• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comics ► So I'm a new Sonic the Hedgehog fan...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key_of_Faith

Ok, so I played StH 2 and 3 on the Sega MegaDrive2 when I was a kid, and I watched some episodes of Sonic X, and I read Sonic Universe comics from #1 to #13 (I'm reading #14 now), and I know general information about the whole franchise.
However, I'm a bit confuse about the story's time line. I want to read the comics, but I don't know which one to read first. I want to watch the anime, but I don't know if it's related to the comics or no.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance!

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
The comic has nothing to do with the games, or the anime. It's its own continuity. And I'm told the comic's plot got so overly convoluted and muddled that a new writer had to essentially come in and clean it up. It's pretty fresh and new at this point. I don't read the sonic comics myself, mind you, I only know this through a friend who loves Sonic.

BladezofJustice

Wow, I'm replying to this thread REALLY late, but I love Sonic the Hedgehog so I feel like I had to give it it's due.

Like quiteMAD stated, the comics are not the same as the game but the cool part is that elements of the games make it into the comics in different ways. Characters like Shadow and Silver the Hedgehog from the games show up and not just for meaningless cameos either.

Pretty much I'll break it down like this:

Currently there are three books (at least legitimately that you need to know about)

Sonic the Hedgehog (produced under Archie): This is the book I mainly read. It takes place on Mobius (pretty much the world where sonic's cast live) and they deal with issues that never showed up in the games. It's been around since 1993. My 1st issue was #61 but then I started reading regularly since #86 until now (currently on issue #227). This book is the main book. Prior to around #95 or so when the new creative team took over, this book featured Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Rotor, Amy Rose, Sally Acorn, and other characters you never seen in the game, but still sprinkled certain elements from them: like Robotnik and such. There was actually a story arc that ran along side Sonic Adventure 1 the video game. But there was actually no problems with the continuity, they just started to gradually change the look of the characters, making them legitimately age. Sonic's now 16 or 17ish, etc (can't stay kids forever). But pretty much now, the storylines deviate away from anything the games are doing.

Sonic Universe (also produced under Archie): This book I read off and on. It's a companion book to the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic. Mobius (Sonic's world) at this point has 100s of characters and some of the B level characters get their shine in this book. Storylines that show what happen between the action of the main book happen here as well as what other characters (even villains) are doing when Sonic and company are off saving the world.

Sonic X (under Archie; see a trend??): Don't read this book. This book provides additional information as well as episodes in comic book form. It's based on the cartoon show that used to be on 4Kids and the CW (not sure if it's still on).

Pretty much read the Sonic the Hedgehog main book if you want to experience a completely new view into the Sonic continuity. The tv shows and games all have different continuities (like Transformers or GI Joe) but that's the fun of it!! Lol.

The great thing about the main Sonic the Hedgehog book is that they give great recaps in the beginning of each issue. Except for maybe #224 - #227. What's happening in this current arc is a giant buildup of what's been happening for years. Just go back and pick up ANY issue before that. Get lost in a new world :)

Amazing

Unless you're very dedicated the Sonic series I wouldn't recommend following the Archie comic Sonic series. In any case it's pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back