• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Attention Non-Fiction Writers!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
We don't have enough of this kind of writing. In an attempt to spark some interest in this, I'm going to post some links. The first is a little self-serving, because it's a series of short, non-fiction pieces I wrote a few years ago, but hopefully some people who haven't seen them before might find in them proof that non-fiction writing can be interesting:

Pictures of China I Never Took

The next two links EVERYONE who cares deeply about writing should check out. These are two interviews done on NPR, in 1978 and 2006, with John McPhee, who is a master of non-fiction writing. Whether or not you've read anything by McPhee (but if you haven't, you should), listen to these interviews to understand what good writing is all about.

John McPhee NPR 1978
John McPhee NPR 2006

If you all have books, writers, links or (best of all) stories to share, bring them here!

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
So Three White Guys Walk into a Condom Shop

This is a short narrative piece I recovered recently from my first year teaching English in China. ("Pictures of China I Never Took," a collection of pieces also set in China, is from my semester abroad as a student.) I actually wrote this as an example narrative for my writing students. It raised some eyebrows, but this is 100% factually accurate (to the best of my recollection).

Rated PG-13 for Sexually Related Content

So Three White Guys Walk into a Condom Shop

So three white guys walk into a condom shop: a short fat guy, a tall skinny guy, and a guy in the middle doing the talking. It sounds like the setup for a bad joke, but it’s not.

So we were walking along in Kaifeng, a little podunk town in the middle of nowhere China, going out for some late-night snacks: myself, my good friend Adam, and my good friend Richard. On our way to the night market, a cornucopia of cheap foods and amazing tastes (though not always so amazing smells), we happened to see a particular kind of sign that only comes out at night. Set inconspicuously in the middle of the side walk, in big red block-characters set against a background of white, it said 避孕药, which literally translates to “Avoiding pregnancy medicine”. Seeing this (being the most literate in Chinese characters), I pointed it out to my two friends, and we all snickered in our male-centric way at the frankness of the awkward translation. Walking past the sign, I turned around for no reason I can now recall, and saw the back of the sign said 安全套, literally “protective coverings”. Taking about two seconds to recognize the Chinese word for “condoms”, I couldn’t resist but point this translation out to my friends as well. We all got a good giggle out of it, then Adam said all of a sudden, “Hey, Richard, didn’t your wife say you needed to get some of those?” A pause. Then Richard, in his tall, awkward, gangly sort of way, replied, “Yeah.”

So, three white guys walk into a condom shop: a short fat guy, a tall skinny guy, and a guy in the middle doing the talking. They want to buy one box of condoms.

First off, this condom shop is tiny. It looked bigger from the outside, but on the inside two big, glass display tables take up most of the room. In the glass display directly in front of us: condoms. In the glass display to the left: contraceptives. On the wall behind the contraceptives: dildos and other toys. In the back of the room: a bed (not as kinky as it sounds, this is for the store owner), and a grainy, black-and-white television set. The three of us fit in the room, but uncomfortably.

Second, the store owner is having the best day of his life. He gets this huge, toothy grin as soon as we walk in, and you know this will be a story he tells his grandchildren one day, when they’re old enough. (“You won’t believe what walked into my shop the other day.”)

Anyway, I get to work helping Richard buy some condoms, and Adam gets to work sight-seeing. We quickly ascertain that there are two distinct kinds of condoms in the shop: the brand-name 20-25 RMB condoms, and the 10 RMB condoms with pictures of naked ladies on the boxes. Adam is convinced that the latter would make the best souvenir from China, but we go for the brand-name.

In the end, there is no punchline; or maybe the whole situation is the punchline—three white guys working together to buy a box of condoms in China. As we leave, Adam waves over his shoulder and says in Chinese, “See you tomorrow!” The guy just laughs.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Neat. I know somebody who went aboard! C:

This was an good story, that a mature audience would certainly like.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks! And hopefully it's not too scandalous for younger audiences either.

I'd be really glad for other people to contribute non-fiction stories/essays/whatever here as well! This thread is for anyone to post in, not just me.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
So Three White Guys Walk into a Condom Shop Pt. II

This is a continuation on So Three White Guys Walk into a Condom Shop. Originally it was going to be the second in a three-part series, but I never got around to writing the third installment, and at this point I don't remember the details well enough to write it. Probably just as well.

So Three White Guys Walk into a Condom Shop Pt. II

My first unintended trip to the condom shop with Adam and Richard was not to be my last. In fact, it spawned two separate trips back to the same shop at later points in the year, to different purposes and ends.

