• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kairi_KHII

Sora_KHII and I have come to the conclusion that Tidus' name is pronounced
Tee-dus. My boyfriend, however seems to believe that it is pronounced Ty-dus. Tell me what you guys think.

C

chaoschao

That's tough, because I don't believe that they even say his name in any of the Voiced parts in FFX. I believe that it is Tee-dus just because Kingdom Hearts pronounced it that way, and it is a SE game. It's the same thing with Tee-fa and tif-a from FFVII and You-fie or Yuf-ie. No one knooooows!

S

Sora key master

its tee-dus but i call him ty-dus because it sounds better

Sora_KHII

You all are weird. If you know it's 'Tee-dus' why say it any other way?
Wakka said it in KH so, its official. It is indeed 'Tee-dus'.

A

Alastar250

In the english language if a vowel is followed by a constinent they over-pronounce the vowel. In the word Tidus, the D is the Constinent and the I is the Vowel. There for "TY-Dus"

Alastar

Puddle Jumper

Hobo with a shotgun
Website
www.debasedtothis.org
So actually its Taithus

Okay o.0

I pronounce it as it is officialy pronounced: Teethus

I actually had to go look at the topic again to see if i'm typing things right

cuz Tidus and Teetus

After saying it a dozen times it doenst make any sence

classycat34

Hey peeps, it is actully "Tee-dus" coz in KH they say it that way. and if ppl got the 2nd disk wit final fantasy X. the voice actor, pronounces it "Tee-dus". but say it either way. hu cares in the long run.

K

Kairi_KHII

Heh...I knew that I was right Alastar (that's my boyfriend) You should listen to me more often. Everyone else that replies knows that in Kingdom Hearts, on Destiny Islands, Wakka says, "Hey TEE-dus." Well, there you go, here's your proof.

Keyblade88

Sora key master said:
its tee-dus but i call him ty-dus because it sounds better
Bam...

But I still find it comical that in 2 freakin games, NOBODY says Tidus...NOBODY, not even in text...(excluding menus and such)

S

Shadow Keyblade

It's tee-dus,just listen to the people in the game say his name.

Mikail

That's What She Said
Awards
you guys have to remember.. Wakka said Tee-dus, have you herd his accent lately???? I seriously think its Ty-dis.. At least thats how like everyone says it.

Salsa

Website
www.free-webspace.biz
Mikail said:
you guys have to remember.. Wakka said Tee-dus, have you herd his accent lately???? I seriously think its Ty-dis.. At least thats how like everyone says it.

Wakka's accent has no bearing on how he pronounces Tidus's name. And I have proof to support the fact that it is, in fact, pronounced "Tee-dus". (Well, technically "Tee-da", but I'll get to that in a minute XD)

Click me.

The above is an actual screenshot from square-enix.co.jp, the official Japanese site for Squeenix. If you would like to verify this for yourself, go here: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/finalfantasy/index.html ...then scroll to the bottom, click "Final Fantasy X," skip the intro, click "Character," then click on the little icon of Tidus. The image I've provided has not been altered in any way, except cropping it so that it wouldn't kill your browsers.

Now, let's take a closer look at that Japanese under the word "Character."

Click me, too!

This, as you may be able to imagine, is what Tidus's name looks like written in Japanese (specifically, in Katakana). I know most of you don't read Japanese, but don't panic! That's what I'm here for.

See that first symbol? It's "te". (Pronounced: "teh" like in "television") The symbol right next to it is "i". (Pronounced "ee", like the sound in the name "Christine") To verify that I have not lied to you about what the symbols mean, look at this Katakana chart that I've borrowed from this website. Now that you can be sure I've given you the correct symbols, let me back up the pronunciation I've offered you with information from Wikipedia Online Dictionary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_language#Vowels

Now, when those sounds are put together, ordinarily they would make the sound "tei" (sounds like the "ta" part of "tape"); however, the "i" is smaller than the "te", which means it makes the "ti" sound. This was actually the hardest fact for me to gather evidence for, because until very recently the Japanese have only used "chi" to stand in for "ti". However, proof HAS been found; head on over to this website, search for "ti", then read 'em and weep. The smaller "i" next to the "te" turns it into "ti" (pronounced like "tea"). We have now established that the first half of Tidus's name in Japanese is pronounced "tee".

But we're not done yet! Before I move on to the next symbol, do you see that line in between the "ti" and the symbol I haven't covered yet? In Kanji, this symbol would be "ichi," which means "one" (you know, the number). However, in Katakana, all it means is to double the vowel from the preceding symbol. Therefore this is no longer "ti" but, instead, "tii". An example of this line (never did learn what the name of it was o.o!) in use is on the page I provided for "ti", if you don't believe me.

Now for the last symbol. It is the symbol for "ta" (check the Katakana chart I provided) with dakuten (") next to it. This turns the symbol into a "dakuon" symbol, and the sound is no longer "ta" but "da". If you don't believe me, feel free to check out this image, which I borrowed from the same site I got my Katakana chart from earlier. :3

Therefore, Tidus's name is "Tiida" (pronounced "tee-dah"). There was no "s" sound in his original name, because in Japanese there is no sound for just "s". What confuses me is if the creator wanted the name to be "teedus", why didn't he make it "tidasu", since in "su" the "u" is usually silent... Ah well, I'm rambling.

In any case, I've never HEARD his name pronounced in Japanese, because I do not own a Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts. (His name was never said in Final Fantasy X or X-2 because you can change his name, and it would be kind of funny to hear everyone call him Teedus if you named him Bob.) So I can't say for sure if the Japanese pronounce his name with an "s", even if one isn't written there. But "s" or no "s", the first part of his name is indesputably pronounced "tee", and not "tie".

Funnily enough, although I went to great lengths to prove to you all that his name is pronounced "teedus", I personally prefer to call him "Tye-dus". To each his own.

Cael

Silver Member
Website
tinyurl.com
Wakka sounds like he is Jamaican o_O...it may be Tee-dus but I say Ti-dus because it makes it easier for me to remember and spell.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Wakka calls him Tee-dus, but I thought it was just an accent at first. I suppose if it was meant to be Ty-dus, it'd be spelt that way or Wakka would say it differently. I don't think a simple accent can make something go from Eye to EEE.

Last edited:

Mikail

That's What She Said
Awards
quitejaded said:
Wakka calls him Tee-dus, but I thought it was just an accent at first. I suppose if it was meant to be Ty-dus, it'd be spelt that way or Wakka would say it differently. I don't think a simple accent can make something go from Eye to EEE.

actually accents could do that. It wouldn't change the whole word but more or less the vowels in the word. It really depends on the accent though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back