• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

1Up PREVIEW of KH2 Import

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dexter

Re: 1up hands on with kh2 *Spiolers*

They said the texture on Roxas body and clothes look lousy and the crowd for the struggle looks sparce.

Drama Setter

DaDides
Awards

Shit Roxas was way 2 skinny. That kept annyoing me when I watched the first 2 cutscenes (didn't watch the others).

sorixed

Dattebayo!

Well so far i read they said the game is beutiful but then they said bhk's hands and body looks lousy (i realized his hands in the cutscenes too) yeah i expected bhk's body to be little bit bigger like in the official art drawing ......but that was a drawing though

Last edited:

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
=) Great find, nice to see a thread that doesnt contain spoilers, yet still has in depth info on KH2!

I'll read the preview and post my opinions in a bit!

Wow! Very nicely written! Good things ahead for KH2!

Last edited:

Xehsin

?bergod
Graphics Clan: -=+*FDD*+=- Currently: Web Designin
t's been in the works for ages, but Kingdom Hearts II is finally out in Japan. The U.S. release is still a nebulous "sooner or later (probably later)," though, so to bide our time we've snagged a copy from overseas. Based on our first few hours of gameplay, the game is in some ways exactly what we expected -- and in others, nothing at all like we figured.

For starters, the opening of the game is surprisingly lengthy. Where the first game's prelude at Destiny Beach lasted but 20 minutes, we're nearly three hours into the game and have yet to make it to a single Disney world. Also surprising is the fact that main character (at least for this section of the game) isn't Sora but a young man named Roxas (or possibly "Rocksauce," depending on how you want to translate it).

There's clearly a connection between the two heroes; not only do they look similar, but Roxas constantly experiences flashes of the previous game. Furthermore, he frequently comes under attack by white Heartless variants called Nobodies and undergoes his own Keyblade acquisition trial... only the stained glass imagery for Roxas' trial isn't of Disney princesses but rather of Sora. The light/dark contrast extends to the characters themselves; Roxas has light hair rather than Sora's brown, and his jacket is white to Sora's black. It remains to be seen what their full connection is. Is Roxas simply Sora with a dye job and amnesia, or is he Raiden to Sora's Snake?

KH2 draws as much from last year's Chain of Memories as it does the original game. DiZ and Ansem conspire together, with Ansem repeatedly materializing just long enough to swipe important tokens from Roxas -- train fare, a jewel from his tournament trophy. These cutscenes are accompanied by a computerized voice announcing the progress of some mysterious process. Another Chain of Memories character, Naminé, also puts in several enigmatic appearances, but in a much more beneficial capacity. She appears in times of struggle to guide Roxas and grant him the powers he needs to overcome dangerous obstacles.
[click the image to check out all Kingdom Hearts II screens]

Also reappearing is the evil-ish organization XIII. In fact, the game begins with two of its shrouded members conversing on a beach, and Axel attacks Roxas after he bests Vivi in the Struggle tournament. DiZ and the XIII are clearly at odds, battling one another and seemingly vying for control over Roxas.

More importantly, KH2 features fan service in abundance. We've yet to encounter the merest hint of Disney outside of flashbacks and the opening teaser, which hints at new additions like Tron and the taciturn wizard from The Sorcerer's Apprentice. On the other hand, the Final Fantasy cameos are out in full force. Designer Tetsuya Nomura has even braced up and acknowledged the existence of characters he didn't create, although he did feel the need to add zippers and buckles to their costumes. This means that in addition to FFVIII's Garden Discipline Committee (Seifer, Raijin and Fujin) and Selphie (now wearing a schoolgirl uniform for maximum loli appeal), we're also treated to fan favorites like FFIX's hapless black mage Vivi and FFVI's airborne gambler, Setzer. Naturally, each character brings along his or her distinct idioms; Setzer's face is criss-crossed with scars, Seifer calls Roxas a "chicken-wuss" and babbles about his "romantic dreams," and Fujin speaks only in single words.

The gameplay is definitely drawn from the first Kingdom Hearts, although visibly refined. While the controls are largely the same, the much-hated camera is far less spastic and confusing than in the original.

A far more significant addition is a new dodge move mapped to the Triangle button, which also enables Shenmue-like combat events. In normal combat, tapping Triangle at the appropriate moment allows Roxas to dodge attacks and slip behind foes, leaving them momentarily defenseless as they pause to see where he's gone. It's even more significant during the Keyblade trial boss fight -- the massive Nobody boss uses several powerful, scripted attacks. Proper use of the Triangle button allows Roxas to dodge these actions and counterattack when caught in the boss' inescapable grip. Without using this skill to dodge the boss' constant, lingering, arena-filling lightning attacks, Roxas can't survive for long. But with proper timing he can dodge the boss' techniques, closing the gap and moving in for the kill. It's an intriguing addition to the game, and as long as boss battles don't become exercises in pattern memorization and dodge-timing, should add a helpful layer of substance to KH's often shallow button-mashing.

Needless to say, the game looks amazing, although it's easy to see where the PS2 is wheezing with age. Crowd scenes are unconvincingly sparse and some of the textures -- including a few featured prominently on Roxas' body and hands -- look pretty lousy. On the other hand, the framerate is solid, the colors are vivid and it's all generally lovely. Musically, Yoko Shimomura's score is excellent as usual, and the Japanese voice acting is generously placed and well-performed (hopefully a sign of things to come for the English version, whenever that manages to make it out).

We clearly have a long way to go in the game, but so far it plays well and casts an intriguing mystery. Expect a comprehensive write-up after the long weekend once we've seen more of what KH2 has to offer. In the meantime, check out our batch of freshly-uploaded videos.

^Here you go bro.:D

Puck

THE GHOST ELF of LONG BEACH
Judging from reading all that, I can definitely say that KH2 is going to get a 8.0 or a 7.9 at Gamespot, a 9.0 at IGN, and terrible 3 out of 5 on X-Play( Webb and Sessler are going to destroy this game with insults. They already said several times that they hate games with long cutscenes like Snake Eater and since KH2 has no bada** M rated stuff in it, it's going get it worst. I might not even watch that episode because the bashing is going to be too immense). Yep, I think Square is terrified to release it in NA. They know that 80% of NA gamers like their games realistic, gritty, violent, flashy M rated, and downright dark with flashy graphics. This game isn't going last in NA. It's going to do better in Europe.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
King Sora_Strife said:
Judging from reading all that, I can definitely say that KH2 is going to get a 8.0 or a 7.9 at Gamespot, a 9.0 at IGN, and terrible 3 out of 5 on X-Play( Webb and Sessler are going to destroy this game with insults. They already said several times that they hate games with long cutscenes like Snake Eater and since KH2 has no bada** M rated stuff in it, it's going get it worst. I might not even watch that episode because the bashing is going to be too immense). Yep, I think Square is terrified to release it in NA. They know that 80% of NA gamers like their games realistic, gritty, violent, flashy M rated, and downright dark with flashy graphics. This game isn't going last in NA. It's going to do better in Europe.

Your kidding right? KH1 was a major SUCCESS in the US.

kairi77

Website
www.myspace.com
yeah the fact that kh1 did so well is what is going to make kh2 do well and get better ratings. everyone went into kingdom hearts thinking it was going to be stupid because it involveld disney... man was everyone surprised when they found out how great this game was. It did great in stores... i was talking to some people who work at a local vid game store and they say that KH was one of the most requested games for the past few years... and now that they have started taking reserves for kh2... they say that it is one of the most reserved games they have... even though there is no clear cut release date....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back