been around for a while people have forgotten still even exist. Is it because much cheaper-to-produce and highly-addictive reality shows have taken over for at least half of all network programming?

Or is it just because we haven't had a decent, solid show draw exceptional ratings since the deaths of Seinfeld, Friends, and Everybody Loves Raymond? Anyway, no use crying over milk that's already been splattered, wiped up with a rag, and rinsed down the sink. Let's take a look at the here and now. As it stands, all five of the major networks have set aside a special night dedicated to sitcoms and comedies of the sort.

So, the question is, which do YOU think is the dominant one? Forget the ratings, which network actually succeeds in making you laugh? (or at least chuckle, if only as an act of pity) Keep in mind that this is more of a "which night of comedy sucks the least" type of a deal than anything else.

NBC - Thursday Nights
Let's start with the network that brings us the greatest show ever (Heroes of course) every week. NBC now refers to its Thursday nights as "Comedy Done Right." Prior to the far superior ER, now in its 13th season, NBC "treats" its viewers to the still relatively new comedies of My Name is Earl and The Office, followed by the surviving NBC sitcom Scrubs and the fresh new show, 30 Rock.

CBS - Monday Nights
The highly overrated (and by that I actually mean TV ratings) network has made Monday nights its comedy night of choice, using the first part of the night to showcase its newer comedies of How I Met Your Mother and The Class. CBS then steals mad ratings from both 24 and Heroes using its perennial "favorite," Two and a Half Men, which for some retarded reason is the highest rated sitcom (by far) currently. The network wraps it up with The New Adventures of Old Christine before unleashing Monday night's ratings-killer, CSI: Miami. Grrrrrrrr. Note that CBS's other long-running sitcom, King of Queens, is currently on hiatus, as well as the brand new Rules of Engagement, which has yet to premiere.

ABC - Wednesday Nights
Well, I gotta give credit to ABC for one thing. It actually placed its night of comedy in the vacant lot known as Wednesdays. Oh wait a minute, my bad. ABC's night of comedy is one of the reasons why there's never anything good on Wednesday nights. The network starts things off with its returning sitcoms George Lopez and According to Jim, followed by the brand-new shows of The Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency. It's not surprising that Desperate Housewives by itself blows this entire night out the water.

The CW - Monday Nights
Every one of these crappy shows either came from UPN's side or would have been conceived by that network. The WB had nothing to do with this. The CW caters to an obvious demographic (and it shows in the ratings) with Everybody Hates Chris, All of Us, Girlfriends, and The Game. I should mention that The CW is pretty much dead last in ratings every Monday night. Surprising, isn't it? My advice? Stick to Supernatural and Friday Night Smackdown!.

FOX - Sunday Nights
The network that I would have deleted completely from my channels list had it not been for the always awesome 24 season after season, FOX has been known for its share of crappy comedies, both the ones that were canned after half a season, as well as the ones that SHOULD have been. Aside from its newer (and less than stellar) sitcoms airing currently on Thursday nights, these being 'Til Death and The War at Home, FOX still has its Sunday block of animated comedy programming, which consists of several shows that seriously need to die, including The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, and American Dad. Might I just note that The Simpsons pretty much died for me about 10 seasons ago, and if you have any self-respect, the same should go for you.

So there you have it, the glorious nights of comedy programming that the networks present us with week after week. Is it any wonder that most of the shows I watch are dramas? Sure, there a few cable networks out there that still deliver some good comedies, but seeing as how the highest rated sitcom in the nation right now is Two and a Half Men, it's pretty much safe to say that the situation ... it ain't good.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com
To put it simply, I watch The Office, 'Til Death, How I Met Your Mother and The Class. Out of all of them NBC has the best comedy show on its line-up; that would obviously be The Office, its one of the most innovated and original comedies out there. I love the original british Office as well.

Anyhow, I don't watch the others, 24 and Heroes are more important on Mondays, and then on Thursday at 9/8c I have Supernatural. Scrubs sucks, as does every other show.

I do watch American Dad, Family Guy and the Simpsons, but in recent years The Simpsons has told worthless, dull stories, they've clearly lost their prime many years ago.

And, just as a final point, I hated Friends and Seinfeld. They weren't good sitcoms at all, that was just wasted shit on television. Fraiser, now that's a classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back