The first was when I was writing the narrative and narrative essay for "So Three White Guys Walk into a Condom Shop." At the time that I wrote it (probably mid-October), it had already been at least a few weeks since I had actually walked into that particular shop with Adam and Richard. Most of my attention at the time had been given to communicating with the shop owner to buy what we had come for, and the details of the shop itself were sketchy in my mind. So, to provide detail of place in the narrative, I decided that I needed to go back for further research. (Yes, I realize that going to a sex shop for 'further research' sounds rather suspect, but that's journalistic integrity.)

So, late on a weeknight, when the sky was turning dark and my skin color didn't immediately single me out as one of the handful of foreigners on campus, I set off, alone and on bike, back to the condom shop. I pedaled along the right side of the street, keeping an eye on the left where I knew the shop would be. Eventually the familiar block-letter sign came into view (this was actually one of the revisions I made based on my second trip--I had originally written that the sign was "red, with white block-characters" when in fact it was white, with red-block characters). I crossed the street and parked my bike a discreet distance from the condom shop--despite their frequency, I'm still not sure whether it's reputable to be seen entering one. I was about one door down from the entrance, between another shop and a restaurant.

I had just locked my bike and steeled myself to enter the store, when out from the restaurant directly behind me walked a student I recognized from my freshman class. (I teach both freshmen and juniors at the university--the juniors I teach writing, and the freshmen I teach conversation.) He didn't see me, but he didn't keep walking either. He just stood outside the door of the restaurant, a few feet away from me, waiting for something. A few moments later, another one of my freshman students showed up from across the street, and they both stood there talking. At this point, I decided the jig was up, and instead of trying to sneak away quietly I figured the least suspicious thing would be to at least say hi to them and say that it was a chance encounter (which it was!). So I did that.

"Teacher!" one of them said in surprise (they still call me this more often than my actual name, despite my efforts), "What are you doing here?"

"Oh!" I responded dumbly. "Just... riding around on my bike." I patted my bike as I said this, to lend strength to the otherwise absurdly vague lie. However, a side effect of speaking to people in another language is that it requires you to focus on the form of the conversation more than its content. Whether because of this or because they didn't feel the need to question their English teacher more closely, my students seemed satisfied with that answer. I turned to the attack--

"What are you doing here?"

"Our classmate is having a birthday. A group of us are here celebrating it." A pause. "Would you like to come join us?"

I am naturally shy, and usually refuse spontaneous invitations if for no other reason than I feel awkward accepting them. However, if I said "No," on top of sounding rude, they might repeat their question of "why?", and I had yet to come up with a more acceptable answer than "I need to research this condom shop." So I said "Yes!" with unusual gusto, and we all went inside.

Thus, my first lone misadventure to the condom shop ended up with me at a freshman birthday party in a restaurant two doors down from my intended target. The only "research" I got out of it was that I had reversed the colors on the sign outside the store. I later talked to Adam about my problem, who as I mentioned in my original narrative had much more leisure to look around the condom shop the first time we went in, and he provided most of the details you now see in the narrative.

That was my first attempt, and the experience was sufficient to scare me off from the condom shop for another two months. Then, for different reasons, I tried my second attempt, which ended much more successfully.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'll contribute something soon. No idea what it'll be.

First off, I have to say, wow. I wasn't expecting there to be a part two to this story. Let alone to find out, you're a "Teacher." I did enjoy reading your misadventure to the Condom shop for research. How many languages do you know, Hidden? Did you enjoy your time aboard? C:

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Good stuff, Hidden. I thought the Clementine piece was kind of Proustian, albeit in a crude way (that's a still compliment).

What your pieces illustrate quite well is that successful non-fiction often deploys many of the same literary devices as fiction. In particular, I’ve noticed that metaphor seems to be something used even more pointedly in non-fiction than fiction.

For me, one of the most impressively written pieces of non-fiction writing is Naomi Klein’s ‘The Shock Doctrine’ in which she draws a strangely compelling parallel between the impact of Chicago Style Economics on the world economy in the last half century and the brutally dehumanizing and disorientating effect of electric shock therapy on a 'mentally ill' patient. So that which would otherwise be a dry, if not heavily abstruse subject (economic theory), is lifted from the realm of pure academics, so that it resonates with the reader on an imaginative level.

