• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Sharing" a paopu fruit

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
It came up briefly in another topic, and it got me thinking: the rules regarding the supposed legend of the paopu fruit are a little confusing/inconsistent.

When Riku and Selphie describe it in KH1, they explicitly say "when two people share one". Such wording would indicate that you're supposed to split a single paopu between you and one other person.

What's actually shown on screen, however, indicates that you're supposed to exchange them. As in, both parties each have a whole paopu to themselves, which they give to each other. This is shown - in spite of what Riku and Selphie say in the exact same game - as early as KH1 itself. Sora draws himself giving Kairi a paopu on the cave wall, and Kairi later adds to it, having her giving him one in return, which is also exactly what happens when they go through with the ritual in KH3.

So what's happening here, exactly? Honestly, I began to wonder if it was a mistranslation. I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I've come to learn that the language has its fair share of interesting quirks when it comes to things like context, plural verses singular use, etc.

Can anybody confirm that being the case?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Mistranslation, Nomura not remembering how it originally went, Nomura changing his mind on how it goes, take your pick.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
The verb used by Riku and Selphie in the original Japanese 食べさせあう specifically describes feeding one another. Japanese is pretty vague sometimes and doesn't specify how many are shared -- just that you feed each other. However, we can tell from the cave paintings that Sora and Kairi draw that sharing two paopu fruit was the original intention since the first game. The localization team using "share one" was a minor mistake that just wasn't too obvious until Kingdom Hearts III contradicted it.

Ansould93

Awards
It came up briefly in another topic, and it got me thinking: the rules regarding the supposed legend of the paopu fruit are a little confusing/inconsistent.

When Riku and Selphie describe it in KH1, they explicitly say "when two people share one". Such wording would indicate that you're supposed to split a single paopu between you and one other person.

What's actually shown on screen, however, indicates that you're supposed to exchange them. As in, both parties each have a whole paopu to themselves, which they give to each other. This is shown - in spite of what Riku and Selphie say in the exact same game - as early as KH1 itself. Sora draws himself giving Kairi a paopu on the cave wall, and Kairi later adds to it, having her giving him one in return, which is also exactly what happens when they go through with the ritual in KH3.

So what's happening here, exactly? Honestly, I began to wonder if it was a mistranslation. I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I've come to learn that the language has its fair share of interesting quirks when it comes to things like context, plural verses singular use, etc.

Can anybody confirm that being the case?
I think the difference between what is said and what is displayed on the screen is due to mistranslation or misinformation.

Back