• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Request: Real instruments in KH and KH2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

zhengyingli

There's been a debate floating in some youtube comments that all of the original KH and KH2 tracks used real instruments, just not live recording, and also that "Dive into the Heart" in both original games used live orchestra recording. I think I am correct in saying that even if they had sampled some real instruments, what ultimately came out of the PS2 KH games were produced by its internal tone-generator, therefore none of the sound were actual samples. As for "Dive into the Heart," at least regarding the instruments, were obviously synthesized similar to the rest of the PS2 KH gameplay music.

My request is this:

I'm ready to be wrong on this subject, but are there any credible sources confirming what I've said above? And I don't think the 1.5 remix interview was specific enough. The only source I can think of was SquareEnixMusic's reviews of the music from all those years ago but said reviews have seemed to disappeared.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It was done with an internal tone generator.

---If KH -HD 2.5 ReMIX- were to come out, would you re-record the music?
Shimomura: KH2 uses the built-in tone generator too. In the KH series, the battle music and field music cross-fade so we had to include the data of both battle and field tracks compressed to what would originally be the memory of one track. I was so glad that we could use live music this time... If KH -HD 2.5 ReMIX- comes out, there's no way I'd just leave the built-in tone generator in as is (laughs). I couldn't betray everyone's expectations like that. There are around 100 tracks, though...

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX Sound Team Interview! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

I don't know how specific you want to get with this.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Fun fact: The lead clarinet for the Traverse Town theme WAS real, and was played over otherwise synth instruments.

EDIT: More fun facts to answer your questions. The choir for Dive Into The Heart WAS real, but recorded in very poor quality and played as though it were a soundfont on a midi. It was cut into multiple sound files, so the complete choir recording isn't intact.

I know this stuff because I've dug into the files in an attempt to make a soundfont.

zhengyingli

EDIT: More fun facts to answer your questions. The choir for Dive Into The Heart WAS real, but recorded in very poor quality and played as though it were a soundfont on a midi. It was cut into multiple sound files, so the complete choir recording isn't intact.

So in other words, the separate choir files simply took turns streaming in sync with the tone generator? I actually didn't expect any streaming to occur outside of title and credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back