• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Best KH Villain?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisceanreve

I just can't choose between Maleficent, BILLY ZANE'S Ansem SOD (the other manages to ruin his character in my opinion), and Young Master Xehanort XD
Hm...maybe it's the voices...
Your opinions?

Gram

Banned
Awards
I think Xehanort is easily the best villain KH has.

The disney ones never had much threat or presences aside Maleficent but she too has lost this the moment they revived her in KH2.
Xehanort on the other hand has defined the series. Everything that's happened has happened because of him, even Maleficent was an unknowing cog in his scheme wheel.

He's maniacal but at the same time methodical only doing what would benefit him or his curiosity. For him it's not so much as the same old cliche of just wanting to rule for rulings sake, he is driven by just wanting to see what will happen. (and by his crazed opinion he can create a balanced world)

His various selves have proven to be decent villains as well in their own rights, being dominantly Xehanort but at the same time with personalities distinct enough to them.

Xehanort has also proven to by far the most powerful. Even as an old man he had the power to lift mountains, create vortexes of keyblades and even lift Ventus up by one hand and shatter his helmet.
He more or less took on 3 wielders decades younger than him and effortlessly kept them at bay. Hell had he actually intended to win he may have very well been capable of defeating Terra and the others. (though given he was after Terra's body and Ven for the xblade he obviously had no intentions of destroying them and thus likely held back)

Though I do think Xehanort's character has taken a less than favorable turn/hit with DDD. Making Ansem and Xemnas' plans two parts of MX larger one took away from their characters.
Especially Xemnas who was revealed to be more or less just Xehanort's nobody enforcer not having no real motivations of his own.

Then there's the time travel bit which confuses many despite the fact that Xehanort himself explains it not once but twice.

But again despite DDD I still think he's the best this series has shown so far. I know he's the only villain I've ever seen that always has a fanbase debating 10yrs after his introduction.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Xigbar/Braig is my favorite villain in the series.

In KH2 he seemed like a minor organization member, but I loved how Nomura developed him to the point were he has become on of the most important villains in the series. Right up there with Xehanort.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
Something bout Xemnas man he's just intriguing and ruthless, I woulda liked to have seen Chain of Memories ending differently with Xemnas finishing off Marluxia.

digimikej

Awards
im tied between xehanort and marluxia. both are evil, smart, and sadistic as hell. like, baby eating sadistic. i always wondered what would have happened if xehanort had a conversation with marluxia.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think the Disney villains far surpass any of the KH characters, but since the writing doesn't take them seriously in these games, I've left them out.

