• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one that though the the first had a terrible storyline?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

magic713

Awards
αsiя;4856746 said:
im still in shock that sora's best friend sort of betrayed him (well thats what i thought when i was little)
It's amazing that Riku trusted Maleficient over his best friend. For one thing, he has been friends with Sora for years, while he had just met Maleficient. And secondly...does Maleficient look like the kind of person that you would be willing to trust so easily.

SilverCyrus

It's amazing that Riku trusted Maleficient over his best friend. For one thing, he has been friends with Sora for years, while he had just met Maleficient. And secondly...does Maleficient look like the kind of person that you would be willing to trust so easily.

Maleficent did take care of him when he was lost and had no where to go.
Aside from her appearance she may have seemed nice enough to trust.

destinykh

The Troll
Awards
Sinking into the light with a heart of pure darkne
Yes, KH2 had amazing plot ideas which it ATTEMPTED, keyword, ATTEMPTED to conceive, but failed miserably. The pacing was off as most of the game's focus was on the carbon copies of the Disney movies, then the writers crammed every single important plot detail in the last world, leaving for a confusing experience as a lot of plot threads were left dangling. And some of the Organization, amazing concept though they were, are reduced to random villians encountered across the various worlds. Plus the inexplicable absences of Namine and DiZ for most of the story and whose character developments are left to the imagination. And don't get me started on the awkward and corny dialogue, especially in the Disney worlds. And I don't get why people say KH2 is darker. Darker in that there are character deaths maybe, but hardly a darker atmosphere, since the Organization's motives of being human wasn't touched upon nearly enough to pull on my heartstrings.

KH1's plot ideas pale in comparison to KH2, but it was conceived beautifully. It is a little ridiculous to judge a game's emotional content after playing it through numerous times, since any story, no matter how emotional, will be stale after repeated viewings. First impressions matter a lot when it comes to games IMO. KH1 hit all the right notes, KH2 fell flat. KH2 had the potential to be amazing, but the way it is pulled off leaves a LOT to be desired.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
Yes, KH2 had amazing plot ideas which it ATTEMPTED, keyword, ATTEMPTED to conceive, but failed miserably. The pacing was off as most of the game's focus was on the carbon copies of the Disney movies, then the writers crammed every single important plot detail in the last world, leaving for a confusing experience as a lot of plot threads were left dangling. And some of the Organization, amazing concept though they were, are reduced to random villians encountered across the various worlds. Plus the inexplicable absences of Namine and DiZ for most of the story and whose character developments are left to the imagination. And don't get me started on the awkward and corny dialogue, especially in the Disney worlds. And I don't get why people say KH2 is darker. Darker in that there are character deaths maybe, but hardly a darker atmosphere, since the Organization's motives of being human wasn't touched upon nearly enough to pull on my heartstrings.

KH1's plot ideas pale in comparison to KH2, but it was conceived beautifully. It is a little ridiculous to judge a game's emotional content after playing it through numerous times, since any story, no matter how emotional, will be stale after repeated viewings. First impressions matter a lot when it comes to games IMO. KH1 hit all the right notes, KH2 fell flat. KH2 had the potential to be amazing, but the way it is pulled off leaves a LOT to be desired.

plus, Kingdom Hearts 2 was gay. Like really gay. Not in the slang term gay, I mean gay in the sense that RuPaul is gay.

khfreak17

In my own little world, hiding from the monster ca
Website
waytotwilight.deviantart.com
the first game is WAY better than the second one. i agree with most of the people here. the second one kind of got off track and crap like that. It felt like it wasnt following the storyline as well as i should've had. the first one was very straight-forward and it was challenging. it actually took me more than 5 days to beat that. the second one, i finished in 3 days. see the difference?

all in all, the first is WAYYYY better than the second.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
You got to be kidding me. The second was better? Also, who cares about this so called "realism" or whatever you call it? Were the worlds of KH2 connected as well as KH1's? No. Was there a decent driving force or at least as good as KH1's? No. Honestly, KH2's story seems to lack in about everything that made KH1's a classic. Then there's the complaint about the Disney characters and bosses. Besides a few of them, I really liked most of them. Most of the villains were well thought out and didn't come off as being in there for the sake of the movie's storyline. Jafar and Maleficent were by far the best ones though. I don't care what Disney haters think. Maleficent's role in KH1 is one of the best roles of the series imo. KH2 damaged her reputation badly though. I really do hope that BBS restores it to its proper place.. and Pete vanishes or turns good shortly after the start of KH3.

I'm going to pretend their involvement in Coded didn't happen.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I tend to find that people who like KH2 and dislike KH1 are mostly morons.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I think I like both games equally for different reasons. In KH1 the gameplay was awesome, and I thought better than KH2`s. I think the storyline`s in both games were both very good, but KH2`s was more confusing to me, and I like it when the storyline confuses me because then I have more to think about.

Awkward Squid

Alot of people think the first kh had a horrible storyline

That's odd, seeing as the majority of the members seem to prefer KH1 over all the other KH games...

IMO KH1 seemed to be more challenging; and the fact that there wasn't any 'triangle-happy' buttons made it that much better. KH2 basically took that all away by adding so many reaction commands (along with the drives-which I am somewhat fine with...). Plus the KH1 Sora was more limited when it came to keyblade swings; I'm guessing to around 5 hits if you're in the air? But the Kh2 Sora could have up to 20+ swings, which made it ridiculously easy...

