• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Non-Games" And Political Messages With Video Games As A Medium

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Your opinion on the subject?

• Great use of video games as a medium.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Nonsense that I couldn't care less about.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other (please explain why you feel this way)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Atomsk

Philosophical and political messages aren't anything particularly new to video games, in fact many other games have managed to include them over the years, but this article sparked a bit of curiosity in what they were calling a "non-game".

Article Here: Play The Killer, Then Ask Yourself, 'What Kind of Person Am I?' - Giant Bomb

I don't think I'm alone here when I say that this argument is silly, video games with political messages trying to spread word of first-hand encounters people have made in various parts of the world, whether it be over random acts of kindness and cultural mindsets or drawing attention to corruption or poverty through this particular medium. Stripped down you could likely say that it's just a form of interactive poetry.

I'm interested in seeing your guy's opinions on this, so 'Interactive Poetry' or 'Evil, Boring, Unrelated Nonsense With The Misleading Facade of Being A Real Video Game'.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I don't think videogames have to be limited to the idea of basic "fun", because the medium has so much more potential than that.

State

Awards
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots - I dunno if it was intentional, but Liquid Ocelot's weapon to repel the Patriots' system, Guns of the Patriots (or GOP) resembles the other name of the Republican party; GOP. Again, I dunno if it was intentional, but it was there.

Lord Atomsk

Metal Gear Solid 4 had more than just that (at least this is what I think), it was indirectly warning of what could happen maybe when we finally reach the level of technology that allows for cybernetic implants and the possible dangers of it, and some good ol' anti-war messages as well (a prime example would be the intro). Also with Raiden they managed to raise a bit of awareness on child soldiers and what methods were used in real life to assist in training them (remember the gunpowder bit in I think MGS2?).

These "non-games" are more just bare-bones interactive with the messages the devs want to get out being more direct, plenty of potential in the medium like Wehrmact said, why limit it?

It just seems like the majority of video games that you see today are mindless/generic FPS games, and that's all a majority of the gamer demographic wants. Metal Gear Solid had a level of depth to it which I considered a sort of a breath of fresh air. I would honestly like to see more of a degree of realism in some titles, especially those revolving around war. Not all of them of course, video games like every other medium shouldn't, and won't have all of the fun sucked out of them by making them entirely serious.

(In regards to the cybernetic implant, exciting news on a new contender for flash called 'PRAM' which a prototype for measured 32nm wide. Source: Faster and stronger: next-generation memory tech outperforms flash)

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I agree with the article, for some reason people have just decided that all interactive experiences must be games, and must, by definition, be fun. While I don't expect (or want) the more experimental stuff to be showing up on major game consoles any time soon, I think the medium has plenty of area to explore on the internet and other outlets, like the flash game highlighted in the article.

This is good, since really experimental games would be hard to distribute through traditional means anyway, since most games have fairly high budgets, and relatively few people are going to want to buy a $40 game about walking a dude to a killing field and shooting him, so that budget wouldn't be met. Basically, I think video games are moving to a similar place as books and movies. The vast majority of games will be mass-audience, entertainment based stuff, but "deeper" experiences will be available in varying degrees for those who seek them out.

I actually think we're already near to the point where video games have moved beyond being just games. Many modern games propose interesting dilemmas, and have just as much plot value as they do "fun value." Nothing like The Killer, but we're getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back