• Hello KHInsider Forum Members! Please hide all spoilers and discussion for Final Fantasy VII Remake in a spoiler tag, keep all titles spoiler-free, and do not share any videos/streams/images prior to April 9th 9pm Pacific Time. Anybody who fails to comply will be banned immediately for a week.

Are divided fanbases harder to please?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
  • 15th Anniversary
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX
Before I go in, I understand blind loyalty or blindly hating something are just as bad. You gotta point out the good and bad because no videogame/movie/TV show is perfect.

Now that's out of the way, I'm talking about a fanbase that genuinely enjoy a game/movie vs the ones that doesn't genuinely enjoy it. Probably the biggest example is kingdom hearts 3. It's the definition of a 50/50 fanbase. While yes you can dislike something because you have valid compliants that needs to be addressed, the other half still genuinely enjoys despite it's flaws. Heck even fans that genuinely enjoy something might actually like the flaws(what could be a flaw to some could amazing to others, fillers are a big example of this).

I'm not good at explaining, so I may have missed a few points in my own arguments. But nonetheless, this could be a problem because if both sides genuinely enjoys/dislikes something, it's going to be hard to find a balance.

Too long; didn't read- If both sides of a fanbase becomes 50/50(genuine dislike/genuine enjoyment), it's going to be hard to please people in those fandom.

Rodin

Awards
It's hard to please everyone so being a creative person is like being a gambler. Sometimes you have to just take a guess and hope it works out.

Honestly, most fanbases that last are gonna be divided and you can't really avoid it. Or the internet makes it harder to let certain beliefs go.

Absent

More machine than man
Awards
It’s a byproduct of fandom and internet culture. I’m more of the opinion that it’s not a matter of how or why, but when. Once a community reaches a certain point, extremes will form. Best thing to do is to focus on what makes you happy and ignore/mute others who bring down your experience.

Veevee

Awards
  • Red Travels the Farthest
  • Luna Diviner
  • Flurry of Dancing Flames
  • Savage Nymph
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Unicornis Union
It's difficult, I guess. There are times when fanbases are divided over concrete decisions (e.g. round-based battle vs. action battle); and others where some part of the fandom is just way more lenient than the other. In a lot of cases publishers do good when they stick to the core essence of their stuff, whatever that is. Dragon Quest, for example, is not a shining example of novelty, but it knows that it tries to appeal to turn-based combat lovers and sticks with that. The Sonic the Hedgehog series on the other hand has felt all over the place in recent years and its criticism is less about individual games and more about the games not getting fundamental things right ... Sonic is to be the fastest hedgehog in the world, so people kind of expect to rush through levels, instead games like "The Lost World" felt slow, sloggy, with terrible controls and like a half-baked attempt. That game was pretty, though, so the fans probably would've been much happier to play it in a classic way.

Another problem is that sometimes fanbases don't get that a game is not for them and that it doesn't make the game bad. I love farming simulator relaxing games like Stardew Valley, but Story of Seasons wasn't my cup of tea. People love that game though, so I shouldn't assume it's bad - I just have some very concrete issues with it that don't bother other people as much. I can still play tons of other games of the genre, so no need to get hung up on this.