• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ringtones

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.C.

JTTW
I can put ringtones on my phone through a media card, the ringtones i made can go on the phone and play fine through the media player. buts its when i set it as an actual call ringtone that it doesnt play when i receive a message, it just shows that im getting a call and no sound.

Well heres some general info before I get to my question:
1. ringtones all made at all from the same time (in Audacity)
2. all from a zip. file i downloaded. (the program i use doesnt read iTune's MP4 files)
3. all have volume changed (via mp3gain i believe)
4. has album artwork
5. i have other ringtones that do work, all made the same way, and the volume has been changed for all as well

*I'm not sure how many of these are worth mentioning but i thought i'd list them anyway just to get an idea.

so i was wondering if it was like the file, or the file size or something that makes it not work. because i noticed most of the ringtones i have that dont work are about 945KB-1 MB or above. but some that do work are about the same size.

so does anyone know anything or what to do? or anything to help? thanks

Petie

Awards
Website
www.spriters-resource.com
What kind of phone do you have? I know that when I had the RAZR, I had to re-encode MP3s to 96 kbps or lower (48 kbps worked well and made for small files, though obviously you lose quality).

The M.C.

JTTW
i have a blackberry 8830.

well like i said, other ringtones worked, and im sure they were the same kbps thing, i think the usual128kbps. and i made 2 different ringtones using the same song file, one worked and the other didnt. so i really dont know whats wrong. i may hvae to just play around with it.

D

Deleted member 36435

If they song is to long or to large in file size it won't work.
Also, did you unzip the file before going onto your phone?

The M.C.

JTTW
If they song is to long or to large in file size it won't work.
Also, did you unzip the file before going onto your phone?

haha, Schmoopy to the rescue again!

well im sure its the file size then. because they're not long (for one of my ringtones), they're all about 20 seconds, maybe one or two about 40 seconds. and another comparison to my other ringtones: my other ones are all longer, all about 30-40 seconds long. (but smaller in size)

and yes, i did unzip it. if that means opening the zip file, taking them out, then putting them back on a folder instead of the zip file. does it matter if i deleted the zip file after i put the files on a normal folder? because thats what i did, but i dont think it affects anything since the songs still work when i play them.

Edit: well seeing as that they're already pretty short and i dont want to cut out anymore, is there any way to make the file size smaller? i think taking out the album art might help, but its still only a certain amount of space it takes up. i'm guessing the only way is some sort of program, or get a different file that might be smaller.

i just checked the file sizes and they're all about 3-4 mb. and 128kbps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36435

Yeah, I think once its in MB and surpassed 128kbps its to large.

The M.C.

JTTW
haha, i bet his is newbish, but is 1000kb = 1 mb?

hmm... i have two ringtones that are under 1mb: one is 940.9kb and the other is 947.8kb. now lets see if they work.......

no they dont...

and theres this one ringtone i have that says its 1006 kb, and works.

Petie

Awards
Website
No, it's not file size or bit rate if you have the Blackberry 8830. I have the Pearl myself and have full length, 320 kbps, with album artwork songs working on it perfectly. I've never used Audacity myself though so I'm not sure what could be going wrong on that end.

Now, you said you made two ring tones from the same song and only one of them worked?

The M.C.

JTTW
No, it's not file size or bit rate if you have the Blackberry 8830. I have the Pearl myself and have full length, 320 kbps, with album artwork songs working on it perfectly. I've never used Audacity myself though so I'm not sure what could be going wrong on that end.

Now, you said you made two ring tones from the same song and only one of them worked?

yeah, so i made a ringtone called So Small, then So Small 2 (a few weeks maybe?) later for a slightly different part of the song. (only So Small 2 works)

i actually have 2 versions of that song, one HQ and the other not. but both ringtones named "So Small" made from both songs (HQ and non-HQ), wouldnt play either.

and im not too worried about the So Small ringtone because like i said i have one nearly the same that does fortunately, work. its the other ones im worried about.

but slightly back on the "so small" problem:
im not sure if it has to do with file name? and related example is whenever i put a tag on Photobucket, then i do a little adjusting to the tag. so i delete the Photobucket one, and save the new version with the same file name and upload it, but then it looks exactly the same. im not sure the exact order or what i do, but its something like that. and in the end i usually have to save it as another name, then upload it.

i tried making another ringtone of the same song a few days ago, wouldnt work.

first ringtone was called: All American Girl
this one was called: All-American Girl

Petie

Awards
Website
It shouldn't matter but you can try naming the files without spaces or special characters. You can take out capitals too but I think that would affect it even less. For example, try So_Small, so_small, SoSmall, etc. Sometimes spaces can throw things off but I thought the Blackberries were smart enough to handle them.

D

Deleted member 36435

Maybe the data was corrupted? Sometimes happens for Saved Data on games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back