• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Shimomura and her Infinite Prowess (Music)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstkh2

Since we're all gearing up for Kingdom Hearts III, which I still maintain will be the game of the century, or at least close to it, just because of the sheer amount of lore, character development, birth and rebirth that has all culminated in this one last battle, I thought it would make sense to discuss an aspect of Kingdom Hearts that I actually haven't really seen on here--but then again, I'm relatively new to the forum.
I speak, of course, of the music.

The reason I feel it is overlooked is because Shimamura has done truly amazing things in terms of storytelling through music. Her soundtrack is so comprehensive that it actually ADDS depth to the story.

Think about how much she has done! Honestly it isn't until I start thinking about the genius of her soundtrack that the series feels a bit overwhelming.

Recall how we heard Roxas' theme and Sora's theme's in KHII (both in the key of D, I might add, with Roxas' being minor and Sora's being major) and then we hear Ven's theme in BbS, which contains pieces of both, as well as a melody of his own and Dearly Beloved.

Think about how Vanitas' theme's second half was a remixed version of Sora's theme, and a dramatized version of Roxas' theme, meant to parallel how he was, in Ventus' heart, linked to Sora, which thus linked him to Roxas, as both of them were on the other side of their respective "somebody's" hearts, although it was never stated that Vanitas is a Nobody, nor am I implying it.

Think about how Rage Awakened is an explosive version of Terra's theme.

Think about the various violin solos. There are different solos for Xemnas, Terranort, Terra, Aqua and Young Xehanort (and, I'm sure, others, since KH/FF love their violin and piano, and I wouldn't have it any other way) and, depending on where you find them, you can tell different things.

My personal favorite is in the piece "Dismiss," which, as you guys know, is when Aqua battles Terranort to try and save her friend before he is lost forever, and we hear an infinitely dramatic and almost terrifying-in-its-intensity remix of "Fragments of Sorrow"--best known for being associated with Ansem SoD and the darkness that he commanded--which of course began at this battle. This was the first time the guardian, as far as we know, was ever summoned. So it makes sense the song would be so intense, since it is the birth of true evil into the world. This was the sort of "all hope it lost" moment. One of the strongest, most maniacal Wielders of all time, fully revived.

And at the end, with a slow organ in the background, you can hear a lone violin sing Terra's theme, as if that's his last desperate call for help, a call he knew was in vain. That, to me, was probably the most powerful song in the series--besides Rage Awakened, but that shouldn't even count. You could... feel the desperation in that one.

As I'm a musician, analyzing the music of Kingdom Hearts for connections such as these (even though these are all pretty surface level) has always been a joy and a fascination of mine.

For those of you who also do music, have music-y friends or just love this soundtrack yourselves, I humbly ask your help in filling this thread with more such connections. It would be cool to have a compilation of the "Musical Theory of Shimamura," if you will.
Anything in the series, any connections you see at all, are welcome!

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it would be cool to have a thread devoted to the music, since I have not seen one.

Last edited:

Oathkeyper97

Re: Shimamura and her Infinite Prowess (Music)

Oooohhhh man, you hit the nail on the head with this! Ms. Yoko's work is one of my favorite things about the KH series. In fact, a lot of the love I have for music is due to what she's done with the KH soundtrack. And of course, one of the best parts about the soundtrack is, as you pointed out and gave examples, how she works the story into the songs.

For instance, the way Vector to the Heavens is built around Xion's theme, but also transitions into Kairi's theme, and then Dearly Beloved.

(Just gonna try and spew out a few more examples here :p)

Ya know how Destati was, like, the first KH song? The one they used in the 2001 trailer? I always loved how she took that song, used it in Dive to the Heart at the beginning of the game, then referenced it in Fragments of Sorrow toward the end of the game, and then flat out blared it in Guardando nel Buio for the final battle.

And how each song used during the secret bosses (Xemnas, Lingering Will, Mysterious Figure) are used again in some remixed way when those bosses' origins are revealed.

And not to mention all of the times that Dearly Beloved is thrown into the mix, like the aforementioned Vector to the Heavens, and the End of the World, etc.

Speaking of DB and story connections, that's actually the main reason I love (and by love I mean adore) "Project Destati" so much. Like how they fit The Other Promise and Vector to the Heavens into Another Side to represent Roxas and Xion's part in the events at Memory's Skyskraper. Or how they mixed A Fight to the Death in with Desire for All That is Lost. And my favorite part? Out of the 22 songs on the album "Light", at least half of them have Dearly Beloved in them! I went from dry eyes to almost shedding tears in about 1 second while listening to that album! TWICE!

Anyway... I'm done gushing now. Thank you so much for starting this thread! I'm not a musician, and I only know a little bit about music theory, but I reeeaaally enjoy analyzing music! And the music has to be complicated enough for me to do that and enjoy it. Luckily, we know a certain composer who does a really good job making that happen! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back