• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► S'mor tech help-

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!
Now that school is going to begin on Tuesday (for me at-least), and that my computer doesn't have any MS programs to help with such work. I have decided to buy a brand spankin new laptop (for my month-late b-day present).

I myself have looked at Walmart, Staples, and a bunch of other sites for a nice, and cheap laptop. But the thing is that I have no idea on what to look for when buying said technology. It would be great if anybody could just point me into the direction of a product that:

• is built sturdy,
  • has MS programs,
  • can run games some-what nicely,
  • has smooth internet functionality,
  • can use gimp; along with downloaded features(brushes, etc),
  • can also store a lot more,
  • & is under 400$ (200-300$ preferably).

Thanks! blitzball

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
To cut costs on software, if you're not going to crack/pirate any version of Microsoft Office, go with OpenOffice.

In most cases, Ubuntu (and other Linux operating systems) have a variety of software equivalents to Windows programs. The software is free and reliable, and has a competent community to help you with any software or hardware issues. That, and the system in general uses less resources than Windows operating systems. To get a laptop that seamlessly runs - say - Windows 7 64-bit would cost more than one that can run Ubuntu 10 64-bit.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!
Cool, I checked out the Ubuntu & it looks magnificent (and it being free makes it even better). So thanks a whole bunch & lot!

Though I still need somebody to help find a laptop :b

D

Deleted member 36435

Cool, I checked out the Ubuntu & it looks magnificent (and it being free makes it even better). So thanks a whole bunch & lot!

Though I still need somebody to help find a laptop :b
I would not recommend using a Linux OS without first reading into it a lot.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Yeah, if you're not tech savvy and havent had marginal familiarity with programing, at least in command prompt, then Linux is kinda really difficult to get into

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
If you just make sure to pick up a Linux install that's got a bunch of programs preinstalled, like my Ubuntu 10 did, there's not really a whole lot of coding you have to do. Ubuntu Software Centre makes it easy to get programs so you no longer need to use the command prompt/terminal, and I never had any need to use commands of any type unless I wanted to add programs or change some default settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back