• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stolen Accs....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Steal in what sense? Do you mean someone simply used someone's account for one post or what?
Seriously, clear that up, because you're being incredibly vague.

It could just be a matter of accidentally saving your password on a public computer, leaving your account vulnerable to theft.

The purpose in doing so? I don't know why you would want to?

D

Deleted member 36435

To rep yourself, gungon.

rep iz srs bsns

That I haven't noticed anyone with a stolen account.

Macabre

Gold Member
Well,like gungonX said,it could be because a person saves their account password on a public computer and so,the account becomes vulnerable to theft.

Question,which accounts here at KHI have you seen that are stolen?

To rep yourself, gungon.

rep iz srs bsns

Huh?

That I haven't noticed anyone with a stolen account.

Well some people have done stupid things on here to get themselves banned, and made up that their account got stolen/hacked etc. to get out of a ban.

Relentless Blitz said:
Well,like gungonX said,it could be because a person saves their account password on a public computer and so,the account becomes vulnerable to theft.

Question,which accounts here at KHI have you seen that are stolen?

I don't actually know if they were really stolen, but I know a few that claimed theirs was.

Last edited:

Defender

Website
www.halochiefs.net
They could have phished them. Lots of people fall for that, and even smart people who aren't gullible might not be thinking and then they fall victims of the phisher.

T

Tattered Rebirth

Not funny Sacred, not funny at all. the
a/s/l password
bit was particularly hilarious. What you said about being white and nerdy...not so much.

I haven't seen many "stolen accounts." Question: How do you see them? That excuse was probably used many a time to get out of a ban, as someone already stated.

They could have phished them. Lots of people fall for that, and even smart people who aren't gullible might not be thinking and then they fall victims of the phisher.

But why bother with KHInsider.com?

I mean as Sir Schmoopy said, reputation. But that isn't everything. Why not eBay or something, that'd actually earn you profit?

Sacred Silver

Trumpline '08. ♥
People just have nothing better to do. It's sad what some people have to do to satisfy themselves.

MrXIII

Okay, my input on this.

Assume that I happen to see someone log out of KH Insider, leaving his account info on a public computer (or even my computer... just makes it easier), and assume I had malicious intent. I'd write down that person's username and password, just to be sure, in case I mess something up. After that, I'd log in on KHI as said person, and go to "Edit Options" in the User CP. That would have said person's e-mail address displayed, plain for me to view. After that, I'd try my luck, and assume that two things are true:

• The person uses a free e-mail host like Windows Live or Google Mail (a.k.a. GMail), so I know where I could log in with that e-mail address, provided I have the password.
  • The person uses the same password for KHI and e-mail, as he does for most other services. Sadly, this is overwhelmingly more often true than false.

If all goes well, I now have access to that person's e-mail account. I can now read that person's e-mail, and write e-mail under that person's name. If I want to be really sneaky, I change that person's password so that only I have access to it afterwards. After that, I'd try accessing sites like MySpace or Facebook, using the e-mail and password, to potentially gain even more information about that person.

BOTTOM LINE:

Having access to KHI credentials can be easily used together with common user habits to deduct further credentials from that person, including e-mail address, and personal details thanks to sites like Facebook and MySpace. Even if the person only accesses the information, but does not abuse it, it still is a major privacy invasion. What I posted above is only an example, and frankly, it doesn't even always work out as easily as that. Still, even if you fail with this 2999 times, there will be a 3000th user who is vulnerable to this method. Make sure it isn't you.

Hope this helped you understand why you should always take good care of your credentials.

Sacred Silver

Trumpline '08. ♥
Okay, my input on this.

Assume that I happen to see someone log out of KH Insider, leaving his account info on a public computer (or even my computer... just makes it easier), and assume I had malicious intent. I'd write down that person's username and password, just to be sure, in case I mess something up. After that, I'd log in on KHI as said person, and go to "Edit Options" in the User CP. That would have said person's e-mail address displayed, plain for me to view. After that, I'd try my luck, and assume that two things are true:

• The person uses a free e-mail host like Windows Live or Google Mail (a.k.a. GMail), so I know where I could log in with that e-mail address, provided I have the password.
  • The person uses the same password for KHI and e-mail, as he does for most other services. Sadly, this is overwhelmingly more often true than false.

If all goes well, I now have access to that person's e-mail account. I can now read that person's e-mail, and write e-mail under that person's name. If I want to be really sneaky, I change that person's password so that only I have access to it afterwards. After that, I'd try accessing sites like MySpace or Facebook, using the e-mail and password, to potentially gain even more information about that person.

BOTTOM LINE:

Having access to KHI credentials can be easily used together with common user habits to deduct further credentials from that person, including e-mail address, and personal details thanks to sites like Facebook and MySpace. Even if the person only accesses the information, but does not abuse it, it still is a major privacy invasion. What I posted above is only an example, and frankly, it doesn't even always work out as easily as that. Still, even if you fail with this 2999 times, there will be a 3000th user who is vulnerable to this method. Make sure it isn't you.

Hope this helped you understand why you should always take good care of your credentials.
You're like.. my new best friend. o_o

Darkness of White

Wow it's been a long time
Website
lighthearts.proboards104.com
The only times I know that someone was on someone else's account was when someone's friend was talking through his account to another friend, and when a boy's brother had died, he was just letting it be known. They both told us about it.

There is really no reason to steal a forum account, it is stupid and petty, but then there are a lot of people like that. I just wish that weren't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back