1. Ansem’s Apprentice/Terranort ~ I love his design and his voice. He was very eerie in 3D, which might partly be due to his appearance being a constant reminder of what happened to Terra. He's definitely my favorite of all Xehanort's incarnations.
2. Larxene ~ I love me a good villainess, and Larxene is the only one of the original characters. I don't really care for her antennas, or whatever they are, but I like the mean girl look they gave her. Her sadistic joy at inflicting pain on Namine is extremely creepy. Unlike Xehanort, who does the bad things he does only out of a pursuit of the X blade and/or Kingdom Hearts divorced from emotion, Larxene is emotionally invested in her evil behavior. I also like her fighting style, and her battles were some of my favorites. The voice actress in Re:CoM is a little off from what I imagined, but she isn't too bad (I just thought she spoke waaay....toooo....slooow...)
3. Vanitas ~ It took me the longest time through the game to realize he was being voiced by Osment (and then the face reveal later). Everything about him I found unsettling at the time. Plus, it was nice to see what Riku's Heartless outfit would like on Sora, if not really Sora.
4. Saix ~ I really love this character, design, voice, battle, weapon and all. I like how they later revealed his original self was friends with Axel, and how that gives some tragic layers to the character.
5. Axel ~ I'm not a huge Axel fan, but the character has an awesome design/weapon/voice acting. I rank him here just because he's really effective in CoM, partly because, like Sora, you don't know what the hell is going on. And while we find out later that he was just following orders and/or was in some strange secret alliance with Saix, there's no denying how evil he is in CoM. Killing Vexen and Zexion, both in horrendous ways, imo, justify this ranking if nothing else. Even in KH2, there's still a little bit of that crazy there with how he selfishly tries to kidnap Kairi, not to mention the rapey vibe he gives off in that scene with her on the beach. He's got nothing on Larxene though, who gives off serious child molester vibes.
6. Xehanort ~ I never really liked this character's design too much. I mean, the clothes are nice (borrowed from the first game), but don't really like the head face/head, etc. He grew on me more in 3D, mostly because the voice acting is probably the best from a non-Disney character. Plus, the way he sits on the throne completely unafraid and speaking "rationally" to Mickey and Riku makes him a total boss. I believe I read somewhere that Nomura based his design somewhat on a primal look similar to a monkey's face? I'm not sure, but either way, that's what he makes me think of. The eyes are the best part. His evil is more disturbing because he really has no personal investment in who he victimizes, he just uses whoever is useful. An amoral evil.
7. Ansem/Xehanort’s Heartless ~ Billy Zane is incredible and the design is amazing (not to mention hot...). Gets the downgrade just because we later learn he did almost nothing/had very little purpose in the overall plot. But his personality was always bland. Always DARKNESS DARKNESS DARKNESS. Kind of boring after a while.
8. Riku Replica ~ He really only ranks because the character was so vicious to Sora, and because I thought the Sora-Repliku scenes were the best part of CoM outside than Namine. One of the later battles with him was the hardest in CoM for me.
9. Marluxia ~ The design is just okay, but I like the scythe and the flower petals. He's a little boring, but something about his one-track-mindedness makes him vaguely off-putting, unlike Xehanort's Heartless who just ends up being annoying. It might be that he's so quiet that I'm left with that impression. Overall, not very memorable in the scheme of things, but he works within the game he's in itself.
10. Vexen ~ He was one of my favorites from CoM (I know he's unpopular with most fans though). I love his design, although I think his weapon and battles are really bad. The evil he does to Repliku really stands out among other sick things that happenens in CoM. But I think they made a really bad choice of voice actor, who didn't really suit the character at all--at least, I imagined him sounding more bored/cold/condescending rather than Dr. Frankenstein/mad scientist.
11. Xaldin ~ He gets one of the best deals of the Org. members in KH2, and I liked the character more in his interactions with Roxas in Days. He comes across like one of the most intelligent members of the Organization, but not as involved. His design is...eh, okay, sideburns. I don't really like the spears, but his battle is easily the most difficult of any of the Organization members in my opinion which gets a few points.
12. Xigbar ~ Xigbar is another like Xehanort that took a while to grow on me. I like his voice actor and design, plus his more playful side with Sora and Roxas. For whatever reason, he's just never been one of my favorites. It's probably because unlike most of the other Org. members, he knows he's just a pawn to further Xehanort's interests? (Oh, wait, did he know that? I probably have that wrong.) Either way, I hated his original self's design; I only mention his original self because Braig is a villain himself, imo, whereas most of the other Org. members' original selves weren't--or, at least, it's still ambiguous if the other Apprentices knew the evil they were doing, plus we know nothing about some of the others, like Larxene, Marluxia, etc.
13. Xemnas/Xehanort’s Nobody ~ I've just never liked Xemnas, and I blame that almost completely on the voice actor. Xemnas is like Xehanort's Heartless in that everything's always about NOTHINGNESS NOTHINGNESS NOTHINGNESS all the time. The only real difference is that Billy Zane is awesome, and this guy's voice actor is not. He's okay in small doses, like in 3D, but definitely not as a main villain.
14. Zexion ~ These last 4 I only rank because they are in the Organization and attempt to kill either Sora or Riku. I like Zexion the best of those left, so that's why I rank him first. I love his design and his voice actor--who would've guessed Darien would've ended up in Kingdom Hearts?! :p I like the mystery of his weapon and he seems like the next intelligent in the Organization to Xaldin (to me), too.
15. Luxord ~ Like Zexion, he's only interesting because of his powers. His design is bland to me and he doesn't really leave any impression.
16. Demyx ~ I actually like Demyx as a character, but not as a villain. I normally like water-based villains, but not here. Using a sitar to fight is a little bizarre, and not in an interesting way.
17. Lexaeus ~ Dullsville.