Similarly, Naomi Wolf’s ‘The Beauty Myth’, which is more or less the key text of 2nd Wave Feminism, uses the image of the Iron Maiden (a body-shaped casket painted with the features of a beautiful woman in which the victim was trapped inside and spiked to death) to illustrate her argument women’s progress is stymied through the pressure to suffer into beauty.

I can think of a fair few more examples, but for the sake of brevity, they'll suffice to make my point: in order to be successful, non-fiction does have to viscerally engage the reader.

I have to admit that I have no idea who John McPhee is, but perhaps I'll check out the links you've posted.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'll contribute something soon. No idea what it'll be.
Great! I look forward to whatever it is.

KitKat said:
First off, I have to say, wow. I wasn't expecting there to be a part two to this story. Let alone to find out, you're a "Teacher." I did enjoy reading your misadventure to the Condom shop for research. How many languages do you know, Hidden? Did you enjoy your time aboard? C:
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've studied French and Chinese, so those are the only two languages outside of English I can speak passably. And yes, I've spent in total about 2-3 years abroad, and I enjoy it every time.

Good stuff, Hidden. I thought the Clementine piece was kind of Proustian, albeit in a crude way (that's a still compliment).
Thank you! I'll take crudely Proustian as a compliment any day. It's interesting, because I'm usually very conscious of the influences on my writing, but I'd never thought of Proust; I'm not certain I'd read any of his work by the time I wrote Pictures of China I Never Took.All those pieces do have a lot to do with nostalgia, however, so I can see a connection there.

Enchanted Rose said:
What your pieces illustrate quite well is that successful non-fiction often deploys many of the same literary devices as fiction. In particular, I’ve noticed that metaphor seems to be something used even more pointedly in non-fiction than fiction.
I agree, which is why good nonfiction is so eminently readable (a point you make below). The following paragraph, from John McPhee's Coming into the Country, ends with a simile that I marvel at every time I read it.

--Paddling again, we move down long pools separated by white pitches, looking to see whatever might appear in the low hills, in the cottonwood, in the white and black spruce—and in the river, too. Its bed is as distinct as if the water were not there. Everywhere, in fleets, are the oval shapes of salmon. They have moved the gravel and made redds, spawning craters, feet in diameter. They ignore the boats, but at times, and without apparent reason, they turn and shoot downriver, as if they have felt panic and have lost their resolve to get on with their loving and their dying. Some, already dead, lie whitening, grotesque, on the bottom, their [bodies] disassembling in the current. In a short time, not much will be left but the hooking jaws. Through the surface, meanwhile, the living salmon broach, freshen—making long, dolphinesque flight through the air—then fall to slap the water, to resume formation in the river, noses north, into the current. Looking over the side of the canoe is like staring down into a sky full of zeppelins.
~John McPhee, Coming into the Country

Enchanted Rose said:
For me, one of the most impressively written pieces of non-fiction writing is Naomi Klein’s ‘The Shock Doctrine’ in which she draws a strangely compelling parallel between the impact of Chicago Style Economics on the world economy in the last half century and the brutally dehumanizing and disorientating effect of electric shock therapy on a 'mentally ill' patient. So that which would otherwise be a dry, if not heavily abstruse subject (economic theory), is lifted from the realm of pure academics, so that it resonates with the reader on an imaginative level.

Similarly, Naomi Wolf’s ‘The Beauty Myth’, which is more or less the key text of 2nd Wave Feminism, uses the image of the Iron Maiden (a body-shaped casket painted with the features of a beautiful woman in which the victim was trapped inside and spiked to death) to illustrate her argument women’s progress is stymied through the pressure to suffer into beauty.

I can think of a fair few more examples, but for the sake of brevity, they'll suffice to make my point: in order to be successful, non-fiction does have to viscerally engage the reader.
Those sound excellent. I'd love it if you could provide any links to either of these essays or others by those authors.

Enchanted Rose said:
I have to admit that I have no idea who John McPhee is, but perhaps I'll check out the links you've posted.
I haven't read much of his work myself -I was introduced by a college professor a few years ago-, but he does seem to have the ability to make any subject interesting, and those two interviews about his own writing (the first in particular) are wonderful.

I'm going to suggest two essays that I have always considered thematically linked--Simone Weil's The Iliad, or the Poem of Force and George Orwell's Shooting an Elephant.

