• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

OOUU! You said a “bad word”

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro-XIII

Howdy folks, I believe a discussion about profanity is needed. Now because of the set rules set by the good people here at KHI, we need to set some rules so this doesn’t get deleted and me banned.
[#1]No cursing, swearing, or using and word our modern society deems “profane”

Yeah, just one, I believe that dose it. And who knows? Maybe this thread may change your perception on naughty words.

Okay, like most things in our great society our verbal morality dates back to biblical ethics, so profanity is no different. Here is what the

“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

Exodus 20:7 from the good ol’ King James.

This means no “g-dangets” but if your not either Jewish, Muslim, or Christian you have no reason not to say it.

“As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones. Let it be unto him as the garment [which] covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually”.

Psalms 109:17-19 KJV

Pastor’s Translation: For the vile person will speak villainy, and his heart will work iniquity, to practice hypocrisy, and to utter error against the Lord, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.
Nitro’s Translation: No blessings for “potty mouths”

As far as the bible goes, that just about does it, the rest is repetitive. But let us look at what a profane word really is.
Profane: characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious; not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (opposed to SACRED).
Synonyms: blasphemous, sacrilegious, impious, ungodly. 2. temporal. 3. unhallowed. 5. low, mean, base. 7. desecrate.

Wow! Nothing new learned I hope. Al-righty, to sum it up it means to say something with malice, mean based, against some one. Hmmmm, you mean if I use the word shiznez to refure to a random item I dint’s cures, or if I use the term effing to describe sexual intercourse I did nothing wrong? RIGHT IN DEEDY! To days society has mistaken the alternative use of a bad word as the bad word. So we were taught that a word that can be bad is a bad word al the time, and that is wrong. With out malice intentions, the word is not bad. But if you’re not a Jew, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist (Meaning Atheist and Scientologist) then you have no reason not to swear.
That just about covers it, I have the feeling that I left something out but if you people bring it to my attention, I will be gladly to enlighten your ignorance!
What do yall think?

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

You have no understanding of that commandment. Why would God care about a mere name? God cares about covenants (read any part of the OT). The commandment is referring to making a covenant on God's Name ("By God, I'll..."), and breaking it.

“As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones. Let it be unto him as the garment [which] covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually”.
Same as above - cursing is not mere "dirty words", it was the very real act of calling a doom upon another person - akin to our "damn you".

And so your last definition disqualified blasphemies - basically the bread and butter of most atheists (flying spaghetti monster and kin). A further example of why "political correctness" flies in the face of free speech.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You have no understanding of that commandment. Why would God care about a mere name? God cares about covenants (read any part of the OT). The commandment is referring to making a covenant on God's Name ("By God, I'll..."), and breaking it.

Either that, or his real name, which is YHVH.

As for the topic itself, hi, that was the ancient era, this is the contemporary era. We have a different set of social norms, and if the words didn't carry a "bad" meaning, they'd be useless when used to vent, which is what they're there for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back