• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Weird detail in the old KH2FM+ trailer

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
Cast your minds back to February of 2007; six months after it was first announced, we finally got a full trailer for the much-anticipated Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+. It gave us our first, in-motion peek of all the new stuff we'd been promised, including the new cutscenes.

These new scenes were presented as they were set to appear in the game itself; fully cinematic but with dialogue conveyed entirely through subtitles, with no voice acting… with one, rather perplexing exception.

The very first new scene that we're given a glimpse of is Roxas waking up in front of the old mansion, with Xemnas showing up to give him his new name. Now, in the actual game, the scene is entirely voiceless like all the others. But not here!

As the scene plays out in the trailer, we hear the following dialogue:

Roxas: “Roxas…”
Xemnas: “A new. You!”

The scene appears to be going the KH1FM pre-mysterious-figure-cutscene route by using recycled voice clips. Roxas says his own name in what is clearly Jesse McCartney's voice, while Xemnas' line is delivered by, what sounds like two completely different Paul St. Peter voice clips, awkwardly and unconvincingly spliced together, YouTube Poop style.

So… what's the story here? Was this a holdover from a, frankly rather infeasible abandoned plan to give the new cutscenes voices?

This is just such a random, unexplained moment that stuck out to me all those years ago that has seemingly been ignored/forgotten by the fandom at large, and I would love to get some context on it, if any can be provided.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Dang that’s a blast from the past, haven’t seen that trailer in ages.
It might actually be like you said: it’s possible they did take bits of existing audio and pieced it together for Xemnas’ line.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Could‘ve been that they wanted the line put in at the last minute, but they didn’t have time to record it, so they stitched it in.
After all, this scene was very important to Roxas’ origin and they probably needed it as a hook. Though that does beg the question why they couldn’t record the new scenes in English at the time, when they could in Japanese🤔
I mean, yes, Final Mix were exclusively Japanese releases at the time , but still.

Chie

Awards
Though that does beg the question why they couldn’t record the new scenes in English at the time, when they could in Japanese🤔
Seems self-explanatory to me, it's in most cases much more easy and direct for a Japanese team to work with the JP VAs. You'd have to go through more people to get English lines, which would be a lot of time for only a few lines.

Back