This is just ranking their Nobody selves before they were restored. At first, I wasn't sure if I should add Axel or not. He's more of a grey character, since he does some bad things in CoM, but doesn't seem aligned with the others either.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Xehanort definitely, though my favorite is Xemnas.
And Maleficent, well, the first game, anyway.

Ansem...I have a hard time calling him one of the best villains. I like his design (which was actually one of the reasons I got interested in KH) but in the first game I found him oddly...boring. Not helped that Billy Zane sounded bored most of the time (I also found his voice so forgettable that I didn't even notice there was a change in voice actors, but that part doesn't really have anything to do with this,) and his voice just didn't...sound right for the character. Hard to pin it down, but it's...too high pitched or something.
So I didn't really care for the character.

CoM, especially Re:CoM, did help my opinion on the character slightly. Mainly because the scene where he's trying to reach for Riku in the darkness really made him feel like a threat (and totally creeped me out.) But I was still indifferent.

Then DDD came around, and for the first time, I liked Ansem, SoD. For the first time it felt like he had a presence and wasn't just there to be there, with my favorite scene from that game being where he and Riku are talking in the big shadowy darkness.

But....I forgot what I was talking about.

Well, anyway, while I like Ansem now, he's more Riku's villain (though I guess he's always been really) and doesn't have much role besides bugging Riku.
There was probably something else I was gonna say, but I forgot.

Last edited:

Pisceanreve

Oh man, you guys reminded me about Larxene and Braig! Although Larxene I quite like as a character, while Braig is like "Argh I hate him, he's a terrible person!" or, you know, something along those lines... For some reason, he feels more threatening than, say, Xemnas. I think Xemnas is definitely my least favorite villain in the series.
I don't count Axel as a villain even though he was that sort of chaotic-neutral antagonist in Chain of Memories. Same goes for Repliku (except without the chaotic neutral personality)
Luxord is wonderful.
Vanitas...still forming opinions on him, but he's a cool antagonist when you fight him XD

ImpZ

I really like Braig. Maybe because at the time in BbS, he wasn't a Keyblade wielder nor a powerful dark user, he was a regular thug with magic pistols more or less, and took on two Keyblade wielders, one a Master. As Xigbar he was my fav Organization member probably, I like his ability to warp space and his weapons. And in the end, finding out in BbS and DDD, he has become much more important.

Prince Enigma

My favourite Disney villain is Maleficent, and this is the same in the series, though I agree with the general consensus here that she lost a lot of her status as a menacing, and compelling villain after her hasty revival in Kingdom Hearts 2. And teaming her up with Pete just made her provide comic relief alongside Pete's dumbness and tomfoolery. She should have been better handled IMO, considering how great she is outside of the Kingdom Hearts series.

Like I mentioned in regard to Maleficent, I agree with Tartarus that the writers often don't take them seriously enough to better implement them into the games storyline. The exception is Maleficent in KH1, but as it later turns out she was just a pawn of Xehanort's. I also agree with Tartarus that Maleficent and the other villains far surpass some of the KH villains, but again, the way they have been handled in the series is poor.

I also agree with Tartarus on Larxene, and I view her as one of the most interesting Organization members and KH villains (along with Xigbar and Axel who I also view as great KH villains, though Axel is now more of an anti-hero after DDD) It was Larxene's girlish laugh that really offset her sadistic nature and Xigbar's catchphrase 'As if', just little things like that that made them way more interesting and fun to watch and battle than the deeply monotonous Ansem and Xemnas who I find to be really dull and characterised by there overlong, complicated monologues. While I like Xemnas for his fighting style etc. I find him uninteresting and unmenacing as a villain.

So, I would have to go with Xehanort really as being the best KH villain thus far. While like so many characters in the series, he has recently been poorly handled like Anagram stated. But at the end of the day, he is the catalyst of all the major events in the series, and that says something to his status as a main antagonist.

Antar

Awards
I would go with either Master Xehanort or Xemnas. Both seem very threatening and I just love their characters.

Pisceanreve

Even though Maleficent's role is reduced later on, I think it's because she's slowly....a little more sympathetic? I know it definitely doesn't seem like it, but looking at her in BBS and KH1 compared to KH2 and Coded, she just seems to be softening the slightest bit...am I the only one who thinks that?
I still love her character XD
Maybe I shouldn't have said best villain so much as your favourite villain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back