The Iliad, or the Poem of Force is a reading of the Iliad that begins with the line, "The true hero, the true subject, the center of the Iliad is force." It studies the entire poem (in selected passages) as a reflection of the human relationship to force or power, which is at its core dehumanizing ("force... is that x which turns anybody who is subjected to it into a thing") and destructive--everything that is worth saving in the Iliad is precisely that which force destroys. I actually discussed this essay five years ago with Enchanted Rose and darkisaac, but I didn't do a good job at the time of representing Weil's points, so I hope anyone who is interested will go ahead and click on the link above to read it themselves.

Shooting an Elephant is an excerpt from George Orwell's life in Burma (Myanmar) as a British police officer, and it contains one of the most startling and perceptive accounts of British Imperial rule in Southeast Asia, or any comparable government or system of power. It begins as a fairly straightforward account of Orwell being called in to shoot a rogue elephant that has gone "must." However, there is a point in the story where the apparent balance of power shifts between Orwell, the British police officer with a gun, and the mass of unarmed villagers who have come to watch him shoot the elephant. It's a really interesting take on, in Orwell's words, "the real motives for which despotic governments act."

Both of those essays really shaped how I think about "power," both in its nature and application, which is a topic that continues to fascinate me. I hope other readers find them equally stimulating.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Thank you! I'll take crudely Proustian as a compliment any day. It's interesting, because I'm usually very conscious of the influences on my writing, but I'd never thought of Proust; I'm not certain I'd read any of his work by the time I wrote Pictures of China I Never Took.All those pieces do have a lot to do with nostalgia, however, so I can see a connection there.

The famous construct in the books is that Proust is suddenly able to revive memories from his past – which he had hitherto forgotten – all owing to taste of a madeleine (rather than your clementine).

Here’s the key moment, and I particularly like the way in which Proust describes the scenes of a bygone temporality springing up into being:

“and just as the Japanese amuse themselves by filling a porcelain bowl with water and steeping in it little crumbs of paper which until then are without character or form, but, the moment they become wet, stretch themselves and bend, take on colour and distinctive shape, become flowers or houses or people, permanent and recognisable, so in that moment all the flowers in our garden and in M. Swann's park, and the water-lilies on the Vivonne and the good folk of the village and their little dwellings and the parish church and the whole of Combray and of its surroundings, taking their proper shapes and growing solid, sprang into being, town and gardens alike, all from my cup of tea” (that translation isn’t great, it sounds a lot more eloquent in the original French)

But yeah, the ability to oscillate between different ‘here and nows’ is something pretty important in autobiographical and reflective writing.

Those sound excellent. I'd love it if you could provide any links to either of these essays or others by those authors.

Both are prolific writers. Naomi Klein is great, particularly because unlike other investigative journalists, she doesn’t get swamped in facts: she’s very thorough, but what she excels in is linking all the pieces together to formulate a master narrative. Much of the stuff we now take for granted (e.g. the war in Iraq was an economic war; Halliburton is evil, Nike exploits its factory workers, choice is an illusion in a capitalist system) was first brought to light (or rather, factually verified) by her. Both occasionally write for the Guardian and New Statesman if you want to look at their style without having to wade your way through a lengthy book.

I'm going to suggest two essays that I have always considered thematically linked--Simone Weil's The Iliad, or the Poem of Force and George Orwell's Shooting an Elephant.

The Iliad, or the Poem of Force is a reading of the Iliad that begins with the line, "The true hero, the true subject, the center of the Iliad is force." It studies the entire poem (in selected passages) as a reflection of the human relationship to force or power, which is at its core dehumanizing ("force... is that x which turns anybody who is subjected to it into a thing") and destructive--everything that is worth saving in the Iliad is precisely that which force destroys. I actually discussed this essay five years ago with Enchanted Rose and darkisaac, but I didn't do a good job at the time of representing Weil's points, so I hope anyone who is interested will go ahead and click on the link above to read it themselves.

Shooting an Elephant is an excerpt from George Orwell's life in Burma (Myanmar) as a British police officer, and it contains one of the most startling and perceptive accounts of British Imperial rule in Southeast Asia, or any comparable government or system of power. It begins as a fairly straightforward account of Orwell being called in to shoot a rogue elephant that has gone "must." However, there is a point in the story where the apparent balance of power shifts between Orwell, the British police officer with a gun, and the mass of unarmed villagers who have come to watch him shoot the elephant. It's a really interesting take on, in Orwell's words, "the real motives for which despotic governments act."

Both of those essays really shaped how I think about "power," both in its nature and application, which is a topic that continues to fascinate me. I hope other readers find them equally stimulating.

