• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

RAM Question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralCobb

The front of my computer says I have 512Mb of RAM, but in system properties it says I have 448.

Can I still run games that require 512?

SSLaertes

Seeker of Darkness
Well, here's the deal. The overall, like all those computer models have an estimated amount of 512 mb ram. It is still capable of running 512 mb games. You might run into a few slow downs just because it's scrapping the minimums.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
For future reference, your video card is probably an onboard one that uses shared memory. Meaning, it uses your system's RAM as video RAM, isntead of having it's own dedicated memory (as a lot of cards do).

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
From his first post, I can tell that its a 64MB shared onboard video.
Which means that you *do* have 512MB of ram.. but 64mb of it is shared for the onboard video card.
And you really don't want to go get the game, until you get a little more ram.

Its like this:
512MB (System Max) - 64MB (Shared Video) - 128-256MB (Windows)= 192-320MB of ram max.
And even with a swap file/virtual memory.. it isn't going to help.
My advice is just wait to upgrade the memory first.

Also, if its a fairly recent game, you'll probably need a good video card for it, not an onboard piece of junk.
(Most recent games have some pretty high specs..)

The best thing is to run the SRTest utility:
System Requirements Lab

It should be able to tell you more accurately if you can handle the game.
(It has most recent games in the past few years.)

It will also let you know what kinds of problems may arise, as from lack of memory or video card, etc..

Which should give you a better idea of how well your system will run the game.

~~Azurith
PS>> SRTest isn't a 'definate' answer by any means.. it only shows the potential. I've gotten games working on machines where it barely met the 'minimal' specs, and had them running great.

GeneralCobb

I actually ran across that test the other day, everything save for the RAM checked out. So I guess I will wait, thanks All for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back