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
While the basic concept of KH1's storyline was fairly simple, the way in which the developers carried it out was what made it far better than KH2, which lacked the first's emotion/general quality because by that time, Kingdom Hearts was already an established name among gamers. When the first Kingdom Hearts was being developed, every last ounce of effort was put into it in order to make the game as perfect as it could be, because they only had one shot at making a good game.

*~BlackCat~*

Honestly, I think KH 1 is better than KH 2, KH 2 to me was badly written and it just made it suck. Since Obviously, KH 1's dialouge was suppose to kiddish because the game was aimed toward a young audience.

Last edited:
A

Azrael

Don't get me wrong, I like the first one a lot. When I first got it I adored it because of it's strong emotional punch and mixture of dark atmosphere and a child-like innocence (the pseudo-suicide scene and the ending made me break a tear, no joke). But playing it again, now that the emotional effect has worn out, I realized that it really is quite bad. Game-play wise it's better than 2, no contest; you actually had to use strategy and the bosses were challenging (Oh God the Sephiroth battle!)

Whilst the second wasn't perfect (Maleficent turning into a joke, the Heartless inexplicably returning), at the very least it sported more intricacy and had some meat on it's bones. Diz's want for revenge (or "revenggggggggggggge" as he puts it), the Organization's motives and want to become human, all felt more thoughtful and gave the game a sense of realism that the first game didn't have. It felt like every plot point in the first game could be described with some lame vague cliche like "he gave into the darkness," or "he lost his heart." It didn't feel real to me. I nearly puked out vomit when possesed Riku told Sora in his serious dark voice that Kairi's heart was inside Sora. Yikes, could you get anymore cliche? And the balance between Square and Disney was way off kilter. The only Square characters were the three main ones, Sora, riku and Kairi and even they struck me as more Disney-eque to me. Ansem was a mature threatening Square villain, but by the time he showed up after hoards of Disney characters it was too little too late.

A lot of people say the first had a better story and I simply don't see it. I still love the first one because of it's unqiue blend of Final Fantasy and Disney motifs, but the story doesn't really start star until the second one (haven't played Chain of Memories)

You sir fail. The first was the best one in the series.

Awards
I'm not "with you" per se, The Dude Abides. Well, actually, I'm not at all if you think KH1 is terrible. But I think some know me here as a defender of KH2, something I gave up on a long time ago. No sense in even bringing it up when frankly, it never ends well.

Let's put it this way, I've always said that the second KH was on par with the first, and I still stand by that, though I absolutely disagree with you that the first was "terrible."
Plain and short, KH1 is put on a pedal by nostalgic apologists, and there's a deep-seated hate of KH2 (for multiple reasons, some valid, some not so much) to the point where it is regarded as an absolute shit fest. While I can certainly believe the view that KH1 is superior to KH2, the stark contrast that has been painted between the two installments is so striking, it's ludicrous. That much of a gap, to me at least, is impossible when the titles are so similar. The hate was generated in part by the anticipation. The longer it took for KH2 to come out, the more excited people got and, conversely, KH1, which had never really had any hype surrounding it in the first place, became more ingrained in nostalgic memory.

In its defense, KH1 holds a place in my heart that KH2 could never reach, but that is entirely an effect of nostalgia. Even a quantifiably "better" Kingdom Hearts game in the future could not be as special to me in that regard (an example of this would be in the Pokemon series, where in my head I know that Heart Gold and Soul Silver are all around better games, but in my heart I like the original gold and silver better because they can't evoke the same sense of wonder that they did when I was younger. Incidentally, the same applies to Chain of Memories and Re:Chain of Memories).

That said, I'm not in the slightest bit trying to deny the validity of disliking KH2. To be sure, there were various reasons to be disappointed. I just find a sort of double standard about the hate, examining KH2's faults in detail while glancing over the mistakes of the previous titles and glorifying them.

When the first Kingdom Hearts was being developed, every last ounce of effort was put into it in order to make the game as perfect as it could be, because they only had one shot at making a good game.

Uh, let's not give it that much credit.
You really think they put less effort into KH2 than KH1?

If you're going to argue in that manner, go for criticism of execution, not effort. An equal amount of effort can be put into two products with vastly different results.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

this.

kh1 was juvinile but exacuted well.
kh2 had good ideas but horribley exacuted

I tend to find that people who like KH2 and dislike KH1 are mostly morons.
this too

Last edited:

The Shady Ninja

I kinda agree. But, I also think it sort of had a right to be blank/boring, because it was the first game, it was getting the story set up, etc.
It's not my favorite KH game at all, though. KH 2 pretty much erases the somewhat-suckiness from the first one.

That's just my opinion, though.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Uh, let's not give it that much credit.
You really think they put less effort into KH2 than KH1?

If you're going to argue in that manner, go for criticism of execution, not effort. An equal amount of effort can be put into two products with vastly different results.

I'll admit that was a tad extreme. My point, though, is that since the first Kingdom Hearts, a combination of the two most unlike things, was a novel concept to everyone at the time, and they seemed to want to make sure they executed it correctly.

Allister Rose

French Lover
personally kh1 had a straight forward story and had pretty amazing plot twist, but in kh2, you could just expect some of it. the only thing i didnt exprect was rikunort, but other than that, everything else was pretty simple. plus the characters development was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back