• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Playing in Japanese: Things to Consider

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakide

Howdy.

As I've kinda mentioned before, I'm planning to play the Kingdom Hearts series in Japanese. Maybe there are some of you that actually played some of the games in Japanese?

I just wanted to ask you if there are some things in the games that could prove difficult, if not impossible, for me to understand. I'm not necessarily talking about plot or something. More like certain gameplay mechanics that even a person playing the game in his/her native language takes needs some time to understand. I'm expecting that most things will be explained via tutorial messages, but what if there are some things that are not or unsufficiently explained? Or maybe there could be parts where I'm likely to miss crucial information (due to the "language barrier")...

I know close to nothing about Kingdom Hearts, I've played a few hours of 358/2 Days on a friend's NDS, and I've also played Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, which does seem to have quite a similar combat system.

Apart from that, is there something to know about kingdom Hearts? (Again, I don't mean plot, so please no spoilers...)
Like, for example, how to upgrade your Keyblade? Dunno, maybe such things.

As for language... Well, currently I can read about 300 kanji. I'm certainly planning to extend this number until I'm getting the game on Christmas or something, so that I can read the subtitles and text boxes somewhat fluently (it remains to be seen if I'll be able to at least reach 600).
I would say that my vocabulary and grammar are "quite" good, so even if I probably won't understand every single detail, it should be enough to understand at least 80% ~ 90% of the whole thing.

Some time ago, I've played Crisis Core in Japanese. I even tried to watch anime without subtitles. And even if I found it's a little too hard for me to keep on doing this, I was kinda surprised how much I was actually able to understand. So now I somehow feel ready to try this again (via Kingdom Hearts et alii). I think it's a good way to practise a language, and I need to get used to Japanese script until I don't feel scared the moment I see it. ^^
Also, kanji should be much more recognizable and comfortanle to look at on a 1080p screen compared to that pixelated PSP screen (where some kanji had such a high "stroke density" that they almost looked like squares). ;P

So, what would you say? How well am I prepared to play Kingdom Hearts in Japanese? Are there certain parts that are difficult to understand, or is the gameplay mostly self-explanatory? (Non-Japanese players are also welcome to answer if they feel like they wouldn't have understood something if they had played the game in a foreign language.)

I hope I've asked my question comprehensibly enough. ^^

As always, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards
There should be no problem for you. The language used in Kingdom Hearts in both plot and gameplay is very simple, plus some words and phrases tend to be used excessively so it is even simpler to get use to.

The only difficulty I see for you is remembering the kanji and katakana for various materials. In KH 1 & 2, you can synthesize items using materials collected. And in BBS you have to combine various materials and command panels to make new moves and abilities. So some memorizing or note writing is necessary if you do not want to rely on the guide.

One another problem with playing in Japanese is the font Kingdom Hearts uses. If you are very accustomed to reading standard textbook font, you will need some getting used to. Most important one is the kanji they used for darkness, instead of 闇, the 門 they used is the simplified 门 (btw this is never used normally). This term appears all the time so you should be informed in case the kanji confuses you.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Apart from that, is there something to know about kingdom Hearts? (Again, I don't mean plot, so please no spoilers...)
Like, for example, how to upgrade your Keyblade? Dunno, maybe such things.

To answer this question specifically, Kingdom Hearts 1 uses a standard, RPG equipment screen: you upgrade your Keyblade by earning a new one, going into your equipment screen and swapping it out like you would a sword in any Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior. Your permanent teammates have equipment that works the same way. This is true in most games in the series: KH2, BBS, coded and DDD.

Only Chain of Memories and Days are more complicated. Since you have experience with Days, I can understand why you're confused!

By the way, which version are you playing? The PS2 original, the PS2 Final Mix, or the 1.5 HD collection?

Sakide

Wow, thanks a bunch! Now that was helpful.

So it's similar to Materia Fusion in Crisis Core? 'Cause that did confuse me a little at the beginning. Well, I'll keep my notepad handy. And in case of need, that stuff should be up on the internet.

Now that kanji thing is interesting. I'll probably understand it when they say that kanji out in a cut scene. Are there more such examples besides yami?

Anyways, I thank thee for thy answer. :3

@Blackdrazon

Thank you very much!

Well, I wouldn't call it "experience"...

And what was that in Chain of Memories? Something with cards? ;D

I'll go for the HD 1.5 ReMIX. And then the 2.5 one, should I still be motivated. ^^

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards

And what was that in Chain of Memories? Something with cards? ;D

I'll go for the HD 1.5 ReMIX. And then the 2.5 one, should I still be motivated. ^^

There is no language worry for CoM, there are more numbers and alphabets than words anyway. Just go along with the tutorials and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back