Yeah, Orwell’s essays are great, I’ve read a lot of them, including the Elephant one you posted. Though none of his longer non-fiction books, sadly. He’s a great writer to learn from (even though I habitually disregard his famous dictum “never use a long word where a short one will do. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out”)

Vaguely remember the Weil essay – I probably make a weak and/or obnoxious attempt of disagreeing with you.

So cool that you have writing students. What kind of stuff do you teach them? [still have to check out the John McPhee links]

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Wow, I'm really embarrassed that I just abandoned my own thread. Here is a very late response to Enchanted Rose and some new links.

Enchanted Rose said:
The famous construct in the books is that Proust is suddenly able to revive memories from his past – which he had hitherto forgotten – all owing to taste of a madeleine (rather than your clementine).
I had (ironically) no memory of the madeleine episode. In my defense, I only read "Un Amour de Swann," and I read it in French, and my French is terrible. So I appreciate you providing the links in English.

Enchanted Rose said:
Vaguely remember the Weil essay – I probably make a weak and/or obnoxious attempt of disagreeing with you.
As I recall, you accurately predicted many of her views yourself without reading it. But I find it a good essay to re-explore every so often.

Enchanted Rose said:
So cool that you have writing students. What kind of stuff do you teach them? [still have to check out the John McPhee links]
I was very lucky to teach a writing course for one year at a Chinese university. We had significant freedom to arrange our syllabus, and ended up focusing on narrative essays (we read George Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant"), argumentative essays, and descriptive writing (John McPhee's "Coming into the Country"); the next semester we wrote a research paper. It was challenging, and not just from the language aspect, but most of the students ended up doing pretty well and a handful of them wrote amazing essays and research papers.

For more non-fiction reading, I have recently gotten hooked on Aeon Magazine, an online magazine that publishes some pretty interesting essays on a wide range of topics. Check out their website here. Given my interest in China, I enjoy all of James Palmer's articles, but my favorite reading so far has been a piece by Robin Sloan, Return to Nib's Knoll, a charming history-cum-eulogy for creativity and writing on the early internet. It's not all backward-looking; Robin Sloan is a present-day writer (I'm thinking of checking out his novel, "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore") and the article reminds me of why I love writing and sharing on the internet, on places like KHI.

As if all that weren't good enough, Aeon also has a short doc-film section! I've just been slowly picking through these as I do the articles, but my favorite so far is probably Salim Baba, about what is probably the coolest portable cinema located in India. Check it and other films out--they usually range from 3 - 15 minutes.

Of course, the quality of both the essays and the short films varies, but give at least a few of them a try and you'll probably find something you like.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Thanks for the link to Aeon. Just read one article, but it was rather good.

There's just so much infotainment on the internet, and I'm becoming sick of 1) reading opinion pieces in supposedly really good newspapers that do nothing other than corroborate the views I already hold 2) TED talks that grossly oversimplify complex issues and create false epiphanies for the sake of sensationalism.

So yeah, good to see some proper essays ;)

Here's a question: What, do you think, is the point of non-fiction writing?

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Enchanted Rose said:
Here's a question: What, do you think, is the point of non-fiction writing?
I think it is the same as fiction, which is to take us from proverbial hammers or screwdrivers and make us into human beings. It broadens and diversifies our perspective of the universe. As Matthew Stover puts it, "If reality is the sum of our perceptions, to acquire more varying points of view is to acquire, literally, more reality."

Here is a piece that mixes things up a bit, because it is non-fiction talking about fiction.

It comes from the Omniscious Almanac, which is a blog that talks about so many topics that are so far outside my understanding that I don't know how to recommend it. However, this one particular article I did understand and can recommend without reservation. It is The Imaginary Library, and it talks about books within books or, even further, entire libraries within books and the wonders they hold. It's a great article that I found while looking up a passage from Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose (a novel referenced in the essay) and that led me to Jorge Luis Borges (a short story writer also heavily referenced). It starts with some pretty innocuous examples of libraries in books from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter to H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch-House, but leads us to the question of whether the words we use to recognize the universe have any real referents within the universe (as Borges asks in The Library of Babel, "You who read me--are you sure you understand my language?"). And if they do not, is there any point to fiction or non-fiction writing?

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm going to recommend a short speech that is currently quoted and linked to in my signature--Haruki Murakami, Always on the side of the egg. It is his 'acceptance speech' for the Jerusalem Prize in 2009. I have stated elsewhere that I am a huge fan of Murakami's fiction; I am also a fan of his non-fiction, though this is one of the only pieces I have read by him.

