• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Organization Members Names

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qarx

And that's where they will fail. It's like calling FFVII's Rino instead of Reno because that's how it works in the English language.
1) It's a name, rules hardly work on it.
2) It's the dying romanji of a name conceived by Japanese.
If someone who speaks a different language would pronounce my name differently, he would be wrong.
As for Xigbar's name, it's a mixture of the English writing with the Japanese writing. It helps put logical order for those outside of Japan, yet just because you're American doesn't give you the right to call a character in a name not its own.
Until we hear it pronounced differently (and I'm sure we heard it already, actually, pronounced the way most of us think it to be), it's Shion.

*sigh* I suppose you're right. Watch any dubbed anime and there you'll hear at least one mispronunciation. Especially if it was edited by 4Kids.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
*sigh* I suppose you're right. Watch any dubbed anime and there you'll hear at least one mispronunciation. Especially if it was edited by 4Kids.

4kids is actually a wonderful example to why I sounded (and am) so pissed off about this. People shrugging other cultures off because they are what they are is why so many games and anime series get butchered mercilessly when they're "translated".
Because all the tiny things that are constructed in the Japanese language that indicate relationships and personalities are neglected (Suffixes that indicate both the relationship between two characters, as well as insight onto a chara's own personality and how it views itself).
Because names that in Japanese have meaning start from being mispronounced (which in some cases doesn't even lose the meaning, only alters it to something else altogether) to being altered altogether.
The creators gave those names to the characters for whatever reason.
Speaking English gives you not the right to disregard other languages and their own rules..

Last edited:

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
Being American and speaking English gives you not the right to disregard it.

Woah, woah, woah, that's really stereotyping Americans, don't you think? Do you even know that he is an American?

I, for one, don't mispronounce names just because of the way they look. I look up the original way of pronouncing it if I don't know how.

We're not all alike.

Qarx

Woah, woah, woah, that's really stereotyping Americans, don't you think? Do you even know that he is an American?

I, for one, don't mispronounce names just because of the way they look. I look up the original way of pronouncing it if I don't know how.

We're not all alike.

I appreciate your concern, but yes, I am an American. I usually pronounce words/names based on how they look in text, and if it looks too weird, I ask someone. So yeah, I don't TRY to disregard a pronunciation, I just try to pronounce it at all. If I'm wrong, it doesn't bother me; I just change to the correct one.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I appreciate your concern, but yes, I am an American. I usually pronounce words/names based on how they look in text, and if it looks too weird, I ask someone. So yeah, I don't TRY to disregard a pronunciation, I just try to pronounce it at all. If I'm wrong, it doesn't bother me; I just change to the correct one.

I was mostly being hostile towards TrinityxLimit, if it makes you feel better >:3

Qarx

My elections give me a headache. All the stupid propaganda, and all the slander and the ads. God, it's enough to make me want to shoot a vat of novocaine in my bloodstream. And it doesn't help that this will be my first time to vote.

This is a subject I would stay away from... especially on a Kingdom Hearts thread.

TrinityxLimit

I was mostly being hostile towards TrinityxLimit, if it makes you feel better >:3
Why the hate? I just was stating that her name is Xion, regardless of how you pronounce it. Yes, some may pronounce it Shion, but I was making an assumption that yes, American translators will change things around and pronounce it Zai-on. But I still think in Japan her name was intended to be Xion, as the Organization members' names are based on anagrams of ENGLISH(maybe roman or Latin, correct if I'm wrong) letters. Roxas for example. His name is NOT some loose Romaji.The letters S,O,R,A mixed around and adding an X make his name. If it were purely Romaji, it would go like this. SO,and RA with an oddly pronounced X. Now see that doesn't make sense as in nowhere in ROKUSASU is there a SO or a RA. See what I mean? I apologize if I portrayed the the wrong message, but no need for hostility.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Like I said before - it's a mixture of both. Especially if we have the Katakana writing, trying to claim that a name is pronounced as it would be in English is pointless. If there was to be a Zai sound there, trust you me, they have ways in which they can write it.

TrinityxLimit

Like I said before - it's a mixture of both. Especially if we have the Katakana writing, trying to claim that a name is pronounced as it would be in English is pointless. If there was to be a Zai sound there, trust you me, they have ways in which they can write it.
I've already realized that and stated that it is ENTIRELY possible that the ENGLISH translators would pronounce it Zaion. I never said Shion was incorrect, either. If you paid attention, I already realized that I was in fact wrong and apologized. There is no need for you to go on with more explanation. I'm not ignorant of Japanese and I saw the error of my ways before you posted, just forgot to correct it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back