• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Keyblade Design changes (and possible explaination)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

zetvirus55

Few may have noticed (or cared) but since the first set of trailers the trio's Keyblades have spontaneously changed their looks:

Terra's: Instead of 3 rows of teeth on the end, it now has two rows and lacks the curved blade on the tip.

Aqua's: Look changed entirely, more recent screens show the weapon's head looking all spikey and having no base under the teeth, while the original version looked somewhat like kingdom key/oblivion.

Ven's: Switched from left handed to right handed, and the teeth seem to have been flipped over (now resembling a normal Keyblade).

In addition: all 3 seem to have keychains at some point in the game (people HAVE noticed)

I think this is more than redesigning, the keyblades (in the presumed absence of form changing keychains) may actually evolve in some manner (I hope, Ven's 2nd design is ugly as sin compared to the first), possibly connected to the growth system, command board, or simply storywise

This would make the most sense with Terra, as design 2 shows his keyblade in a regressed form, which would be kinda pointless to keep as a permanent design.

Reason for Ven's main hand change is probably for camera angles matching other characters/consistent animation

Raiinu K.D.

Awards
Maybe it has to do with the story. Maybe it 's just a non-canon redesign which everyone is looking too deeply into. Who knows?

MY question is: Why does everyone think they're the only ones who notice things? >__>;;

In my opinion, though I liked the original designs very much, the redesigns are a beautiful improvement.

Awards
If it's simply a redesign (which I presume it is) it's tragic. Terra's Keyblade looked so badass, now it looks somewhat ridiculous and tiny. Aqua's looks fine, but it loses some nostalgia with the scene in KH2:FM where it shows her armor and Keyblade in the Chamber of Repose.

Difference in Terra's Keyblade:
temp.png

Last edited:

Erauqs

I think they didnt have keychains before because it was early in development. Maybe they didnt know the design that they were using yet.

Awards
Hopefully, they do evolve or something. Terra's original Keyblade was SOOO badass!! His new one sucks. Same with Aqua's, I really liked her original one, I hate her new one, it's too diamond-y, and thick, and it looks shorter.

KOIKOIBA

Yeah...those Keyblades are Canon now, like they are in some official pictures. But i don't thik they throwed the old Keyblades away. I think AVT will get the old Keyblades later in the game.

zetvirus55

Ven's new design just doesn't fit compared to old...

Wow, first thread and I'm already getting a load of responses.

Allister Rose

French Lover
If it's simply a redesign (which I presume it is) it's tragic. Terra's Keyblade looked so badass, now it looks somewhat ridiculous and tiny. Aqua's looks fine, but it loses some nostalgia with the scene in KH2:FM where it shows her armor and Keyblade in the Chamber of Repose.

temp.png

if it was redesigned, nomura would have said sometihng. it's stupid to redesign something at the last minute, we already saw 2 different looks to a keyblade.

Grey

temp.png

Because of Aqua's Keyblade already appearing in the games... I think it's possible that the Keyblade design changes are simply (canon) transformations of the Keyblade.

I mean, we all knew that TAV didn't originally have Keychains. A lot of us agree that only Keyblade Masters have Keychains. It's possible that the original versions of the Keyblades that we saw initially weren't "full Keyblades", but merely precursors of them. Once Terra, Aqua, and Ven gained enough experience, they acquired Keychains, and their Keyblades evolved.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
Why do you beilive that only masters have keyblades? Sora had a keychain from the start are you saying he was a master from the start of KH1.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
I hate the redesign on Terra's keyblade it looked cool like an ancient keyblade or something.Aqua looks better last design was to plain. Ven's is meh

El Coqu?

General ShinyMog here!
Awards
I wouldnt mind if the keyblades changed because of the addition of keychains but like i said before it looks like they redesigned them into the original trailer. All three of the original keyblades looked badass before this. Plus not only for Aqua's stuff in CoR but what about the Lingering Sentiment boss battle were Terra's keyblade looks like its original form

zetvirus55

I've just reviewed the 2008 trailer and i noticed something:

In the 2009 trailer the new keyblades are shown, but the players are obviously at an early stage in the game (low HP for everybody)

In the 2008 trailer everything has higher HP and the old Keyblade designs are used

Thus at least supporting my theory of the changes being a story or level based evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back