If, when you read this, the quote is no longer featured in my signature, the line I have taken (and taken to heart) from his speech is this: "Between a high, solid wall and an egg that breaks against it, I will always stand on the side of the egg."

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Fieldnotes from History

From my former professor and lifelong teacher, Rob LaFleur[1]:

"I don't think that enough has been said about how notes of all kinds 'change' over time or how people take notes about things that happened a long time ago. Don't get me wrong. It is not as though the library shelves are empty on these topics. It is just that I think much more needs to be said about it and--above all else--we need to see more examples of how people take notes. It is one of those "personal" things that tend not to be shared widely. There are reasons for this, not the least being that, well, it is personal. It remains just a little too mysterious, if you ask me, and every generation of historians and anthropologists (and other people who take notes) has to rediscover it for itself--one-by-one, alone and with little guidance."

I highly recommend reading the rest of Rob LaFleur's introduction, his own Fieldnotes from History, and pretty much anything else on his blog, Round and Square, updated daily.

What follows are some of my own "fieldnotes from history"... and by "history" I mean August 2009, my first semester abroad in China, and by "fieldnotes" I mean written assignments for our study abroad class which focused on exploring and experiencing the city of Kaifeng.

I've written and posted elsewhere a more comprehensive, polished, and nostalgic set of memoirs on a lot of these same experiences, but I just recently rediscovered the original notebook that I wrote my notes in as I walked through the streets or sat in a park observing the city around me... or (less romantically) sat in my dorm room late at night trying to remember what I hadn't written earlier that day, because I suck at taking notes.

Some of these observations still feel fairly accurate; some of them I cringe to read (this happens with all of my writing). I will, as far as possible, resist the temptation to explain, qualify, or apologize for any of these notes; just bear in mind that this first entry appears to have been written the day after I arrived in China. Okay, that's all, I promise....

All of these fieldnotes were written in August of 2009:

I do not have so vivid a memory as Ellen Underwood, and find myself unable to relate my experience in sequential images. The following is thus an attempt to give these experiences form thematically, starting with:

1) Italy: as I've already informed anyone willing to listen, the city brings to mind my lasting impression of Italy (a site I haven't revisited since I was twelve), an impression of chaos in movement. Cars darting in and out of barely-recognized lanes, vehicles of every other description doing the same, horns talking, pedestrians walking through the jumble as though blind; and all of this done with the most relaxed, natural attitude, as though on the streets of Kaifeng and Rome man has truly found his element. This impression of both cities is one of movement, of an essential fluidity that keeps the city's lifeblood circulating. It is also a freedom, bordering on chaos, that prevents objects from going static for too long. The paths of the city are very much alive to me.

2) Quiet places: in the midst of all this movement, there are fleeting scenes that seem to carry a different sense of timing with them, like pockets of eternity hidden in a world that changes by seconds. One such scene I recorded briefly in my notes walking--at a break in the road, I see a residential area - a guy is washing his feet from a bowl while geese walk nearby. In other quiet places I found the same sensation--a farmers market extending back into alleys choked with mud (it had been raining), vendors selling their wares from the backs of trucks and on top of tarps. I don't know why I got such a different sense of time in these scenes, but they were scenes where I was more intensely aware of individuals where they were and what they were doing at that second. Yifu Tuan defined place as "a pause in movement," and that is how I think I related to these quieter places.

3) Mixing it up:

a) Architecture: from a distance, what always fascinates me about old locales is old architecture, that idea of seeing history, and that's all I imagine in my mind thinking about it. When I get to the site, of course, I find what this imagination left out--the last few hundred years of human habitation, in effect, up to the present. Motorcars, dilapidated apartments, shops both modern and outdated. But seeing this, the divide between what I'd imagined and what I see doesn't really surprise me--as I wrote while walking, "it's a weird hybrid of what I imagined China to be and what I must have known it to be." Neither the old nor the (relatively) new seems out of place. You get the sense that it is what it is.

b) People: there aren't divisions based on wealth that I can find. People go through richer and poorer areas without seeming to notice. Not that they have much choice--to go from one to the other is the process of walking a block--and with the ever-present construction, it seems likely these blocks change on a regular basis. The result is that I didn't find any areas that, in America, I would identify as a "bad" area--there were areas with paved streets and areas with mud (again, it had been raining), areas where teenagers went into fancy shops and areas where kids played in the mud and trash, but it seemed as though there were a lot of the same people in both. There are a number of ways to reflect on this--first, there is no apparent ethnic divide in Kaifeng, which still seems present and defining in American cities. Of course, in American cities as well, there are people living in both the "good" and "bad" areas, so I'm not sure what the differentiation is there--if there is truly a difference in kind between these areas in Kaifeng and American cities, if there is a difference in perception of these areas by Chinese and Americans, or if I myself am only seeing it differently due to the newness of the situation.

