• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Coming out as a(n) __________.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
haha, my dad was the first to know I was atheist since i knew he wouldn't get mad at me for it. I think the only hope my mom had for me being religious was the fact that I was the top of my class in Religious Ed.
My dad would get really pissed if he found out I was atheist. He would send me to Catholic school (ew) and drown me in holy water.
Yeah, apparently, I'm the only atheist in my Religious Ed. class, yet I've read and memorized (most of) three versions of the Bible. I'm the highest, too.

I also told a couple of my close friends I was atheist. One of them was like "Aren't you a little too young to think about that kind of stuff?"
:\

Last edited:

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
My dad would get really pissed if he found out I was atheist. He would send me to Catholic school (ew) and drown me in holy water.

i would DIE if i went to a catholic school. my mom thought of moving to Puerto Rico, and the only non-ghetto schools there are catholic ones. ick

Yeah, apparently, I'm the only atheist in my Religious Ed. class, yet I've read and memorized (most of) three versions of the Bible. I'm the highest, too.

That's ironic, huh?

I also told a couple of my close friends I was atheist. One of them was like "Aren't you a little too young to think about that kind of stuff?"
:\

Conversely, you could say that people your age are too young to devote themselves to a religion. :/

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
i would DIE if i went to a catholic school. my mom thought of moving to Puerto Rico, and the only non-ghetto schools there are catholic ones. ick
My sister's going to Catholic school after 4th grade, sadly.
I heard you get a better education there, but the only difference I see is you learn about religion and you have to wear uniforms (again, ew). Oh, and you have better lunches.
Conversely, you could say that people your age are too young to devote themselves to a religion. :/
I suppose you could say that.
My parents are very religious (which is a little ironic, since I'm atheist), so they really want me to be a Christian, no matter what age I am. But when you're a young age, it's hard to choose your own religion your own way, because of parents.

That's why I don't approve of getting baptized when you're an infant. They can't make those choices.

Angel

My sister's going to Catholic school after 4th grade, sadly.
I heard you get a better education there, but the only difference I see is you learn about religion and you have to wear uniforms (again, ew). Oh, and you have better lunches.

my cousin went to a catholic school for elementary when his old one got hit by a tornado.

funny story, he was dying to get out, yet he was a little upset when i told him i was atheist. :/ probably just the uniforms lol

I suppose you could say that.
My parents are very religious (which is a little ironic, since I'm atheist), so they really want me to be a Christian, no matter what age I am. But when you're a young age, it's hard to choose your own religion your own way, because of parents.

That's why I don't approve of getting baptized when you're an infant. They can't make those choices.

and that's what i hated about being catholic. it wasn't the religion itself so much as the fact that i was forced to do it.

that's why i'm glad my father had candid talks with me about religion when my mom was away on business. bigger perspectives.

daxter fan

I don't give a damn about whoever think whatever about my beliefs, it's nobody's business and I never even thought of "coming out", if anyone asked me to pray or something I'd just say "I don't believe in that stuff", and if he has a problem with that, it's his problem.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards

Exactly the same way I feel.

and that's what i hated about being catholic. it wasn't the religion itself so much as the fact that i was forced to do it

And that's one reason why a lot of people do not stay with their childhood religion or the religion they were raised around.

I know the religion I'm with is comprised mostly of converts that were not raised in the religion. That was their own personal choice.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Hah, my mom still calls me and subtly asks me if I want to go to Church with her next Sunday, or tells me about a nice friend she met in Church, etc. I usually laugh it off, but I'm going to have to tell her I'm an atheist at some point =/

IDX Rider

I told my mom I didn't believe in god anymore when I was around 14. I was baptized as a catholic when I was 7 because, well, my parents forced me to go to church (I didn't know any better so I went) and eventually I was baptized. But anyways, she's a real spiritual person. She's not all "DO AS GOD SAYS OR YOU'RE GROUNDED!" but more that she believes god exists. But when I told her, she got really mad. I never understood why. She went on about where do I think the planets came from and I said a collection of matter? I don't know. It took a while to where she couldn't tell me what to do anymore or dress me the way she wants. She doesn't even seem to be bothered when she prays before she eats (the whole family actually) and I don't partake. But out of respect, I won't touch my food until after they get done chanting away to the flowers in the middle of the table. Seems that she finally understood that I'll believe whatever I want to believe. And until that time comes, there's nothing anybody can do about it. She seemed to have accepted my choice finally.

