• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Power of Waking (again)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
Sorry to bring back this topic again, but I still need some help with the Power of Waking.
Let's summarize what we know:

The Power of Waking is meant to awaken sleeping hearts. But since the edges of sleep and death touches, it is possible to abuse this power to bring back people from the dead. I think Kairi revival is the best example of missusing this power. At least it looks like Sora is doing something pretty magical with keyholes and stuff which indicates that he is altering the fabric of the world, which causes hime to disappear at the end.

However, I do not get the first time he rewrote history.
From what I understand, he used the power of waking to save the guardians from the deamon tide, producing a new worldline (he didn't travel back in time, he just force-pushed the new events by saving the guardian hearts, which is probably the same trick used to save the dandelions). Luxu mentions that in the reports as well.
But when exactly did Sora use the power of waking for the Guardians? He never used his keyblade to awaken or reconstruct any heart. He was just following his friends heards captured by the Lych Heartless. The hearts had not vanished. You can literally see them. So beating the lych is just regular heatless bashing, not power of waking.

Am I missing something there?

okhi12

Awards
According to Young Xehanort, the power of waking is truly meant to travel through hearts to reach worlds. It can be used in a reverse manner, also allowing for lost hearts to be restored, but that is not the "natural" way of using it. Even Mickey said that the PoW isn't to go chasing hearts around. Sora used the power of waking in a reverse manner because he traveled to worlds to reach the hearts the lych held captive.
It's confusing because Yen Sid always talked about the PoW like it's primary purpose is awakening hearts, when it actually is a travel method by tracing connections.

I'm not sure I fully understand it either but given that the power of waking can be used to travel to hearts, that allows reaching a sleeping or lost heart and restoring it. By itself, the act of restoring is not part of the actual power of waking; but the PoW is needed in order to reach the heart because it traces the connection. The PoW is just a method of reaching otherwise unreachable places.

I bet using the reverse PoW to reach and restore a lost heart such as Kairi's or the guardian's after the demon tide attack causes a more severe strain on oneself than restoring a sleeping heart, because a sleeping heart is still within reality, while a lost heart requires bending reality in order to restore it. The price of doing so repeatedly is being erased from this reality.

AegisXIII

Awards
Thanks for the explanation. it seems that everyone understand it differently. ^^
Which leads to the question: are we supposed to understand it at this point or is it gonna be explained in a future installement?For example, time travel in DDD was confusing, but Remind made it clearer. So maybe power of waking will get explained in SHibuya or something.

D

Deleted member 252753

I hope we get some more information on it, particularly as we haven't yet seen the 'correct' use of the Power to traverse a heart to reach worlds (as far as we know) so I would like to get more about that.

AegisXIII

Awards
I hope we get some more information on it, particularly as we haven't yet seen the 'correct' use of the Power to traverse a heart to reach worlds (as far as we know) so I would like to get more about that.
I am pretty sure the correct way is what Riku does at the end of ddd. Traverse Sora's heart to be restored.
Also with Ventus probably.

At least for me, the power of waking is reaching the station of awakening of someone and unlocking it to get restored. Which is why I am so confused with the traversing worlds to reach hearts thing and the tear in the fabric of time.

NoWay

Awards
Didn’t Sora also use the PoW correctly to save Ven and Roxas?

D

Deleted member 252753

Sorry, I shouldn't have said 'correct' before. I meant what YX said about the Power of Waking being to traverse hearts to reach worlds, and that doesn't correspond to waking up a sleeping heart either.

AegisXIII

Awards
Sorry, I shouldn't have said 'correct' before. I meant what YX said about the Power of Waking being to traverse hearts to reach worlds, and that doesn't correspond to waking up a sleeping heart either.
Does it mean the sleeping heart reaches Worlds?

SuperNova

Awards
The way I understood it was the PoW gives the Wielder the ability to awaken sleeping hearts. To trace the connections of the heart and awaken the sleeping heart from within. However, what Sora did was the exact opposite. Instead of traveling inwards to where the sleeping heart lies, he traveled outwards via worlds to find the hearts of his companions. I don't know how this gave him the ability to rewrite time however, maybe it was a combination of KH-style Time Travel and PoW. Since Sora did tell Terra-Nort "You aren't the only one who can time travel!"

Frankly I just see this as another one of Nomura's Deus Ex Machinas to get himself out of the corner he wrote into. It's mighty convenient that Sora lost the PoW at the end of KH3 and got stuck in the Final World. A little too convenient.

AegisXIII

Awards
I don't know about extracting a corner he wrote. It happened out of nowhere so I rather see it as a heavy foreshadowing about future explanations related to the keyblade war. After all, the dadelions survived (probably using the same trick).
I understood that the power of waking is supposed to allow a heart to come back to us, not to go to the heart. Young xehanort used the lych on purpose, so he knew what he was doing and that he was overwriting history (or create a new worldline, like luxu said).

It's tricky, but we will get more explanation in the future, I guess.

But why on earth would Chirithy adive Sora to use the power of waking correctly in remind if he knows he is doomed? And when young xehanort tells sora he is doomed, is it because he can sense future Sora inside old Sora?

And why on earh would he not be freaked out to see future Sora (meaning that he lost the final battle).

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I believe that Nomura changed the definition and effects of the Power of Waking after DDD. DDD was already a confusing game but it succinctly described PoW as something to awaken sleeping hearts. It makes sense, waking and sleeping, core themes of DDD.

When I first saw that exchange in San Fransokyo I felt like I missed a big cutscene or moment. I legit paused my game and went to twitter and then Youtube to rewatch cutscenes. You know when you read a page and you can't understand what it reads so you read it over and over again? That's what happened to me. Obviously it still connects with DDD because of what Riku did in the end, but the retroactive addition felt so out of place.

As of now the PoW is a Deus Ex Machina, and I promise you that Nomura will create another one to rescue Sora.

Back