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Fieldnotes from History

See the introduction above. All pronunciations and translations in [square brackets] are new, written specifically for this post.

All of these fieldnotes were written in August of 2009.

Tuesday, August 18th: Reading the City

initial concern: I'll have to reread Cresswell's text, but the emphasis on "ownership" of experience/environment interests and somewhat unsettles me--what are the ramifications of this "ownership"?

I traveled the same route, this time with a camera at hand, and attempted with words and pictures this time to capture images. The first image I knew I was looking for: 南門 [nanmen; South Gate], large, ornate, implacable. Two of the three gates consistently closed, cars bikes and walkers are all tunneled through one opening. The South Gate plays an integral role in my relationship with Kaifeng--it embodies almost all of Lynch's classifications, as path landmark boundary node and part of the "college district." On it is written, quite simply, 河南大學 [Henan Daxue; Henan University]. Looking at nearby text, it's clear the college's influence extends beyond the gate however--directly across the street is the 河大水上餐廳 [Heda Shuishang Canting] Henan College Cafeteria on the Water; the wall (seemingly freshly painted) proclaims in letters of bold red 河大書室,艺術高考培訓中心,大河美術 [Heda Huashi, Yishu Gaokao Peixun Zhongxin, Dahe Meishu]: Henan College music rooms, art test training center, Henan College art [this is a poor translation--a better one might be: Henan University Art Studios, College Art Entrance Exam Training Center, Yellow River Fine Arts; each of these is probably its own advertisement].

After this point I'm looking mostly at paths and what people make of them. The main road outside of South Gate is just that--a road, a path. (There is plenty of text, but almost all commercial in nature, which I don't bother following.) People travel along it going to other places. But the little road/alley (which turned out to be paved after all) that holds the farmers market is different--it is also a place, a miniature district of sorts, with semi-permanent stalls lining both sides and the city wall forming a border and a landfill on one. There is very little text here, but one sign seems to designate the street as a place for selling items. At the bend in the alley, this function of the street disappears, and it becomes residential, though in very poor condition.

At 東環北路 [Donghuan Beilu; East Ring North Road] I'm back at a street that's just a street again. The poorer area is blocked off by the stream I'm walking next to, bridged selectively at some places. Nothing much catches my eye until I reach the blue building, which I now can at least give a name to the resteraunt at the base of it, 菊園 [Juyuan], chrysanthemum park, and thus a greater sense of place. Crossing into the residential/vending area, signage again drops down. I'm curious now if the vendors who sell items also live on (next to) this street. I can't find a road name.

I find two of my first gated communities, 盛达铁合金厂 (cheng da tie he qin chang) - a metal provider [in fact, the pronunciation given here is incorrect--it should be Shengda Tiehejin Chang; Shengda Iron Alloy Yard, so not a "gated community" at all].

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Fieldnotes from History

See the introduction above.

For this assignment (maybe 3 days in?) we were given the picture of a location with no accompanying information; we then had to go find it, learn what it was, and report back to the class. This was mine:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I'll go ahead and include the other pictures I took at the site. Most of them are referenced in the fieldnote below.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

All of these footnotes were written in August of 2009.

- very poor area/neighborhood
- near to large, nicely kept public park
- 10 yuan entrance fee
- most people seemingly don't know exact location

Physical description
- currently 36.68 m tall, covering 501.6 m2
- hexagonal structure in all instances
- two chambers apparent on first story
- larger contains 觀音 [Guanyin] Buddha, offering box, prayer mats, and gifts(?) to the Buddha, as well as passages to stairs
- smaller contains images of Buddha(s), prayer box, three prayer mats, Song dynasty tablets recording scriptures + donor lists
- stairways very dark, lead to two "landings" on second floor overlooking city, lead to top chamber on 3rd floor
- 3rd floor chamber has no embelishments, only a single prayer mat and a passage overlooking city
- 7000 buddha images, over 100 types, supposedly all idiosyncratic
- out in front, box for incense sticks - fire safety?

Text
- opening gate 繁塔[?]保管[?]
po ta () () bao guan suo(?)

