• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ven's Checkered Shirt in 0.2

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Blizzard-

Awards
Something the other day reminded me of 0.2’s mystery of Ven’s shirt having a checkered pattern on the back as opposed to his normal pattern. Was that ever solved?

I may have stumbled across something that can shed some more light on it.

I was at a military museum recently that focused primarily on WWII. In one of the pictures, U.S. soldiers in the Pacific Theater had checkerboard patterns on their backs. Apparently, according to the tour guide, friendly fire was a problem in the thick island jungles. As such, they had the checkered patterns on their backs so that someone shooting from behind them would know who they were.

I tried to find more evidence of this online, but all I found this report - https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a262660.pdf
The report talks about soldiers carrying checkered cards, a similar idea to the checkered backs.

While this might not be the reason Ven’s clothes were changed, it does make some sense in the context of 0.2’s narrative. Aqua finishes battling phantom Aqua and then stumbles across her “friends.” Ven’s checkered back is a sign he is actually a friend, not the enemy.

It might be a far-fetched reasoning, but I think it’ll be my new head cannon at the very least.

Back