Then I wanted to learn more about Satanism, so I bought the Satanic Bible. All I knew is that they didn't worship Satan as a devil, but more of a symbol. A symbol of the things that makes us human. So I bought it because I didn't have anything else to read and I wanted to learn more about this religion and see what it was about. Since she thought Satanism was all about devil-worshiping, I'm sure you can imagine her reaction.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
My story isn't all that much to tell because it's basically the same as Sam's (the first half anyway). My mom still thinks I'm going through a phase and we debate about it occasionally.

Angel

so uh, yeah.

my mom threw a tantrum when i declared myself to be an atheist, and said some really mean shit.

guess who's not coming home for awhile?

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
^That sucks.
I don't like parents who don't respect their kids beliefs.
It's like... you're the parent but someone else is hating in you for believing in something they don't.
I always thought parents don't want their kids atheists because they're scared they'd get damned to hell or something.
Yeah, that's my dad when he finds out I'm atheist.

Angel

I'm really sorry. It's tragic when a parent's delusion overpowers their love for a child. Perhaps she's just trying to scare you into believing?

my dad told me that my mom would be stupid if she took her faith over love of her own flesh and blood.

guess that all went to shit, eh?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Just came across this thread. I'm the only Muslim kid in my classand my best friend wanted to convert to Islam, I don't know why, but I guess I was happy not to be a loner. His parents are super catholic, so they launched a crusade against him. This was around 2 years ago when I was 14 and naive. His parents won't even talk to me, think I converted him. His older brother, who I met recently, also converted to Islam around the same age. I'm guessing it has more to do with the brother than anything.

αsiя

space coke
uggg i used to be a atheist well no i think i still am, Im just confused
this is the thing ,i dont believe in him but i do at the same time
i think its my family thats holding me back
for one ive never seen my dad go to church (only for like specific reason like a quincenera) or talk about god or jesus (only when he's drunk)but my mom's side are very religious (Christians) and they go to church everyday over there in Guatemala. Im Catholic from my dad's side but like I said he never talks about church or god
I was baptized at a young age and I went to Sunday school for two years (hated it)
Almost all my friends are atheist themselves
now im not going to call myself atheist or not because Im still not sure but if i was then i'll be to scared to tell my parents or my mom's side of the family since they are the only ones I know and love
I dont think my family will react aggressively (maybe my mom since she can get crazy) since they are really kind people
I'm afraid of them not talking to me and being disappointed in me esspecially my aunt since she just came from Guatemala to live here and Im really close to her more than I am with my mom or dad
and my aunt is probably the most religious out of my whole family

When Im ready to tell my family Im an atheist
that will probably be when Im older like 18 and when im sure im a atheist

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just came across this thread. I'm the only Muslim kid in my classand my best friend wanted to convert to Islam, I don't know why, but I guess I was happy not to be a loner. His parents are super catholic, so they launched a crusade against him. This was around 2 years ago when I was 14 and naive. His parents won't even talk to me, think I converted him. His older brother, who I met recently, also converted to Islam around the same age. I'm guessing it has more to do with the brother than anything.

Salaams and you aren't the only Muslim here!

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
I am a Christian (I think), any way I don't know if this counts, but me an my mom were fighting one day, and I told her that I don't know if I believe everything that Christians do, she got super mad, and tried to put me up for adoption. She still doesn't accept me.

αsiя

space coke
I am a Christian (I think), any way I don't know if this counts, but me an my mom were fighting one day, and I told her that I don't know if I believe everything that Christians do, she got super mad, and tried to put me up for adoption. She still doesn't accept me.

Just for what you said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back