- on incense box: 有球必应 / 功德無量
you qiu bi yin / gong de wu liang
have troubles certainly should / meritous deeds measureless

Interactions

- 3 young men, maybe 30s, look well-off (drive up in nice car), very friendly, show academic interest, walk around + through entire structure, seemingly first visit, perform rites of bowing and lighting incense, leave

- 1 young woman, very knowledgeable of site, knows some English, shows young men around, does not participate in rites; I take her for a guide, but she seemingly leaves with the visitors

- old lady, poorer, comes with grocery bags, not very mobile but traverses outside of temple then enters and bows; involves me a bit, or just wants to know time, explains a bit about the site, after praying sits in chamber and seems to fiddle w/ groceries

- young child + mother, both perform a few rites, child very active in chamber, mother seems to have movement troubles, financial situation?

- "guard" at door, changes shifts, not much interaction

- ticket seller, knowledgeable of site when asked

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Fieldnotes from History

See the introduction above.

This fieldnote touches on ideas of "authenticity" in Kaifeng's past and present, ideas that would travel with me throughout my stay in China. When I came back to my college a year later, I gave a presentation titled "(In)authentic China: The Difficulties of Finding Identity in the Former Imperial Capital Kaifeng."

Millennium Park is an "historical theme park" located in Kaifeng. It represents the city as it existed in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127 CE), when Kaifeng was the capital of China.

All of these fieldnotes were written in August of 2009.

To note-- I did not actually succeed in taking fieldnotes at Millennium Park. The only writing I left the park with was on the back of my notebook by a little girl writing her and her mother's name in an enthusiastic response to show-up my scrawled Chinese characters of my own name. I also conversed with this family, and bridged many cultural divides, such as the four-year old's assumption that all Americans were naturally blond, but I did not glean from them the complex relationship among past, present, and future in Kaifeng.

Because of this, I need to set apart some space at the beginning to respond to Emerson et al on the subject of fieldnotes in "ethnographic research" (sic). The reason Emerson et al consider this term legitimate is because they conflate the process of ethnology and ethnography in stating that the writing of fieldnotes is the realization, perhaps even the creation, of the human meaning and value that ethnology seeks. And he puts out some excellent points to orient the writer of such notes. This to me is remarkably close to how Yifu Tuan and Campbell both relate to place, of location given human meaning and value through direct experience.

With these lenses, I think one can see the significance of Millennium Park beneath its veneer of inauthenticity. I'm not in a position to say whether the historical content was accurate or not--one could argue that is beside the point. Perhaps the point of the park is that looking off the high, curved bridge at the junks settled in the water is picturesque against the backdrop of traditional Chinese architecture, or that some gates truly dwarf you and hundreds of others passing under them together, or that performers dressed in traditional garb will do life-threatening tricks to titillate a crowd of t-shirt wearing, modern tourists. The point then would be, not to represent a place-and-time for people, but to create a place and time for them with all the meaning and value that carries with it. As with Emerson's fieldnotes, it is not the objective recording of the time but the subjective translation/creation of it; as with Yifu Tuan, it is not the physical properties of the place but the sensory and emotional experience of it. A ridiculously curved bridge that you have to struggle to surmount (with stairs at the side for convenience), old-style architecture that could have been built less than a year ago, and performers whose dangerous acts may inform us more about our own entertainment than anything historical all come together to create this time and place that is perhaps patterned off of Song-dynasty Kaifeng but is uniquely Millennium Park.

Having said this, I admit that the park did not evoke a great effect for me (that is, I did not enter into a different world by virtue of Millennium Park's settings and shows). What evoked a significantly stronger effect was the construction taking place in the city proper, the gentrifying and reconstruction of vast parts of the city--again informed by certain images of Kaifeng's past but again taking on its own existence. Seeing the work of modern construction did not interrupt at all the sight of the wide river-way, with a ferry travelling through and a beautiful docking station. This was a truly different vision of Kaifeng. I loved it. It was beautiful, it was graceful, it at least looked somewhat practical. It was, interestingly enough, what I liked to imagine the bright side of imperial China to be.

I see Millennium Park and Kaifeng's reconstruction as products of the present, and I think both in their own ways are different imaginations and creations of this present. I do find it significant that these imaginations are so much informed by Kaifeng's past, and finally I wonder how this orientation will shape Kaifeng's future.

End Note (4-5-2015) -- the creation of new "old-style" attractions in Kaifeng continues today. The canal system I reference above is (to the best of my knowledge) now complete, and a number of other locations around the city have been "updated" to look like they might date back to the 10th-12th centuries CE.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back