• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS Dark Road launches on June 22nd!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Yep, that's it. It didn't seem intentional to me after Chirithy spends the entire novel avoiding any gender-specific pronouns and the like, and then suddenly a random character drops a "he" or "boy."
Good to know, I thought that was strange. Now I can return to Strelitizia being bi.

Foxycian

Awards
This game is basically Kh Com+final fantasy, this turn-based gameplay style is actually more fun and suitable in this art style.

D

Deleted member 252753

Yep, that's it. It didn't seem intentional to me after Chirithy spends the entire novel avoiding any gender-specific pronouns and the like, and then suddenly a random character drops a "he" or "boy."
It gets me really annoyed that official translations, which we pay for, contain mistakes like this. It makes a big difference and if it weren't for this site I wouldn't even know that the gendering of Player was a mistake. And occasionally I will suddenly learn about a problem with a translation in the main games as well, and have to then look at a bit of dialogue in a different way. I kinda wish we could have a Goldpanner version of everything lol.

Violet Pluto

Awards
Nope, Kanemaki did her best to keep the Player's identity hidden. No name, no gender, nothing (although Yen Press did slip up a few times in the official localization).
It gets me really annoyed that official translations, which we pay for, contain mistakes like this. It makes a big difference and if it weren't for this site I wouldn't even know that the gendering of Player was a mistake. And occasionally I will suddenly learn about a problem with a translation in the main games as well, and have to then look at a bit of dialogue in a different way. I kinda wish we could have a Goldpanner version of everything lol.
Eh, let me play Devil's Advocate here for a second. English is a very sexed-language. When the Normans took over England and mixed French, Latin, and Greek into a mostly Germanic language we lost most of our non-sex specific pronouns which in the long run led to a lack of them in the modern day. The fact that we don't have as many as Japanese is why when translating from Japanese to English for a person of uncertain gender we often have phrases such as "That Person", "Them" "That Child" or "That Guy" in places where it sounds clunky and unnatural in English but would sound totally fine in Japanese.

When writing or translating, a large amount of the time you are working off of the best constructed versions of the translation and what sounds the most natural in a given language is often the version that makes it through which can allow for small mistakes like this to get passed through even if not technically the intention of the author. These are just a small amount of problems that are easy to trip up on in translation. I understand that you might expect more for a product you paid for, but the translation quality isn't always going to be consistent (especially because more often than not more than one translator works on it) and language foibles aren't going away soon which can make the job harder.

I typed all this when I could have said it all in a much smaller post. Being VP is suffering.

D

Deleted member 252753

Eh, let me play Devil's Advocate here for a second. English is a very sexed-language. When the Normans took over England and mixed French, Latin, and Greek into a mostly Germanic language we lost most of our non-sex specific pronouns which in the long run led to a lack of them in the modern day. The fact that we don't have as many as Japanese is why when translating from Japanese to English for a person of uncertain gender we often have phrases such as "That Person", "Them" "That Child" or "That Guy" in places where it sounds clunky and unnatural in English but would sound totally fine in Japanese.

When writing or translating, a large amount of the time you are working off of the best constructed versions of the translation and what sounds the most natural in a given language is often the version that makes it through which can allow for small mistakes like this to get passed through even if not technically the intention of the author. These are just a small amount of problems that are easy to trip up on in translation. I understand that you might expect more for a product you paid for, but the translation quality isn't always going to be consistent (especially because more often than not more than one translator works on it) and language foibles aren't going away soon which can make the job harder.

I typed all this when I could have said it all in a much smaller post. Being VP is suffering.
Thanks for the informative reply. I can understand that it's difficult to keep the intended meaning while producing natural-looking English, which I guess is the most important thing for a piece of entertainment. And I wouldn't blame the individual translators as I'm sure they don't receive enough time and money to do a thorough job.

GreyouTT

Awards
It's tomorrow!

hzG7uRY.gif

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Does Japan get it first? Would we get a glimpse of it tonight?
Yes, Japan maintenance ends 3.5 hours before Global does. Granted, it will be VERY late so if you're in the US, I wouldn't suggest staying up for it.

Katsagu

Awards
I'm actually excited for this. I'm going to do my best and try to keep up with it. Hope this games story is a bit better paced than UX. But I'm not holding my breath.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Will YOU be staying up for the KHI update? If so, here's some coffee and love and appreciation. ☕

It'll be comfortable morning in my time zone. I can't wait!

I'll be up as long as I can! Not sure how much story content will be available at launch, so we'll see how it goes :D

And thank you! Glad to be able to experience the launch with you guys <3

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
But it's already 8 AM in Japan. Does that mean the game comes out mid-day? I'm in EDT timezone.
I just wanna clear up that your post was made at 4:11 am JST, not at 8am JST. You're thinking it's four hours further ahead than it actually is :)

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Just wondering, do you want us to spoiler tag our story discussion for Dark Road?

Back