• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The status of hero

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sarius

Awards
I understand the whole Phil voice actor thing, but was anyone else disappointed that Sora, Donald, and Goofy never graduated from junior heroes? Lol

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
I always took it as the Gods rearranging the sky to have them as constellations was their confirmation/graduation.
Welcome ^______^

NoWay

Awards
Why didn’t Phil have any line in KH3?

I really missed playing some training mini games in KH3. :(

Sarius

Awards
Why didn’t Phil have any line in KH3?

I really missed playing some training mini games in KH3. :(
Its traditional in Japanese culture when a voice actor dies, that they aren't replaced. It's like honoring them. The voice actor for both the Japanese and I think the English too, passed away. So they didn't give Phil any lines. Something like that, you get the idea. Maybe someone can explain it better.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
Its traditional in Japanese culture when a voice actor dies, that they aren't replaced. It's like honoring them. The voice actor for both the Japanese and I think the English too, passed away. So they didn't give Phil any lines. Something like that, you get the idea. Maybe someone can explain it better.

No, just the Japanese actor. Robert Cosanzo (English Phil) is still alive.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It was very weird. It was one of the reasons why I was really looking forward to a true Olympus follow up.

what’s weird is they followed that tradition for the Disney characters but not for the original characters, as the VAs that passed away between Dream Drop Distance and Kh3 were replaced. I get that they’re important but in a game that focuses so heavily on Disney, that should be important too.

Though Disney is dragging it’s feet with announcing Russi Taylor’s replacement for Minnie Mouse (The Simpsons only announced her replacement for Martin, Sherri, and Terri last Sunday) which is unusual for the Western Branch, so maybe finding replacements isn’t a priority these days.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
what’s weird is they followed that tradition for the Disney characters but not for the original characters, as the VAs that passed away between Dream Drop Distance and Kh3 were replaced. I get that they’re important but in a game that focuses so heavily on Disney, that should be important too.

I mean, Mickey is an integral character. He has to speak. Phil doesn't.

Sarius

Awards
No, just the Japanese actor. Robert Cosanzo (English Phil) is still alive.
Maybe I was just thinking of the Xehanort voice actors then. I couldn't remember if both of Phil's were alive or not.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I mean, Mickey is an integral character. He has to speak. Phil doesn't.
Mickey Mouse’s Japanese voice actor didn’t die. Only his English voice actor did and that was prior to Birth by Sleep.

I’m sticking by my stance from the last ten months. If a character in a Disney world was integral to the movie storyline and was important enough to either use in KH before or use in KH3, then they should have been voiced. Phil being mute goes against his outlandish, outspoken character and it does the world in the game a disservice.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Its traditional in Japanese culture when a voice actor dies, that they aren't replaced. It's like honoring them. So they didn't give Phil any lines. Something like that, you get the idea. Maybe someone can explain it better.

Cultural thing or not, the show must go on. Phil's japanese voice actor passed away in 2014 and KH3 came out in 2019... I can't really agree with their decision here because of that.

May as well only show him on the credits, because seeing such a big mouth character like him silent was weird.

AR829038

Awards
It was very weird. It was one of the reasons why I was really looking forward to a true Olympus follow up.

Though Disney is dragging it’s feet with announcing Russi Taylor’s replacement for Minnie Mouse (The Simpsons only announced her replacement for Martin, Sherri, and Terri last Sunday) which is unusual for the Western Branch, so maybe finding replacements isn’t a priority these days.
With the OG characters, the only one whose Japanese VA passed away that I can think of was Master Xehanort. And they HAD to replace him because he's the main antagonist, and they can't get away with the silent treatment. Not only that, but they probably felt more comfortable replacing him because they were literally replacing him with the VA's own son, which is still honoring him in a different way, so it's kosher.
Phil's character just wasn't important enough to flout that tradition, so here we have mute Phil. It sucks, but I don't blame them. I'd rather they do what they feel they need to to respect the man's life than dishonor him by replacing him just for a throwaway line about SDG being real heroes.

NoWay

Awards
I don’t think it has anything to do with dishonoring someone if they replace Phil’s VA with a new one. It’s just sometimes bad things happen, but you can’t mute a character forever for all languages.
I mean, it may sound a little harsh and I really feel sorry for the family but you can’t just “delete” Phil’s existence. It doesn’t work like that. SE and Disney need to go on as everyone does in today’s world. Also, Phil’s original VA is an English VA and not a Japanese one..

Sarius

Awards
I don’t think it has anything to do with dishonoring someone if they replace Phil’s VA with a new one. It’s just sometimes bad things happen, but you can’t mute a character forever for all languages.
I mean, it may sound a little harsh and I really feel sorry for the family but you can’t just “delete” Phil’s existence. It doesn’t work like that. SE and Disney need to go on as everyone does in today’s world. Also, Phil’s original VA is an English VA and not a Japanese one..
It's part of their culture. I personally don't understand it either, but it is what it is. Kingdom hearts is a Japanese game. I assume that Hercules world is over with anyway starting with the next game. Just my guess.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Phil is easily one of my favorite parts of the Olympus Coliseum in every game it appears in. I was so sad he didn't get to talk and acknowledge Sora, Donald and Goofy as true heroes. Because that's been a storyline dating back to KH1 and KH3 felt like the perfect place to have it's conclusion. Who knows if we'll ever go back. I know it's a minor thing, but I enjoy character interactions the most in these games so I was certainly sad about mute Phil. Part of me kinda wanted Phil out of the game period if he wasn't going to talk. I mean Pain and Panic didn't return for KH3. I know they are far less important characters in the KH universe but still.

Sarius

Awards
Phil is easily one of my favorite parts of the Olympus Coliseum in every game it appears in. I was so sad he didn't get to talk and acknowledge Sora, Donald and Goofy as true heroes. Because that's been a storyline dating back to KH1 and KH3 felt like the perfect place to have it's conclusion. Who knows if we'll ever go back. I know it's a minor thing, but I enjoy character interactions the most in these games so I was certainly sad about mute Phil. Part of me kinda wanted Phil out of the game period if he wasn't going to talk. I mean Pain and Panic didn't return for KH3. I know they are far less important characters in the KH universe but still.
I was also expecting a conclusion. I don't know. I know kh3 will have dlc, but there were a lot of things I was expecting that didn't end up happening. The phil hero thing, The cloud and Sephiroth story for examples. People brought up a decent point though about the constellations and if that's all we end up getting, I'm satisfied with that. Hercules has been in each of the games and especially now that they can't use phil anymore, they might just retire the world. It looks like the next game might even be more about FF style but that's just a guess.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Hercules has been in each of the games and especially now that they can't use phil anymore, they might just retire the world.
Nomura likes Hades too much (despite James Woods and the issues surrounding him, another signal of the cultural difference between the Japanese and English VAs) so I wouldn't count Olympus out from any future game:

—Among the worlds of KH3, Olympus is a constant that has appeared in nearly every game in the series so far. Do you have particular feelings towards it?

Nomura: There isn't really a reason for that, it's honestly just by chance. I mean, the reason it appears in KH3 is simply because it made for a perfect beginning to the journey: Sora going to visit a hero who had once regained lost powers, in order to try and regain his own. If I were to say I had particular feelings about it, I'd say that I love having Hades appear. He's a very funny character, and I start wanting to watch him moving about.

Lord+Bastion

phil being mute is obviously a sign of remorse or of tribute to the voice actor, "taking a moment pf silence" ...m4y63?

Back